follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 06-02-2016, 10:18 PM   #3501
AMAY93

Drives: Subaru BRZ limited MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Hey guys I am looking to purchase the JR kit maybe the c38. does the HBP only work for the c30 blower? also is it okay to run this kit with a perrin crank pulley? I am making sure I order all of the correct parts as well. I am trying to stay with stock motor and sticking with 93 octane gas, no E85 because of availability. So JR 338 kit, HBP kit with injectors,fuel pump, map sensor, engine oil cooler, and a good tune should be everything I need if I already have full exhaust, and perrin crank pulley? just making sure If I need any other mandatory supporting mods.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #3502
axelthrasher

Drives: BRZ, 2 WRXs, 818S, motorcycles, etc
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
I was just wondering: I remember back, but cant find, a couple of threads where people were down on power with this system. It seems I am the most recent receiver of this problem. Does anybody remember any of the issues that caused the problems? My charge pipes and hoses are all in tact, so please don't provide that as a fix. Are there vacuum lines or anything that could cause this? CSG has gotten some and will receive more data logs from me, but in the mean time I was hoping to find something mechanical that might cause the problem. Thanks in advance
Inspect your vacuum lines, I doubt this is it - but it had to be said.

My guess - (this is the issue I had) MAF extension harness. Look at the plug that goes into the actual MAF - some of my red terminals/insulators were pulling out a bit, one of which actually pulled out enough to make a poor connection, make the car run poorly, and eventually threw a CEL. This is where I place my money to find the issue.
axelthrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to axelthrasher For This Useful Post:
twag4 (06-04-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 05:08 PM   #3503
Jmonty
Realtor/ Principal Broker

Drives: JRSC BRZ GBS LTD 2010 LTD Outback
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
These are the test results on my@VitViper Tuned JRSC C38 car. THere are 3 graphs on one plot, so pay attention! Torque is left, hp is right graph.

Dashed blue line: stock exhaust and his previous custom header.
Dotted blue line: stock exhaust and the Ace 4-2-1 header. As you can see, lots of low end gains (particularly below 2500 rpm and from 3200 to 4200 rpm).

Solid green: Perrin 3" exhaust with the Ace header. As expected, the exhaust did basically nothing (not unusual on an S/C car).

Jmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:32 AM   #3504
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm on a delicious flash n go. It isn't a tune problem.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #3505
twag4

I'm out of town for the day, but will check the MAF extension tonight. Thanks @axelthrasher!!!
Old 06-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #3506
enivid

Drives: WRB JR BRZED
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
I'm on a delicious flash n go. It isn't a tune problem.
I ask because different tunes use the Maf differently. The delicious tune is SD so I believe the only thing it uses from the maf sensor is temperatures. Even if the thing was dirty or sending back bogus data, I don't think it would matter.
enivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #3507
Jas1137

Drives: 2015 Firestorm FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmonty View Post
These are the test results on my@VitViper Tuned JRSC C38 car. THere are 3 graphs on one plot, so pay attention! Torque is left, hp is right graph.

Dashed blue line: stock exhaust and his previous custom header.
Dotted blue line: stock exhaust and the Ace 4-2-1 header. As you can see, lots of low end gains (particularly below 2500 rpm and from 3200 to 4200 rpm).

Solid green: Perrin 3" exhaust with the Ace header. As expected, the exhaust did basically nothing (not unusual on an S/C car).
Which Ace is this? 150, 250 or 350? Also what fuel? I'm planning on running a similar setup, but I fear for reliability at that power/torque.
Jas1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:37 PM   #3508
Jmonty
Realtor/ Principal Broker

Drives: JRSC BRZ GBS LTD 2010 LTD Outback
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
@Jas1137, it is the Ace 350 type A and ace front pipe, fuel was a flex fuel of arounds E72/74 or so, stock clutch no issues. A great set up, very Happy
Jmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmonty For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 10:18 PM   #3509
twag4

My FRS is down. Was on my way to a car meet this afternoon, and it started misfiring, backfiring through the intake, sputtering, and no power. Got it home, never got a check engine light at all. I have data logs emailed to all the smart guys, hoping they can help. I don't think any mechanical damage is done, but at this point of am at my wits end. This is frustrating. I am sure it is a problem with something electronic in the car, not a tune or supercharger system problem, but frustrating none the less. I had finished doing a series of checks. I cleaned the MAF, tested all vacuum lines with a vacuum pump, tested all vacuum connections with propane (not sure how effective), pulled the bumper and checked the whole charge pipe system and the interior and exterior of the inter cooler itself. I found no issues, so I believe it is a sensor problem or something. I have very high IATs, don't know why, that is why my hunch is sensor problem. Maybe a coil going bad? IDK!!!!! Just venting, so thanks for "listening"!
Old 06-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #3510
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
What are people seeing for water temps on track in 95F ambient temps?

I'm seeing 240F+. The only cooling upgrade is the JR oil cooler. Custom 92 octane tune from @Drift-Office (I run 94+octane mix for safety), OFH, Perrin 2.5" cat back and OP. Stock FP. Before the SC, water stayed below 210F.

I was under the impression that the stock radiator could handle the extra heat from the JRSC, but that is not what I'm seeing...

Anyone else?
Old 06-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #3511
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
What are people seeing for water temps on track in 95F ambient temps?

I'm seeing 240F+. The only cooling upgrade is the JR oil cooler. Custom 92 octane tune from @Drift-Office (I run 94+octane mix for safety), OFH, Perrin 2.5" cat back and OP. Stock FP. Before the SC, water stayed below 210F.

I was under the impression that the stock radiator could handle the extra heat from the JRSC, but that is not what I'm seeing...

Anyone else?
Do you have all of your stock underbody panels, air guides, and foam pieces in place?

If you do, you may be faster than the average driver, and need a cooling upgrade.

My preferred route is to vent the hood and add massive fans, but you can also upgrade the radiator.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Sleepless (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #3512
Sleepless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Do you have all of your stock underbody panels, air guides, and foam pieces in place?

If you do, you may be faster than the average driver, and need a cooling upgrade.

My preferred route is to vent the hood and add massive fans, but you can also upgrade the radiator.
Yep, all stock bits are in place.

So you think it is mainly an air flow issue and the stock radiator is fine? I ask because it seems kinda pointless to upgrade the radiator if the issue is airflow.

Do you have a recommendation for the fan setup? Do you think the vents alone might do the trick?

Thx!
Old 06-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #3513
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
Yep, all stock bits are in place.

So you think it is mainly an air flow issue and the stock radiator is fine? I ask because it seems kinda pointless to upgrade the radiator if the issue is airflow.

Do you have a recommendation for the fan setup? Do you think the vents alone might do the trick?

Thx!
Do you have a datalog for me to look at?

Vents would be a great first step, since you won't ever "outgrow" them.

On the other hand, if you do fans, the car does get louder for street use.

A radiator alone is the stealthiest upgrade.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #3514
Sleepless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Do you have a datalog for me to look at?

Vents would be a great first step, since you won't ever "outgrow" them.

On the other hand, if you do fans, the car does get louder for street use.

A radiator alone is the stealthiest upgrade.
Since I already have the JR oil cooler, what are my radiator choices and will they get temps down to 210F? 220F?