follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2017, 05:04 AM   #1
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Aftermarket Wheels: TPMS Clamping or Novel Mounting Approaches?

Hey all,

I just started looking into aftermarket wheels and installation nuances for my Scion FRS. I ran into the age-old problem of whether or not to run TPMS sensors.

I've decided I want to try to run them. I'm going to transfer the TPMS from my stock wheels to my aftermarket wheels, but I'd like to use a different valve stem.

I'm not interested in hearing the same old arguments about ignoring the TPMS light or getting a tune to shut it off.

What I am interested in is learning from your experiences about any novel approaches to installing the TPMS sensor. It boils down to a few questions:

1. Can the valve-stem portion be removed from the OEM TPMS sensor?
-(It's rather hard to find detailed images of the TPMS sensors to determine this, and I haven't pulled them to take a closer look)

2. Whether or not the stem can be removed, has anyone attempted to clamp them without running the valve through the valve hole?
-How easy was it to accomplish? Were there any unexpected challenges?

3. What other ways have you seen or tried to attach the TPMS without occupying the valve hole?

4. Are there any forum threads of interest you might redirect me to?

Thanks!
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #2
yelsew
Little Member

Drives: Bloo - The 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Personally, I bought a set of used Toyota TPMS for $50 on eBay that were rebuilt with new seals and a black nut that replaced the silver one you see on the wheel. I have an ATEQ TPMS switcher to use two sets of sensors.

If you would like to use the original TPMS, you could buy a different color and style rebuild kit to change the look of your valve stem.
People just need some #drivermod in their life.
yelsew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You can use these style valve stems that have a ring for securing the TPS inside.

VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:22 PM   #4
MrDinkleman

Drives: 2016 Oceanic, "base" model
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP BRZ View Post
You can use these style valve stems that have a ring for securing the TPS inside.

Who makes and sells these?
MrDinkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:27 PM   #5
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Lots of company's make them, although word of warning i had leaking issues with a cheep set of these i ordered and eventually switched to regular stems and removed my TPS's

just google
"tpms adaptor valve stem"
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #6
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Maybe just put them inside the spare and just inflate the spare to 35psi?

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:04 AM   #7
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
You can't remove the core from the OE TPMS, but you can probably get a different sleeve via a rebuild kit, or even get a good rebuild kit and refinish the sleeve? What valve stem do you want to use instead...? Is it really so different?
Old 06-15-2017, 02:23 AM   #8
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Meh, just vinyl wrap the tiny bit of stem that shows and get an aftermarket valve stem cap if you really care bout how it looks.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:24 AM   #9
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP BRZ View Post

That looks like an interesting idea. A little different than I thought since I already have stems on the way that I want to try to use, but I'll keep it in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Maybe just put them inside the spare and just inflate the spare to 35psi?
I'm not quite sure the TPMS works that way; I don't believe they are direct pressure measuring. Do you have a source to verify that method?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenercarguy View Post
You can't remove the core from the OE TPMS, but you can probably get a different sleeve via a rebuild kit, or even get a good rebuild kit and refinish the sleeve? What valve stem do you want to use instead...? Is it really so different?
It's a Ray's aftermarket valve-stem. I'm not so interested in completely replacing the TPMS valve stem. Instead, I want to see if it can be removed so a clamping method (using a hose clamp around the hoop of the wheel to retain the TPMS for example) is a little more clean/straightforward:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Meh, just vinyl wrap the tiny bit of stem that shows and get an aftermarket valve stem cap if you really care bout how it looks.
That's an option; maybe the sheath is replaceable. I haven't received the new valve stems yet, so I haven't made a final decision on how I want to move forward with the look.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #10
Gforce
Banned

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Most if not all current TPMS measure and transmit actual pressure and temperature. If the car maker chooses, and some do, these data can be displayed in real time. Porsche springs to mind. There are some aftermarket devices that can read and display these data also. Most car makers have chosen not to decode and display these data as possibly confusing to the average driver. Every TPMS ECU has to decode these data to work correctly because tire pressure rises as the car is driven due to temperature rise. The TPMS ECU continuously monitors and corrects its display for any tire pressure changes due to operating temperature.

One topic not covered in this thread but of vital importance is safety. Those TPMS valve stems are engineered for a critical safety function. Do not mess with making up your own set.

Many seem not to realize how dangerous sudden loss of air from a tire can be. It can kill you.

TPMS valve stems are installed at very low torque numbers (inch pounds) or the seals do not seal and they leak air. Many customers have been mislead into thinking their TPMS valve stems leak because they are cheap. Not so. 99% of the time they leak because the installer is not knowledgable. Do not reuse the seal. Every time you r&r a TPMS valve stem you must fit a fresh brand new seal. Consider just replacing the whole unit if four or five years old when you have to R&r one as the batteries have a limited service life and cannot be replaced.

Regular valve stems are sealed by the equivalent of an o ring effect (held in place and sealed by the slotted rubber base) or by a clamping nut as in very high performance applications.

TPMS valve stems are retained and sealed by relatively low pressure clamping nuts and a soft seal easily distorted by over torquing.

The valve stem body is aluminum alloy and must not be fitted with any metal valve stem cap due to corrosion issues.

Do not mess around with these. Run them as shipped or fit regular valve stems.
Gforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #11
stevesnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
I'm not quite sure the TPMS works that way; I don't believe they are direct pressure measuring. Do you have a source to verify that method?
Nope just popped into my head.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
Old 06-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #12
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
He is correct, you can make a TPMS "bomb" by putting them in any pressure vessel... however they clearly won't do you any good that way haha.
stevesnj (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #13
stevesnj

Here you go, ha, pretty easy. A TPMS vessel and easy to build. Then you can put on any stems you want. If you plan to track the car get an 86 Nanny to disable the TPMS and you wouldn't need the vessel at all.

My 2016 Build thread

Old 06-19-2017, 04:23 AM   #14
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce View Post
Most if not all current TPMS measure and transmit actual pressure and temperature. If the car maker chooses, and some do, these data can be displayed in real time. Porsche springs to mind. There are some aftermarket devices that can read and display these data also. Most car makers have chosen not to decode and display these data as possibly confusing to the average driver. Every TPMS ECU has to decode these data to work correctly because tire pressure rises as the car is driven due to temperature rise. The TPMS ECU continuously monitors and corrects its display for any tire pressure changes due to operating temperature.

One topic not covered in this thread but of vital importance is safety. Those TPMS valve stems are engineered for a critical safety function. Do not mess with making up your own set.

Many seem not to realize how dangerous sudden loss of air from a tire can be. It can kill you.

TPMS valve stems are installed at very low torque numbers (inch pounds) or the seals do not seal and they leak air. Many customers have been mislead into thinking their TPMS valve stems leak because they are cheap. Not so. 99% of the time they leak because the installer is not knowledgable. Do not reuse the seal. Every time you r&r a TPMS valve stem you must fit a fresh brand new seal. Consider just replacing the whole unit if four or five years old when you have to R&r one as the batteries have a limited service life and cannot be replaced.

Regular valve stems are sealed by the equivalent of an o ring effect (held in place and sealed by the slotted rubber base) or by a clamping nut as in very high performance applications.

TPMS valve stems are retained and sealed by relatively low pressure clamping nuts and a soft seal easily distorted by over torquing.

The valve stem body is aluminum alloy and must not be fitted with any metal valve stem cap due to corrosion issues.

Do not mess around with these. Run them as shipped or fit regular valve stems.
Thanks Gforce.

I didn't intend to modify them with a new stem. My main goal is to see if I can get the stem removed and to see if the TPMS functions without the stem, minus keeping air in the tire.

That way, the TPMS can potentially be secured in an alternative manner inside of the wheel (for example via a hose clamp or other retaining feature that encompasses the circumference of the wheel) since I want to free up my valve stem port for a different valve stem. In my ideal application, the TPMS won't be holding the air.

What are your thoughts on that?

Tags
tpms