follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #85
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
If it has real acoustics research tied to it, it could justify the price. It just depends on how it sounds.
'worth it' is subjective i suppose. at least for me there is absolutely nothing that could ever possibly make an exhaust worth more than a turbo kit. i'm a function over form type of guy. surely there is a market for this, but it ain't guys like me.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #86
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
'worth it' is subjective i suppose. at least for me there is absolutely nothing that could ever possibly make an exhaust worth more than a turbo kit. i'm a function over form type of guy. surely there is a market for this, but it ain't guys like me.
Quite frankly, me either. But the decision behind buying a turbo kit goes beyond price. Some people don't want to give up the N/A reliability, and if he's after a specific sound that a turbo setup can't provide, to him it might be the better value if money is no object. He has a full TRD car which is insane amounts of money honestly. The BBK alone is over $7k. If I could make the 86 sound like an LFA and had his kind of budget, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's one of the best sounding cars in the world.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #87
killerkid08
Cool Stuff

Drives: Cool Car
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
can't justify this exhaust. you could get quality pieces from other reputable brands with the same sound quality. My AVO 2.5 catback, nameless overpipe frontpipe combo, and (when reinstalled) AVO UEL/ TURBo, sounds a lot better than this.

This was my "loud," "look at me," "i'm turbo'd setup" set-up before the AVO catback was intalled, and it gathered people.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIjxSVVopto"]Frs at import alliance 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

(resonated straight pipe, namless op/fp, and avo)
killerkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #88
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Quote:
Quite frankly, me either. But the decision behind buying a turbo kit goes beyond price. Some people don't want to give up the N/A reliability, and if he's after a specific sound that a turbo setup can't provide, to him it might be the better value if money is no object. He has a full TRD car which is insane amounts of money honestly. The BBK alone is over $7k. If I could make the 86 sound like an LFA and had his kind of budget, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's one of the best sounding cars in the world.
but it would be slow. what good is noise if you're getting passed by minivans? but i get your point... some folks would rather look the part so to speak.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #89
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
but it would be slow. what good is noise if you're getting passed by minivans? but i get your point... some folks would rather look the part so to speak.
The LFA sure sounds good while being passed by a GTR. LOL
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raul For This Useful Post:
jamesm (10-14-2013)
Old 10-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #90
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quote:
The LFA sure sounds good while being passed by a GTR. LOL
That's very different from a sleek 2 door coupe getting passed by a V6 Camry.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Superhatch (10-29-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 02:32 AM   #91
zephyr69

Drives: TRD FT-86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqlyBZMhYKs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqlyBZMhYKs[/ame]
zephyr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:42 AM   #92
zephyr69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Insano View Post
Sounds loud for a DD, but very good tone. Was expecting loud after listening to the vids of the other cars. I really like it. If I didn't have a wife that drove my car and hated loud exhausts I would want something that sounds just like that.
It has an electronic actuated valve to adjust the loudness. I chose Sport and F1. Sport being slightly louder than stock and F1 being the loudest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzpermadi View Post
saw the videos in youtube, are there any other benefits from this exhaust other than nice sound?
Maybe hp gain or weight loss?
Kreissieg told me that their exhaust will definitely result in HP gain, but theres only so much an catback can add in terms of HP. however, they do not give dyno stats because each exhaust is hand built from scratch so the gains will vary.

Quote:
Thanks for your comment. I understand your logic. However, for me this car is a long term project. Just because I purchased this exhaust, doesn't mean I won't upgrade the performance of this car. I am just waiting on reliable/proven NA tunes..seems like its gonna be awhile still haha.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:34 AM   #93
Gardus@Supersprint
Banned

Drives: Clio TCE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
That's a lot of money... I calculated a possible list price for a valved muffler, direct pipe when the valve is open, as quiet as our homologated system when close.
Excluding the valve (the likes of QTP including the switch cost around $ 200/250) it would cost around € 1300--> $ 1.800
That's without the tailpipes, € 330, but you can use the stock ones...
Gardus@Supersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #94
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr69 View Post
Kreissieg told me that their exhaust will definitely result in HP gain, but theres only so much an catback can add in terms of HP. however, they do not give dyno stats because each exhaust is hand built from scratch so the gains will vary.
Almost all of the higher quality exhausts I know of are all "hand built" using a jig. This ensures that while the exhaust welds are all done by hand, there is some repeat-ability in the design so one exhaust is not SO different from another. I can't imagine that Kreissieg is any different. At the very least they would be building as per a drawing which would ensure -some- semblance of a repeatable product.

My assumption can only be that they either A. Don't care about power, B. Know it's low/average and don't want that to scare off customers. Their main selling point is sound, so it's possible it's both. The design is not so different from one exhaust to another to greatly affect the outcome of any dyno testing.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #95
Gardus@Supersprint
Banned

Drives: Clio TCE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhatch View Post
Almost all of the higher quality exhausts I know of are all "hand built" using a jig. This ensures that while the exhaust welds are all done by hand, there is some repeat-ability in the design so one exhaust is not SO different from another. I can't imagine that Kreissieg is any different. At the very least they would be building as per a drawing which would ensure -some- semblance of a repeatable product.

My assumption can only be that they either A. Don't care about power, B. Know it's low/average and don't want that to scare off customers. Their main selling point is sound, so it's possible it's both. The design is not so different from one exhaust to another to greatly affect the outcome of any dyno testing.
I totally agree.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, they don't have a dyno at the factory.
Any claim of power gain with a catback on the GT86 is science fiction.
Not even a straight pipe will give more than 3-4 hp.
Gardus@Supersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #96
zephyr69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhatch View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardus@Supersprint View Post
I totally agree.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, they don't have a dyno at the factory.
Any claim of power gain with a catback on the GT86 is science fiction.
Not even a straight pipe will give more than 3-4 hp.
Superhatch and Gardus you are correct. I probably phrased it incorrectly. Instead of HP gain, it should probably be better "flow". And yes, the main purpose these types of exhaust is the unique sound it provides and not performance.

In regards to whether they have a dyno, I'm pretty sure they have one. If i remember correctly, my friend visited their factory when he was in yokohama and ordered an exhaust for his gallardo, and they gave him a brief tour where he saw a dyno. Not 100% sure a year or two ago since we had this conversation.

Anyways, KSG have always priced their products extremely high. I knew this from the beginning. Whether its really "worth" it really depends on the person. For me, I do enjoy having something quite unique for my car that can help differentiate my 86 from the others. Although the car will never sound like a supercar, I am perfectly fine with that. And I certainly expected it. It sounds quite good in my opinion, its feels way more "raw" than my JDM TRD exhaust. And being able to open/close the valve certainly makes it more usable for daily driving.

Thanks for your comments guys. If you guys have any questions regarding this exhaust. let me know and ill try to get back to you as soon as possible.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #97
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Well, it's very unique and you'll probably be the only person with it for a while IMO.

If you are happy with it, that's really what matters! I don't have $4k to spend on an exhaust so I can't really say much.

I do know that KSG makes incredible products and you get what you pay for.

I'm looking forward to more opinions from Vendors who sell exhaust parts here

+1 to you for following through with it

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
zephyr69 (10-30-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #98
projectXTR

Drives: Sterling Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardus@Supersprint View Post
That's a lot of money... I calculated a possible list price for a valved muffler, direct pipe when the valve is open, as quiet as our homologated system when close.
Excluding the valve (the likes of QTP including the switch cost around $ 200/250) it would cost around € 1300--> $ 1.800
That's without the tailpipes, € 330, but you can use the stock ones...
You still got my attention
projectXTR is offline   Reply With Quote