follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #29
mothespaceman

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You're definitely going to run into a bit of a challenge with the dealer after having it for three weeks... I DO believe though, if you are firm, but respectful... you may be able to have them help in some capacity.

If that does not work... I suggest going to a reputable body / paint shop, spending the money (biting the bullet) and moving on.

If you're anything like me, a rock chip can all but ruin my mental perception of my car.
mothespaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #30
skidmark86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Isn't it on the user/buyer to inspect the car for damage prior to acquisition?? It's surprising you would buy a car with a dent as "new" and expect no repercussions. Didn't you inspect prior to buying? I would have just requested that they send me a new car in the same color. This is the problem with individuals who are really excited for a certain car, they will ignore damage that is apparent and pass it off as minimal to be able to justify the buy.

Dude, it is on you if you bought a "new" car with a dent and expected perfection. If you couldn't wait for delivery, don't hate on your dealership. They are only doing their job.

On that negative note...I would try to get the repaint covered under warranty. Best of luck!!
skidmark86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skidmark86 For This Useful Post:
hur1ey02 (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 02:27 AM   #31
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
No offense, but you've had it for 3 weeks and you're just now noticing this stuff? My only question would be is this really the dealer's fault, or did it get bumped somewhere you parked it? They will probably argue that. Are you sure it was sold to you that way and that didn't happen while you owned it?

Exactly, looking at paint jobs too long is a form of OCD. Nobody but you and those you point it out too care.

Fixing spiderwebiing will require most probably depending on how deep filler of some sort and respray. The 2K urethanes used at body shops now are as good or better than the factory. It used to be the primer wasn't as good as the e-coat but I think this car is just alodyned, meaning they don't really have a primer, I know Hyandai made that bad move wish I knew if Subaru is using ecoat still?

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #32
giorgi0424

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothespaceman View Post
You're definitely going to run into a bit of a challenge with the dealer after having it for three weeks... I DO believe though, if you are firm, but respectful... you may be able to have them help in some capacity.

If that does not work... I suggest going to a reputable body / paint shop, spending the money (biting the bullet) and moving on.

If you're anything like me, a rock chip can all but ruin my mental perception of my car.
I'm basically like you, lol. Especially since spiderwebbing is more than just a rock chip :/
giorgi0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to giorgi0424 For This Useful Post:
mothespaceman (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 09:02 PM   #33
giorgi0424

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark86 View Post
Isn't it on the user/buyer to inspect the car for damage prior to acquisition?? It's surprising you would buy a car with a dent as "new" and expect no repercussions. Didn't you inspect prior to buying? I would have just requested that they send me a new car in the same color. This is the problem with individuals who are really excited for a certain car, they will ignore damage that is apparent and pass it off as minimal to be able to justify the buy.

Dude, it is on you if you bought a "new" car with a dent and expected perfection. If you couldn't wait for delivery, don't hate on your dealership. They are only doing their job.

On that negative note...I would try to get the repaint covered under warranty. Best of luck!!
I did check it over, but that dent, even I have trouble finding under certain lighting. And as I mentioned several times before, I mentioned the paint chip. Also, like I said, I'm pretty certain the spiderwebbing developed recently after we had 95 degree weather plus high humidity these past few days, but my whole point is the 2 things (paint chipping and spiderwebbing) are directly related to one another. get what i mean?

I asked for delivery of a WRB brz, but they weren't willing to get me the "deal" of a price on a delivery, only on the inventory they currently had. I'm not retarded, I work at a dealership and know how all of this works.

Thanks for your input! I'm hoping it works out too
Old 06-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #34
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'm baffled...

OP, please talk to the dealer first before you talk to 3rd parties.

It's always best to start a dialogue first, than to come in armed with all the facts that the internet has to provide to back your case.

You are "100% confident" this was not the cause from some damage while you have owned the car. So what now? Take all our advice and use it against the dealer?

Don't nitpick the process. You need to state your case without bias (don't blame the dealer to start, mention that you noticed a paint issue and don't blame anyone), then move on.

All this speculation on the internet isn't doing you any favors.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #35
Hotrodheart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Op, you're NOT going to get a new car. They will not replace it. So can that idea.

Chip: They knew about it. They will fix.

Spider-webbing: Factory defect; they will fix.

Dent: No way to prove it didn't happen the very second you drove out of the dealership. Or the next day, etc. They don't HAVE to fix it....

SO.. negotiate. Get the affected panels resprayed. Negotiate hte inclusion of the dent as customer good will. They do great things with paint these days. You won't tell. Maybe get them to throw in some accessories. or something. Extended warranty, I dunno.

The rest is emotion. "First brand new car, etc." Get over it. It's a tough riding rodeo, this life. This ain't gonna be the biggest disappointment of your life. It gets worse pal. Buck up.
Hotrodheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #36
giorgi0424

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodheart View Post
Op, you're NOT going to get a new car. They will not replace it. So can that idea.

Chip: They knew about it. They will fix.

Spider-webbing: Factory defect; they will fix.

Dent: No way to prove it didn't happen the very second you drove out of the dealership. Or the next day, etc. They don't HAVE to fix it....

SO.. negotiate. Get the affected panels resprayed. Negotiate hte inclusion of the dent as customer good will. They do great things with paint these days. You won't tell. Maybe get them to throw in some accessories. or something. Extended warranty, I dunno.

The rest is emotion. "First brand new car, etc." Get over it. It's a tough riding rodeo, this life. This ain't gonna be the biggest disappointment of your life. It gets worse pal. Buck up.
haha yeah I'm definitely getting over the idea of demanding a new car. that was a heat of the moment, pure frustration kicking in.

that dent, they had already agreed to fixing it like 2 weeks ago when I mentioned it to them. salesman said it was probably from loading/unloading and they'd get it with no charge. So, that's good!
Old 06-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #37
giorgi0424

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
I'm baffled...

It's always best to start a dialogue first, than to come in armed with all the facts that the internet has to provide to back your case.

You are "100% confident" this was not the cause from some damage while you have owned the car. So what now? Take all our advice and use it against the dealer?

Don't nitpick the process. You need to state your case without bias (don't blame the dealer to start, mention that you noticed a paint issue and don't blame anyone), then move on.

-alex
thanks for your input, I agree. salesman said he'd notify the GM on Monday when he gets back. I'll keep everyone updated with how this turns out.

for now, here's two pics of the of spiderwebbing, it's on the left side of the subaru logo, runs underneath the logo, and about 3 inches on top of the chipped paint at the bottom

Old 06-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #38
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
That looks like someone sat on the bumper.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:34 PM   #39
mav1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgi0424 View Post
thanks for your input, I agree. salesman said he'd notify the GM on Monday when he gets back. I'll keep everyone updated with how this turns out.

for now, here's two pics of the of spiderwebbing, it's on the left side of the subaru logo, runs underneath the logo, and about 3 inches on top of the chipped paint at the bottom

That looks like someone pushed the bumper. It could be concealed or it could be someone leaning on it. Also can happen if the bumper was moved/pushed before paint completely set.

Definitely build a case with your dealer. If you have "before" shots when you picked up the car, use that as a case to back up your story. This stuff happens, work with the people who sold you the car.

-alex
Old 06-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #40
giorgi0424

Garage
Quote:
That looks like someone pushed the bumper. It could be concealed or it could be someone leaning on it. Also can happen if the bumper was moved/pushed before paint completely set.

Definitely build a case with your dealer. If you have "before" shots when you picked up the car, use that as a case to back up your story. This stuff happens, work with the people who sold you the car.

-alex
exactly, so couldn't the car have hit something, causing the paint to chip and also inflicting stress onto the bumper to cause that? That's what I am going to argue. I work as a detailer so I'm super OCD about my car, and would've noticed that any other day if it had happened. the heat/sun caused the paint to crack there after it had already been stressed
Old 06-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #41
PBM317

Drives: Scion
Quote:
I'm baffled...

-alex
^^^ this. For someone that works at a dealership I would think you'd understand this. They technically have no legal obligation to help you out, but for strong customer service they likely will try to do something.
PBM317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #42
mav1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgi0424 View Post
exactly, so couldn't the car have hit something, causing the paint to chip and also inflicting stress onto the bumper to cause that? That's what I am going to argue. I work as a detailer so I'm super OCD about my car, and would've noticed that any other day if it had happened. the heat/sun caused the paint to crack there after it had already been stressed
That's kind of my point... no way for you to determine if this was caused by the manufacturer (manufacturing defect), dealer (dealer liable), or after you took delivery of the car (you).

If you work it out nicely with the dealer, they may help put a case forth for you to Subaru and claim. It's ALL about relationships when it comes to warranty work, those with the best relationships get the best warranty claims, period.

If a dealer had a customer that came in with flying accusations of wrongdoing and was rude or otherwise judgmental, they won't even bother to write a case to Subaru even if it was "warranty work/free labor".

I've dealt with many manufacturers across several industries (tech, automotive, aftermarket, clothing, etc) and the relationship part trumps everything else.

Don't assume. Go talk to the dealer with a clean slate. If you are nice and cordial and reasonable, they will want to help you to retain your business. Repeat customers end up paying more $$$ later on for peace of mind, a SMB knows this.

-alex

Tags
brz, damage, issues, paint