follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #15
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Light crank pulley is a useless and aesthetic mod pushed by lazy companies. Use OEM or use a proper piece like a Fluidampr pulley.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to empower-auto For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (10-28-2017), Somerandom18 (10-17-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 05:00 AM   #16
Yoniyama

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Technically, lighter pulleys, drive shaft, flywheel, and wheels all contribute to lower inertia and hence faster acceleration. In terms of effect on the angular inertia, per lb in weight reduction, the order of significance (from large to small) is:

(1) flywheel; (2) wheel; (3) pulley; and (4) driveshaft.

Also, light weight lug nut will also help (ever so slightly).

The incremental improvement of adding each of these light weight parts may not be so apparent. But the opposite is true: ie the result of replacing these light weight parts with their oem, heavier parts, is VERY apparent. It feels like adding a 100lb sack of potato to the trunk.

Please remember none of these light weight part adds power, per se. They only reduce inertia of the drive train, and hence better acceleration (and deceleration). The effect is applicable at all times at any rpm.
Yoniyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoniyama View Post
Technically, lighter pulleys, drive shaft, flywheel, and wheels all contribute to lower inertia and hence faster acceleration. In terms of effect on the angular inertia, per lb in weight reduction, the order of significance (from large to small) is:

(1) flywheel; (2) wheel; (3) pulley; and (4) driveshaft.

Also, light weight lug nut will also help (ever so slightly).

The incremental improvement of adding each of these light weight parts may not be so apparent. But the opposite is true: ie the result of replacing these light weight parts with their oem, heavier parts, is VERY apparent. It feels like adding a 100lb sack of potato to the trunk.

Please remember none of these light weight part adds power, per se. They only reduce inertia of the drive train, and hence better acceleration (and deceleration). The effect is applicable at all times at any rpm.
The effect may be vey tiny at all RPMs when the car is out of gear. As soon as the car is in gear and powering the driveline then any difference is so slight that is would not even be measurable muchless noticeable. It does not make any difference if you saved 2 ounces on a pulley once the tranny becomes engaged. The engine speed is now restricted by the gearing not the weight of some outlying minor components. The theory and the reality are two radically different things in this case.
mrg666 (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #18
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by empower-auto View Post
Light crank pulley is a useless and aesthetic mod pushed by lazy companies. Use OEM or use a proper piece like a Fluidampr pulley.
I generally avoid buying anything from those manufacturer brands which have such useless, and often overpriced, parts among their products.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #19
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Which company is exactly lazy and overpriced? A company like the following one?

Yes, they have also lightweight pulleys and driveshafts. Because they are simpler mods and not anyone wants or willing to open the engine. Our ignorance, doesn't mean that they are useless.

@OP: I like your mods. Unfortunately, the faster drop of RPMs requires faster gear changes which is not always optimal on a street car. Personally, I would choose as next mod the thicker rear axles.

https://www.sti.jp/parts/subarubrz_z.../ST28421AS100/
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #20
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Which company is exactly lazy and overpriced? A company like the following one?

Yes, they have also lightweight pulleys and driveshafts. Because they are simpler mods and not anyone wants or willing to open the engine. Our ignorance, doesn't mean that they are useless.

@OP: I like your mods. Unfortunately, the faster drop of RPMs requires faster gear changes which is not always optimal on a street car. Personally, I would choose as next mod the thicker rear axles.

https://www.sti.jp/parts/subarubrz_z.../ST28421AS100/
Enlighten the ignorant, then. I am ready to listen. You can start with presenting the data for fly wheel upgrade and drive shaft, for example. How much improvement in power and acceleration? Give the numbers.

Why would I start a discussion by giving names of manufacturers that I don't care about. I can give recommendations, though. How about my highest recommendation for Jackson Racing that increased my power to 300hp. Your turn. But no unsupported crap please.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #21
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,434 Times in 6,149 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Enlighten the ignorant, then. I am ready to listen. You can start with presenting the data for fly wheel upgrade and drive shaft, for example. How much improvement in power and acceleration? Give the numbers.
See post 11. I didn't calculate pulleys because I was lazy, and I wasn't expecting more than 1hp return based on the other stuff. Was thinking of fixing up my drive line inertia calculator to make it easier to use and posting it. I just did a rough calculation once because I was curious.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:31 AM   #22
nikitopo

Cars are complex systems with many parameters and a physical model is an over-simplification. We cannot know the engine's potential, until we measure the effect of a specific kit.

Here are the gains of a pulley kit with a small under-drive on the alternator. The measurement was made on 4th gear by Toda:

The gains are between 3-10 hp in the entire RPM range. You asked about numbers and you got it.

I won't start a discussion of supercharger kits here. It is irrelevant to OPs topic.
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Impureclient (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 01:49 AM   #23
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
^ Graphs that say power increases with lightweight pulleys and Fluidampr ones that say it decreases. This is getting fun.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
ohmai18 (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 01:58 AM   #24
nikitopo

Fluidampr is a heavier pulley comparing to stock and has an entirely different function. I've seen respected Japanese tuners to use it on supercharged or turbo 86/BRZ cars for increased engine reliability. It is a good option if you are going with FI. On a NA car they are saying that it is not really needed.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:06 AM   #25
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Cars are complex systems with many parameters and a physical model is an over-simplification. We cannot know the engine's potential, until we measure the effect of a specific kit.

Here are the gains of a pulley kit with a small under-drive on the alternator. The measurement was made on 4th gear by Toda:

The gains are between 3-10 hp in the entire RPM range. You asked about numbers and you got it.

I won't start a discussion of supercharger kits here. It is irrelevant to OPs topic.
Anything in real world data that can be related to actually driving the car, and not just the engine on an engine dyno, where there's absolutely zero drivetrain loss? Or are you just going to prove that you're just a huge sucker for marketing material once again?
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:25 AM   #26
nikitopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Or are you just going to prove that you're just a huge sucker for marketing material once again?
You can see my car's modification journal and the majority of the changes are from Subaru / STI. Even the Toda's bigger throttle body is a slightly bored factory part. Reason going with them is because STI never touched the engine. Not to install a turbo, but to make some refinements the way they did on handling. So, it is funny to be accused that I am huge sucker of Toda's marketing material, when I am using basically factory parts.

If you or other people can't get over of what they bought and searching about huge improvements it is not my problem. It is your problem.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:40 AM   #27
ohmai18

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I asked Perrin if installing an ACT SB7 with Streetlite clutch, with a lightweight driveshaft, and with Perrin's three lightweight pulleys would damage the engine. Here's their response.

Thoughts?

Last edited by ohmai18; 10-29-2017 at 04:03 AM.
ohmai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:01 AM   #28
nikitopo

Yes in some older Subaru engines, if you were combing a lightweight driveshaft with a lightweight pulley you could get a CEL miss-fire code. It was known to happen if you were going lower than a specific weight. It wasn't known if there was an actual miss-fire or just the ECU was throwing a code. I've not heard something similar in our engines.

A final remark concerning different lightweight pulley kits. There are some cheap ones and some quite expensive. The difference is not related with the marketing department of each company, but the used material. You replace a steel pulley with an aluminum one and it is important to not have a failure. It is known that 7075 aluminum material is much better than the cheap aluminum, with a strength comparable to many steels. However, it is more expensive. So, you get what you pay ...

Last edited by nikitopo; 10-29-2017 at 04:11 AM.