follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 07-03-2018, 12:07 AM   #15
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
Interesting find above. I ran into this small scenario when I bought my enkei RPF1s. 18x9.5 +38 couldn't clear my brembos so I needed a 10mm spacer. I go to put them on and realized the spacer is wider than my hub centric rings. so I was like well shit that sucks.. I tried to center it the best I could with my eyes/hands and went from there. So far so good.
Yeah I know somebody already went through this in here 100% but unfortunately didn't say what they did to remedy it. Now it's here to make others lives easier. I finally got my 5mm spacers and the custom cut hub rings I made worked perfect. Forgot to measure before everything went back together but I think the hubs are 7mm sticking out. So a 10mm spacer has to be the one that has the hub centric ring attached to it. The flat ones like you used will work since our wheels will center themselves to the bolts but it is nice to have them install easier with the hub centric rings.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:07 AM   #16
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Not meaning to derail/threadjack, but, any pictures of that fitment?
No problem, I have some pictures in my build thread and on my instagram in the links below if that helps. Most of the pictures are the same.

alignment specs are -3 up front and -2.5 in the back. 0 toe all around. I hope that helps!
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #17
ChRZ

Drives: 2017 BRZ SP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Think about it this way, with no centering ring:
You put your wheel on, put the first lug nut on finger tight, then proceed with the rest. When you first placed the wheel on the car, it wasn't PRECISELY centered, so your wheel might be off by a hair in the up/down-left/right directions.

Yes, as someone posted, the lugs nuts are conical, so they will technically center the through-hole of the wheel as you tighten each one, but why not just center the thing from the start? It's a cheap piece of insurance to improve the quality and consistency of removing/installing your wheels.

Yes...they will center themselves, but think of the force that happens on that 2nd, 3rd or fourth lug nut you tighten it down when it "centers" or brings into alignment the wheel after it wasn't precisely centered from the start.

This will, over time, create wear on the mating surfaces where the lug nuts meet the wheel. Scratches, marring, and eventually metal shavings will appear. Maybe it won't happen until the 20 or 30th time you reinstall your wheels, but it will happen.
ChRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #18
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
They are essentially a convenience item.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #19

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
No problem, I have some pictures in my build thread and on my instagram in the links below if that helps. Most of the pictures are the same.

alignment specs are -3 up front and -2.5 in the back. 0 toe all around. I hope that helps!
Followed. Looks good man!
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:
pgranberg11 (07-16-2018)
Old 03-03-2019, 01:27 AM   #20
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Does this middle ring exist or should I cut it like the right one?

I've found that a 5mm spacer will only give I think about 1.5mm-2mm left of the hub for a hub centric ring to grab. Every hub centric ring has a 45 degree bevel on the inside where it sits against the hub. So when the 5mm spacer is on there, the ring just wobbles and doesn't grab the hub. You can turn the ring around and it definitely grabs since that end is 90 degree cut on the inside. I thought about taking the ring and grinding the bevel on the outside and then turning it around to make it work.
Did a quick Google scan and I get this...
Not necessary: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/wheels-t...-rings-947753/

Not necessary: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29670

80/20 split: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74143

Looking up 5mm spacer on FRS/BRZ turns up nothing to show what people did using a 5mm spacer and aftermarket wheels to make it grab.
My enkei tire rack invoice states my car is a 19 corrola when in fact I drive a 13 brz. They sent the wrong size lugs(1.5), did they sent the wrong size rings too? Are there even different size rings? Want to make sure its all sorted for trouble free install, thx.
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:46 AM   #21
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
My enkei tire rack invoice states my car is a 19 corrola when in fact I drive a 13 brz. They sent the wrong size lugs(1.5), did they sent the wrong size rings too? Are there even different size rings? Want to make sure its all sorted for trouble free install, thx.
As long as they are 5x100 bolt pattern and 56.1mm hub bore, you are good to go.
It looks like a Corolla has a center bore of 54.1 so, if that's what they sent it won't fit.
If they sent the 12x1.5 lugs, I'd wager they sent the wrong rings too with the order.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
HaXx (03-03-2019)