follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-22-2017, 02:29 AM   #1
Lakitu

Drives: 2017 Halo 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Exhaust Setup Suggestions

Sorry, I'm new to these things but bear with me. So, my main goal for sound is a nice low growl tone that's loud but not obnoxious and raspy, not much drone on highway in cabin, but also not too muffled.

I have already ordered a resonated exhaust that I think sounds marvelous by itself on stock everything else after watching a lot of youtube clips to get an idea of how each exhaust sounds at stock other parts. Videos get a little difficult to find when you throw header and front pipe in the mix to see how they change the sound. And then there's cold air intake that can further enhance the sound, but I won't get into that yet...

Moving forward now for the rest of the setup, what should I run for the front pipe, over pipe and headers to supplement the sound I want? Catted? Catless? Hi-flow? Resonated? Unresonated? I mean, if you go full catless & unresonated header & front pipe, what kind of sound can you expect to get out of it? I'd also like a little performance out of it too, if possible.

Also, one weird thing I've noticed is people mix-match pieces of the exhaust from different manufacturers. Like some people have a Perin front pipe, Invidia headers, and Borla exhaust.. Why is that? Why not just buy all Perin, or all Borla, etc?

Thanks, fam!
Lakitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:33 AM   #2
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
UEL Headers and non resonated downpipe
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VoltsFRS2013 For This Useful Post:
N8RH8R (09-23-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakitu View Post
Sorry, I'm new to these things but bear with me. So, my main goal for sound is a nice low growl tone that's loud but not obnoxious and raspy, not much drone on highway in cabin, but also not too muffled.

I have already ordered a resonated exhaust that I think sounds marvelous by itself on stock everything else after watching a lot of youtube clips to get an idea of how each exhaust sounds at stock other parts. Videos get a little difficult to find when you throw header and front pipe in the mix to see how they change the sound. And then there's cold air intake that can further enhance the sound, but I won't get into that yet...

Moving forward now for the rest of the setup, what should I run for the front pipe, over pipe and headers to supplement the sound I want? Catted? Catless? Hi-flow? Resonated? Unresonated? I mean, if you go full catless & unresonated header & front pipe, what kind of sound can you expect to get out of it? I'd also like a little performance out of it too, if possible.

Also, one weird thing I've noticed is people mix-match pieces of the exhaust from different manufacturers. Like some people have a Perin front pipe, Invidia headers, and Borla exhaust.. Why is that? Why not just buy all Perin, or all Borla, etc?

Thanks, fam!

Videos distort sound and you will get 1million different answers here. The best bet is go to meets and hear set-ups in person. Every piece will change the sound in some way, and some make bigger changes then others.

Or buy used so you can resell for little to no loss til you find what works. If you count all the pieces I have ran I'm at 10+ different set-ups;catbacks only I have tried 5

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Detroiter (09-22-2017), e_lunatic (09-22-2017), Spuds (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Join your local FT86 club and check out their meets. You can then hear exhaust systems in person.

Invidia N1 catback with UEL uncatted headers are hella loud.
Any Tomei & N1 catback is hella loud in itself.
If you want a nice tone then get either Perrin 2.5 resonated or Q300 catback. That way when you add a UEL uncatted or catted header the sound won't be so hella loud. If you want LOUD then get a different catback. Perrin is loud when it needs to be. Q300 is a lil too soft sounding.
Just my 2 cents!

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86geek For This Useful Post:
N8RH8R (09-23-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
So, my main goal for sound is a nice low growl tone that's loud but not obnoxious and raspy, not much drone on highway in cabin, but also not too muffled.
Stick with stock front pipe. You can use whatever header/overpipe you want but the exhaust you chose will dictate how the headers will sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
UEL Headers and non resonated downpipe
Yeah, if you want OP's ears to bleed.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
VoltsFRS2013 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 05:38 PM   #6
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Stick with stock front pipe. You can use whatever header/overpipe you want but the exhaust you chose will dictate how the headers will sound.

Yeah, if you want OP's ears to bleed.
a little drone never hurt nobody
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VoltsFRS2013 For This Useful Post:
Detroiter (09-25-2017), finch1750 (09-22-2017), N8RH8R (09-23-2017), Spuds (09-22-2017), Trust86 (09-23-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
justaturtle

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have a catless UEL header, stock front and overpipe and then the magnaflow catback, which is supposed to be similar in sound to the Q300 and the resonated 2.5 perrin.

The sound is real deep in the low RPM's, can definitely hear the rumble. On the highway cruising at just over 3k there is very little to no drone. No rasp from my setup at all either.

On decel I also get that little bit of "gurgle" and a pop here and there which I kinda like.

I believe if I were to add a front or overpipe it would be too loud for my liking, and that of my neighbors! What I have is exactly what I was looking for.

Be sure once you get the header to get the OFT tune or similar to get your car back in check as well.
justaturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:26 PM   #8
revaholic

Drives: 2016 Ablaze Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7hQH7TBSdw"]Nameless Axleback Sound Experience - 2016 Scion FR-S (Toyota 86) - YouTube[/ame]

I just posted a video of my Nameless Axleback. It may not be as aggressive as you would like it, but in terms of tone I think it's great.
revaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to revaholic For This Useful Post:
lantsalot (09-23-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 05:11 AM   #9
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
-a resonator will change the tone and make it deeper and a good one will filter out the raspier sounds.

-deleting the first cat will make the exhaust a little louder, deleting the second cat will make it a lot louder. Deleting cats is illegal, so if your state has inspection and/or emissions testing, it's going to be a problem.

-a straight pipe with no cat and no resonators will be raspy AF

-Mixing and matching components let you dial int he sound you want. Don't feel like you have to stick with one brand

-The biggest question is are you going for sound, show or go? If you only care about performance then that's whole different ball of wax. If you only care about sound, go to some meet ups of 86 owners and listen to what they got.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:38 PM   #10
lantsalot
Derp

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by revaholic View Post
I just posted a video of my Nameless Axleback. It may not be as aggressive as you would like it, but in terms of tone I think it's great.
+1 for the Nameless exhaust. I have the resonated front/dp with the axle back from them and it's sounded great and lasted for many years. They make a quality product that sounds so good. Just threw catted UEL headers on the setup last week and it is the perfect sound.
lantsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:08 PM   #11
revaholic

Drives: 2016 Ablaze Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by lantsalot View Post
+1 for the Nameless exhaust. I have the resonated front/dp with the axle back from them and it's sounded great and lasted for many years. They make a quality product that sounds so good. Just threw catted UEL headers on the setup last week and it is the perfect sound.
For sure, it definitely seems like a quality product. Hey I actually bought their resonated downpipe too but I haven't installed it yet. Did you have it on just axleback for a while, and if so did you notice it getting much louder when you had the downpipe in? Also did you notice any improvements to the torque dip?
revaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:58 PM   #12
N8RH8R

Drives: 2013 BRZ LIMITED
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
Join your local FT86 club and check out their meets. You can then hear exhaust systems in person.

Invidia N1 catback with UEL uncatted headers are hella loud.
Any Tomei & N1 catback is hella loud in itself.
If you want a nice tone then get either Perrin 2.5 resonated or Q300 catback. That way when you add a UEL uncatted or catted header the sound won't be so hella loud. If you want LOUD then get a different catback. Perrin is loud when it needs to be. Q300 is a lil too soft sounding.
Just my 2 cents!

I agree (+1) as the owner of the N1 w UEL catted header its “hella loud” and I love it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
N8RH8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #13
Lakitu

Drives: 2017 Halo 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for all the info guys. I have purchased and installed an FT86 SpeedFactory V1 resonated exhaust. Stock all else and it sounds AMAZING!! Nice and deep like a lady working the street.

So based on what I've read here, I'll be leaving the frontpipe alone and changing the headers after I get an OFT. I'm going for catless UEL for some cabin rumble and power (hopefully). Don't want it -too- loud as I'm going for moderate profile. I'm in FL so cat delete is legal.
Lakitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #14
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm in FL so cat delete is legal.
Federal emissions standards don't care what state you're in, it's still illegal.

The difference is you're in a state that doesn't care so you won't get caught.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote