follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #29
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charged86 View Post
i understand bud i am on your said but they clearly stated

Body is reasonably free of dings
Paint is reasonably free of scratches and chips
"reasonably free" has a wide range of exceptable to them

I do see your point, and I would agree there 2 spots that classify as a "ding" However I do not think that a ding a dent or whatever with paint clearly missing/chipping and rusting would be acceptable to toyota for their certified program.

However both of the serious dings require the panel be repainted and blended, and to not fix the other dings right behind it is pretty much just careless and stupid.

Who knows, regardless I spoke with local dealers who said that those 2 major spots would not be acceptable.

I'm just happy their willing to make it right. I was not trying to be an asshole about it. I was very calm, I did not directly threaten to do anything if they did not. I simply said I do not belive this is right via their definition, he read the guidelines back to me, said if more than 2 panels need to be repainted it cannot be certified so they used touchup paint on those spots. The only thing remotely threatening I said was I would like to speak with you before I take this any further to see if we can make this right.

IE: Picture 3 in my first post, I would say thats acceptable with toyotas certified guidelines. However its on the same panel as the deep dent with paint chipping. It would be silly to not fix that seeing as the panel will need to be sanded down, pulled/filled in and repainted anyways.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #30
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
its a pre owned car
Old 07-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #31
Shady195

Quote:
Originally Posted by charged86 View Post
its a pre owned car
Certified Pre-Owned which is held to a higher standard via their guidlines than a simple pre-owened.

I would not even be arguing this had i just bought a used one without the certified bit... However certified tends to come with a bit of a higher price than a straight up used vehicle with a higher standard advertised with it, hence my frustration. WHen price haggling and they make the argument that its certified hence the price bla bla bla I'd say its a bit of a problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shady195 For This Useful Post:
Jyn (07-18-2014), Lonewolf (07-18-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #32
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
Certified Pre-Owned which is held to a higher standard via their guidlines than a simple pre-owened.

I would not even be arguing this had i just bought a used one without the certified bit... However certified tends to come with a bit of a higher price than a straight up used vehicle with a higher standard advertised with it, hence my frustration. WHen price haggling and they make the argument that its certified hence the price bla bla bla I'd say its a bit of a problem.
You don't need to explain anything, let the people who are cool with visible rust and paint cracking on a certified car buy one and enjoy it in that condition, meanwhile you can enjoys yours in the condition it should be, lol
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #33
Shady195

I got an email saying that management at the dealer is looking over the quote I sent to them. We'll see what they say. Thanks for those that supported and agreed I should fight it.

After having my Honda Fit backed into in a parking spot and getting fucked on trade in because of an accident showing, I just feel like I can't fucking win lately.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #34
Shady195

So I happened upon less vague guidelines set by toyota in regards to their standards when selling certified used..

What a ding or a dent is aside.. Based on this alone without the paint chipping the car should have failed inspection.

http://hub.toyota.com/hub/portals/0/..._standards.pdf

I'm also going to the dealer on monday to get all of this cleared up. Most of the issues can be done via PDR it seems. However the 1 chipped spot in particular is what im worried about. That I want fixed more than anything.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #35
Shady195

A little teaser of some of the phone dealings.

http://clyp.it/mzi3bxn5
Old 08-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #36
Shady195

In case anyone is curious I drove the car out to the dealer today. They brought an outside vendor in to do the PDR on all spots. Pretty much every spot was able to be take care of via PDR except for 2. They had their own body guy do an estimate as an outside customer commimg in to get work done and wrote me a check based on that estimate to have my local body shop do the repair. Unfortunately the check was a little light but given the relationship I have with the body shop they will be fixing the spot with the major paint chipping properly. While this entire situation sucked I must say the dealership was quite polite and nice about the whole situation. They even bought me lunch while I waited.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #37
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post
In case anyone is curious I drove the car out to the dealer today. They brought an outside vendor in to do the PDR on all spots. Pretty much every spot was able to be take care of via PDR except for 2. They had their own body guy do an estimate as an outside customer commimg in to get work done and wrote me a check based on that estimate to have my local body shop do the repair. Unfortunately the check was a little light but given the relationship I have with the body shop they will be fixing the spot with the major paint chipping properly. While this entire situation sucked I must say the dealership was quite polite and nice about the whole situation. They even bought me lunch while I waited.
Should had given the check to that dealer's body shop and make them eat the loss.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #38
Shady195

Everytime I think its all going okay and I'm done getting fucked.. My cheeks get spread wide again.

Got the bad spot fixed/Painted. Took it to a bodyshop I trust that has done work for my family over the course of the past 20 years. They have always done a good job. Because of this I'm sure they will make it right.. but still for the next 2 weeks I need to live with this while the shop is on vacation...

Don't get me wrong.. I understand any tricoat pearl is extremely difficult to completely match and I expected maybe a slight different in the right light.. at the right angle. However I did not expect to walk out and see half the side of my car look bleach white, along with the fucking chip guard just painted right over.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #39
Silver Ignition
APEXHNTR

Drives: 10 Series FR-S #1867
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
that is the absolute worst blend job I have ever seen.
#1867 of 2500

in the garage...2001 Toyota 4Runner [Solid Axle Rock Toy], 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT [Shitwagon], 2004 Honda Interceptor VFR800 [daily rider], 1978 Suzuki GS750 [Café Racer]
Silver Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #40
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have spent a ton of time tinting and doing test panels for this color. I have done work on a few whiteout cars at my shop. That's how they always look after the standard 2 base/3 pearl coats. I had to tint the formula slightly but the main issue is the pearl coat. With 2 base/7 pearl I can get bumpers to match the body almost 100%. So much better than factory even does (which are usually yellower). I've also replaced a quarter panel on one and blended out in the door and with the extra mid coats the blend was invisible.
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #41
Shady195

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire481 View Post
I have spent a ton of time tinting and doing test panels for this color. I have done work on a few whiteout cars at my shop. That's how they always look after the standard 2 base/3 pearl coats. I had to tint the formula slightly but the main issue is the pearl coat. With 2 base/7 pearl I can get bumpers to match the body almost 100%. So much better than factory even does (which are usually yellower). I've also replaced a quarter panel on one and blended out in the door and with the extra mid coats the blend was invisible.
@spitfire481 should I bother mentioning this to them to see if it helps? I've seen them blend pearl on other cars and it looked great. Its from my past experience a great shop. I hope they will make it right but the more I look and criticize the more it looks like it was rushed before the shop closed for vacation...

Theres a few spots where there is dirt in the clear that I can feel.. theres a few spots where I see what looks to be black lint/strand from clothing under the clear (cant feel them)
Old 08-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #42
Pacific Auto
Master Installer

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Here's what I would do:

-Get multiply quotes from the most expensive local shops
-Give quotes to dealership
-Agree on a price
-They write you a check not the body shop
-You decide to keep the cash and fix it yourself or have the shop fix it.
Pacific Auto is offline   Reply With Quote