follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #85
Mike_ZN6

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I was in a similar position as you. When I was in my last year of college I was making decent money as an intern. My car at the time got wrecked and I had to get something new. I had always dreamed of getting an FR-S ever since they came out, but I wasn't sure if I could really afford it. I ended up buying a 2007 Civic coupe 5-speed because I could pay for it in cash.

I never really loved the Civic and I ended up spending money to maintain it for a few years. Looking back now, I wish I had gotten the FR-S instead. I would have gotten to drive it for 4 more years. That is 4 years of happiness I did not get from the Civic. You will make more money when you are no longer an intern and you will easily be able to afford it then.

One thing though, make sure you get some quotes on insurance first. At your age, that may be the part that prices you out of the car.

Last edited by Mike_ZN6; 05-07-2020 at 10:42 PM.
Mike_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike_ZN6 For This Useful Post:
why? (04-30-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #86
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyfrs View Post
Too bad the corona virus came around or else this would be happening next week
All my sympathies go to people suffering in this pandemic. You can take this opportunity to reconsider your priorities. At age 18, I would invest my time and money on getting the best education, building a successful career and sustained income before a sports car. You are spending your capital.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:02 PM   #87
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyfrs View Post
Too bad the corona virus came around or else this would be happening next week
speaking as someone that lost their first job in the last 'downturn' as they called it (i was 1 year into finally landing a job that i always wanted to do, but the reality was that the area i was in wasn't very interested in paying people for that type of work, so it was one of the first things to dry up, despite my bosses best efforts), this is a spectacular time to re-evaluate what you really want to do. it is also a great time that very quickly shows how any company values or works to retain their employee's, and how their specific type of work will fare in less than stellar times.
humfrz (05-01-2020), why? (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 06:22 AM   #88
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
All my sympathies go to people suffering in this pandemic. You can take this opportunity to reconsider your priorities. At age 18, I would invest my time and money on getting the best education, building a successful career and sustained income before a sports car. You are spending your capital.

unless it is stem, education is a debt most won't ever get out of. Plumbers now make more than most "college graduates," because these fools take degrees where even restaurants are afraid to hire them as waitstaff. Imagine going to school for 8 years, getting a law degree, passing the bar, and still not being able to get a job for over minimum wage.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (04-30-2020), soundman98 (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 09:19 PM   #89
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
unless it is stem, education is a debt most won't ever get out of. Plumbers now make more than most "college graduates," because these fools take degrees where even restaurants are afraid to hire them as waitstaff. Imagine going to school for 8 years, getting a law degree, passing the bar, and still not being able to get a job for over minimum wage.
yep, too many people will proudly proclaim "college is the answer!" without ever trying to figure out what the question was.

more often than not, the question is "how can i reduce my over abundance of income?"

Last edited by soundman98; 04-30-2020 at 09:41 PM.
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:39 PM   #90
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
I know what you mean. Many students waste their time and money at college. And there are many colleges that take money without really giving much. Part of the higher education system is completely corrupted.

But there are exceptional colleges too. I know some of them. Those are essential for our country.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-01-2020), soundman98 (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 07:14 AM   #91
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
I know what you mean. Many students waste their time and money at college. And there are many colleges that take money without really giving much. Part of the higher education system is completely corrupted.

But there are exceptional colleges too. I know some of them. Those are essential for our country.

There are exceptional degrees, not exceptional colleges. No one is going to give two looks at someone that graduated from Harvard with a basket weaving degree. Hell, no one is going to give two looks at someone who graduated from Suffolk University, that has campuses world wide and is one of the better law schools on the planet, with a communications degree.

Now someone that graduated from the University of Florida with a Computer Science, Physics, or Geology degree will be on everyone's radar. Because those degree programs are famous in those fields and companies will go out of their way to hire those people, sometimes even before they finish their degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
yep, too many people will proudly proclaim "college is the answer!" without ever trying to figure out what the question was.
more often than not, the question is "how can i reduce my over abundance of income?"

Exactly. It's about,"the college experience," but is that really worth $150,000 + of debt? I knew a dentist that was fabulous and recommended by people in 4 or 5 states, and it took him until 40 something to pay off all his schooling debt. That's nuts.

The problem is the paradigm totally shifted in the 90's and so far very few people have realized.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #92
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
The problem is the paradigm totally shifted in the 90's and so far very few people have realized.
Part of the problem is the schools, no denying that, but it's also the students.

It is VERY possible to get an undergrad school from some of the best in-state schools in the country, and cash flow it as a student. You just have to be willing to work your ass off, and not use student loans to fund lifestyle. It may take you longer than four years, and it may not be a lot of fun, but it can be done.

Of course, a little help from parents that did a little future planning, or a state that has some type of "Hope Scholarship" funding helps.

You are right though, college isn't for everyone. Of my 3 sons, two graduated college, one didn't. The one that didn't found his own way and is doing well.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-01-2020), soundman98 (05-01-2020), why? (05-05-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 08:30 AM   #93
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
There are exceptional degrees, not exceptional colleges.
Prestige is what comes into play for colleges like that.
Some employers ( though very few) will value the education quality and effort you put in at a prestigious college vs the paper you received as a result. My wife has a master's of Arts and Teaching, as well as a masters of fine arts. She attended RISD and typically that is the topic of conversation, rather than why she got those degrees specifically. Most anyone who is an art major or is hiring for an art position appreciates RISD. I do agree with you though, having the paper typically is paramount over any other detail.

On the flip side, I was on the complete opposite end of the spectrum; I dropped out of highschool early because I valued having a job more than wasting my time in a classroom. I was so interested in computers that on the side, it was all I did. I had a job as a trash route driver and built/fixed computers on the side. Years and years later, I have a GED with no college experience and work in a hospital doing IT support making more than my wife does as a teacher. The difference is that I had to work my ass off in different ways than she did. I had to struggle to show my work experience and my applied experience, vs the paper she had that does that for her.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-01-2020), humfrz (05-01-2020), soundman98 (05-01-2020), why? (05-05-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 08:38 AM   #94
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Years and years later, I have a GED with no college experience and work in a hospital doing IT support making more than my wife does as a teacher. The difference is that I had to work my ass off in different ways than she did. I had to struggle to show my work experience and my applied experience, vs the paper she had that does that for her.
Yea, particularly in a tech field, a degree is a shortcut but there are other ways to get in. Unfortunately the "other ways" are getting harder to do. I got into IT similar to you although i had a non-STEM undergrad degree. Got the tech bug, and worked my way into it through some internships and other entry level stuff. Eventually went back and got a Masters in IT when I realized that the lack of a degree would eventually hold me back long-term if I wanted to be on the management side of things.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (05-01-2020), soundman98 (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #95
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
There are exceptional degrees, not exceptional colleges. No one is going to give two looks at someone that graduated from Harvard with a basket weaving degree. Hell, no one is going to give two looks at someone who graduated from Suffolk University, that has campuses world wide and is one of the better law schools on the planet, with a communications degree.

Now someone that graduated from the University of Florida with a Computer Science, Physics, or Geology degree will be on everyone's radar. Because those degree programs are famous in those fields and companies will go out of their way to hire those people, sometimes even before they finish their degree.

Exactly. It's about,"the college experience," but is that really worth $150,000 + of debt? I knew a dentist that was fabulous and recommended by people in 4 or 5 states, and it took him until 40 something to pay off all his schooling debt. That's nuts.

It is all about the mindset of the student as a person. There are back-door graduates from ivy-league schools as well, I have met some of them. There are brilliant engineers from other colleges too, although there are very few I know. It is, of course, easier to find better engineers from better schools. I am speaking of engineers since that is my area. I am really not that knowledgeable in other areas.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #96
Mike_ZN6

Quote:
It is all about the mindset of the student as a person. There are back-door graduates from ivy-league schools as well, I have met some of them. There are brilliant engineers from other colleges too, although there are very few I know. It is, of course, easier to find better engineers from better schools. I am speaking of engineers since that is my area. I am really not that knowledgeable in other areas.
That's weird because I know a lot of brilliant engineers that did not go to an ivy league school. You can honestly get the same quality of education from many (probably most) state level engineering departments.
Spuds (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #97
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ZN6 View Post
That's weird because I know a lot of brilliant engineers that did not go to an ivy league school. You can honestly get the same quality of education from many (probably most) state level engineering departments.
That is also what I said, see below. But of course the better students want to go better schools and graduate as better engineers. Although we cannot generalize this trend and there are exceptions always.

Quote:
Old 05-01-2020, 01:35 PM   #98
Mike_ZN6

Quote:
That part is why I made the comment. Implying you know a bunch of brilliant engineers from Ivy leagues, but "very few" from non-Ivies.
Spuds (05-01-2020)