follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List
whiteout86monogram

Old 03-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #71
retrosmiths

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Great job, I can't wait!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:07 AM   #72
mistressmotorsports

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pm'd on the remaining set. Thanks
mistressmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #73
Haeb

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram Series
Check out SeaSucker racks. No body modifications needed. They adhere to the body and the glass with vacuum. If you felt so inclined you could mount the bike to the side of the car Having just picked up my FRS I havent invested in one of these yet, but since I own 3 times as many bikes as I do cars.... I'm going to LOL. This particular design of bike carrier has been run by the Kenda / 5 Hour Energy race team for the last couple seasons and they love it.
Attached Images

Haeb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haeb For This Useful Post:
tintumz22 (09-28-2021)
Old 03-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #74
retrosmiths

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeb View Post
Check out SeaSucker racks. No body modifications needed. They adhere to the body and the glass with vacuum. If you felt so inclined you could mount the bike to the side of the car Having just picked up my FRS I havent invested in one of these yet, but since I own 3 times as many bikes as I do cars.... I'm going to LOL. This particular design of bike carrier has been run by the Kenda / 5 Hour Energy race team for the last couple seasons and they love it.
I'm just a bit hesitant to place that much weight on the glass rear windshield. Also, how is it holding when cornering? I mean, with a bike attached I would be more careful when making turns, but sometimes you can't help it.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #75
Haeb

I havent tried em out yet.... but they say each of those cups holds with 220lbs of force...so cornering and driving should be good. As far as the glass goes I'd share your concern, but at the same time I can recall seeing people try to break door glass - on purpose - and they fail miserably LOL....meaning the glass is much tougher and harder to break then you'd reasonably assume. I believe they also make a mount that has a footprint on the body of the car of about 1 square foot - tiny - that doesnt require anything be placed on the glass. All that said.... I have a concern about the cups leaving a ring on the paint.....but if that proves unfounded....the thing would sure beat any body modifications.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #76
Haeb

I've got some contacts with the 5 Hour team.... I'll ask 'em about the glass and if the thing leaves any marks on the paint etc
Old 03-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #77
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeb View Post
I havent tried em out yet.... but they say each of those cups holds with 220lbs of force...so cornering and driving should be good. As far as the glass goes I'd share your concern, but at the same time I can recall seeing people try to break door glass - on purpose - and they fail miserably LOL....meaning the glass is much tougher and harder to break then you'd reasonably assume. I believe they also make a mount that has a footprint on the body of the car of about 1 square foot - tiny - that doesnt require anything be placed on the glass. All that said.... I have a concern about the cups leaving a ring on the paint.....but if that proves unfounded....the thing would sure beat any body modifications.
Not to toot my own horn, but the bars being discussed in this thread do not require any body modifications either...

Be very careful adding weight to the roof of this car. It is thin metal and can/will warp and contort during driving. Weight is one thing but the leverage that a bike provides that weight is another. Think of your bike swaying on the roof as you turn and drive. That weight is prying at the glass and roof. If it's even remotely in a weak spot, it can cause damage.

The tow hook bar option does not cause any damage to the car and even if it did, it would be concealed under the rear bumper anyways. If something were to happen, it would happen with the rebar which is a replacement body part that any Joe can install themselves. It's fairly inexpensive too. Much cheaper and easier to replace than a heated rear window and painted body/roof.

Just saying. Think about it before you act.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #78
Haeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Not to toot my own horn, but the bars being discussed in this thread do not require any body modifications either...

Be very careful adding weight to the roof of this car. It is thin metal and can/will warp and contort during driving. Weight is one thing but the leverage that a bike provides that weight is another. Think of your bike swaying on the roof as you turn and drive. That weight is prying at the glass and roof. If it's even remotely in a weak spot, it can cause damage.

The tow hook bar option does not cause any damage to the car and even if it did, it would be concealed under the rear bumper anyways. If something were to happen, it would happen with the rebar which is a replacement body part that any Joe can install themselves. It's fairly inexpensive too. Much cheaper and easier to replace than a heated rear window and painted body/roof.

Just saying. Think about it before you act.

Totally valid points about the glass and body work. I'm not familiar with the SeaSucker mounts in practice - just in what I've seen online etc. Your design is a fantastic work around for the problem of where to put a hitch as well, and like ya say eliminates the risk of damage to some fragile and expensive parts. Just tossed the one out there as a thought for consideration.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #79
mistressmotorsports

Drives: 2013 FR-S
My issue with putting my bike on the roof is that I am a clumsy dude. So, eventually, I will drop my bike on the roof and dent it or break the glass with the dropouts or something like that. So, my bikes go inside or out back of any of my vehicles.
mistressmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #80
Buddhalite

Drives: Model S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosmiths View Post
I'm just a bit hesitant to place that much weight on the glass rear windshield. Also, how is it holding when cornering? I mean, with a bike attached I would be more careful when making turns, but sometimes you can't help it.
[ame]http://youtu.be/zP9mndGzLt8[/ame]
Buddhalite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buddhalite For This Useful Post:
retrosmiths (03-27-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #81
Silver Ignition
APEXHNTR

Drives: 10 Series FR-S #1867
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I picked up a set of tow hooks to make a set of bars myself. I don't have a machine shop so I'll be welding steel rod (I know weight, blah blah), probably 1" .250 wall DOM to a pair of factory tow hooks with the loops hacked off...I'll post up when they're done!
#1867 of 2500

in the garage...2001 Toyota 4Runner [Solid Axle Rock Toy], 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT [Shitwagon], 2004 Honda Interceptor VFR800 [daily rider], 1978 Suzuki GS750 [Café Racer]
Silver Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #82
Moshpit37
FR-S Owner!

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6AT
Garage
Damn, looks like I missed out...

Frances - 2013 Scion FR-S in Ultramarine
Owner's Journal
Moshpit37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #83
that_guy
Dances with Cones

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshpit37 View Post
Damn, looks like I missed out...
I never expected this sort of demand...especially not after I already polled everyone here and only got a small group interested.

That said, if I can get enough to order these again, I'll do it. I need 5. PM me if interested and we'll start this all over again
Old 04-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #84
Silver Ignition
APEXHNTR

Drives: 10 Series FR-S #1867
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Here's the thread to the ones I made
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...93#post1644893

thanks @that_guy !
#1867 of 2500

in the garage...2001 Toyota 4Runner [Solid Axle Rock Toy], 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT [Shitwagon], 2004 Honda Interceptor VFR800 [daily rider], 1978 Suzuki GS750 [Café Racer]
Silver Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote