follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #99
driftguy

Drives: In between cars... 2018 Ninja 1000
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
Well, I guess we can all agree that the BRZ/FR-S is the best in its class because it has no competition then?

YES! I wish this could be the case! I would argue that it doesn’t have any direct competition. It filled a hole, a niche, whatever you want to call it that has been open since the 240SX ended production and that only the Mustang could come close to. I have been begging for a car like this to be produced, and I personally don’t think anything really comes close.
driftguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to driftguy For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (06-04-2014), DIF (06-05-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #100
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I agree that this car has no competition.

Lightweight
RWD
2-Door
Usable trunk
New
Under $30k

Strike any one of those and you get some hefty competition whether it be weight (Mustang/muscle), RWD (GTI, Abarth), 2-Door/RWD (Focus/Fiesta, MS3, WRX), Usable trunk (Miata), New (RX8), $$$ (Cayman (arguable due to space)). Strike a couple and there's a dozens of cars lining up to challenge it (S2k, Corvette, Boxster, 911, and on and on). Add a few and the list shrinks again (lower maintenance costs, Japanese reliability, capability of 4 passengers, styling).

Sure you can cross shop all day long, the bottom line is that for my desires (and many many others) nothing else hits the same boxes. This is a car that enthusiasts have been missing, the RX-8 is the only competition in the last decade. I hope it sticks around for awhile but based on internet response it will go the same way as the RX8 and S2000.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
chas3wba0 (06-04-2014), DIF (06-05-2014), driftguy (06-04-2014), Rampage (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #101
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,943 Times in 11,378 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
... there aren't that many 4 seat big trunk sport cars around these days :

Yep, more proof here.. need to add your photo to the collection!

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #102
Harvey

Drives: Celica 5th Gen, Tiburon 04, GT86
Quote:
Lightweight
RWD
2-Door
Usable trunk
New
Under $30k

I can't believe no one notices the GT86 has 4 seats!!!! no other small sporty coupe has 4 seats!!! I didn't give a damn it was jap or whatever.

I had no choice : sport car (not a 2 door sedan!), two doors, 4 seats, decent trunck, below 30K, new..... tell me what other options there were (before there were Celica, Genesis/Tiburon, RX8, but they've all gone)?

The only alternative that comes to mind is Porsche 911... but they are expensive, widespread and I don't really like the looks (and obviously I love the GT86).
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #103
Davey

Drives: BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Usable trunk

I expected better than that from a guy named "strat61caster" - the trunk isn't usable because you can't get a guitar case through the opening... But if you fold the back seat down a Fender Deluxe case fits perfectly between the wheelwells, and then you can put the seat back up.
Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:20 PM   #104
andrew20195

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
You will never convince the ones that want more power that they do not need it and will seldom use it if they do pay the big bucks to get it. It will take years of experience and thousands of dollars wasted before they will come to that conclusion on their own.
I have personally experienced problems trying to pass slower traffic on 2 lane Texas state highways in their hilariously short passing zones. Yes, I'm winding it out to redline. Another 50-100 bhp would actually make it much safer to pass. A couple weeks ago I was on Toll 49 near Tyler, stuck behind an 18 wheeler that could only maintain 50-60 mph on that twisting highway, where the speed limit is 70 (or 75, I forget). I know if I was in my GTO, I could have easily passed him.

I bought the car knowing it would not have the acceleration that I want. I was very tempted to buy a used Porsche Cayman S in the same price range. Very similar handling. Both cars are fun and easy to drive quickly down a twisty road. What stopped me? The fact that (with my own labor) I can build 3 BRZ engines for the price of one on the Porsche. For people who have the means to modify these cars, they are one of the best supported platforms ever. We're not even 2 years into it and look what is available. It will only get better with time.
andrew20195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #105
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftguy View Post
YES! I wish this could be the case! I would argue that it doesn’t have any direct competition. It filled a hole, a niche, whatever you want to call it that has been open since the 240SX ended production and that only the Mustang could come close to. I have been begging for a car like this to be produced, and I personally don’t think anything really comes close.
It pretty much is the new 240sx until the Nissan IDx comes out.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #106
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post

I expected better than that from a guy named "strat61caster" - the trunk isn't usable because you can't get a guitar case through the opening... But if you fold the back seat down a Fender Deluxe case fits perfectly between the wheelwells, and then you can put the seat back up.
Haven't had any problems fitting my guitars, amps, bikes, luggage, outdoorsy sportsy stuff, or tools in the back of mine. Yes it takes some finangling but I couldn't fit any of the above in a Miata or S2k without resorting to piling stuff in the passenger seat, which many would argue are 'better' cars for various reasons.

I do some rowing, I've got a few teammates with Miatas and they have to put their paddles in the passenger seat whereas I can throw a dozen in my trunk without any hassle.

Imagine the outrage if I had told the story of the time me, my girlfriend and 2 friends piled in for an afternoon drive, good times were had by all. Oh I should say 'times', I've done it on a few occasions. Shortest person was 5'4", tallest was 6'2", others were smack dab in the middle. No limbs were amputated in the making of those memories.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #107
HyperTech

Drives: Mazda3 2013 / Scion FR-S 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
when someone tell me my car is slow. i just answer, slow for what? going to the next red light slower?
HyperTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #108
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
If you bought an 86 for street racing, I can understand you being a little upset that the car isn't living up to your dreams of crushing gt500's and zr1's from stoplight to stoplight. But for the rest of us, speed just doesn't matter. We bought the car for 1 reason, and 1 reason only: We ENJOY driving. We enjoy driving cars that let us FEEL what's going on between us and the road. And for those of us who understand this car, it is perfection, no mods required. We are the drivers who will put 200k miles on the odometer and enjoy every single mile of it.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #109
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
If you bought an 86 for street racing, I can understand you being a little upset that the car isn't living up to your dreams of crushing gt500's and zr1's from stoplight to stoplight. But for the rest of us, speed just doesn't matter. We bought the car for 1 reason, and 1 reason only: We ENJOY driving. We enjoy driving cars that let us FEEL what's going on between us and the road. And for those of us who understand this car, it is perfection, no mods required. We are the drivers who will put 200k miles on the odometer and enjoy every single mile of it.
People repeating this over and over is kinda ridiculous. Not everyone here who bought one uses it as a daily driver. A lot of people bought this as a track car, drift toy, etc.... People coming from built S2000s, RX7s, motor swapped 240sxs, etc. have their reasons for feeling the car needs more power. Cars like these had around the same weight, good handling, AND power (or the capability to easily make a lot of it).

Thinking the car needs more power doesn't instantly make you a street racing teenager...
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sideways&Smiling For This Useful Post:
xxBrun0xx (06-06-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #110
JDMrolla

Drives: AE86 and white FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
your talking about cars that are decades old, and comparing it to a brand new car.

there is no doubt the FRS is underpowered and while its still a good chassis the under power severely limits its potential. I've owned a lot of cool cars in my time and I like the FRS, don't get me wrong, its just missing something.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #111
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
People repeating this over and over is kinda ridiculous. Not everyone here who bought one uses it as a daily driver. A lot of people bought this as a track car, drift toy, etc.... People coming from built S2000s, RX7s, motor swapped 240sxs, etc. have their reasons for feeling the car needs more power. Cars like these had around the same weight, good handling, AND power (or the capability to easily make a lot of it).

Thinking the car needs more power doesn't instantly make you a street racing teenager...
Your wasting your breath. There is a small continent who feel that modifying (improving) these cars is somehow sacrilegious. Over and over they rant " if you need to modify this car then you just don't know how to drive". If they only knew

For those who seem frustrated with the slower lap times they read about in magazines I will tell you that a simple tire and brake pad upgrade will change those results completely. Why Toyobaru doesn't offer a " track package" just to shut the journalists up is beyond me since so many people hang their hat on what they read rather than what they do.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deep Six For This Useful Post:
airjonny (06-06-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #112
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
There is a small continent who feel that modifying (improving) these cars is somehow sacrilegious.
Australia?

I would love to see a track package. It should have:
High flow air filter
Header and full 2.5" exhaust with single high flow cat
Aggressive tune
Oil-to-air oil cooler
STI/Group-N bushings throughout
STI springs and struts
Swaybars as necessary for truly neutral handling
Lightweight 17x9 wheels with 245 MPSS tires
Upgraded brake pads with titanium shims
Upgraded brake fluid
Brake ducts
Full STI lip kit
Factory warranty that covers reasonable track usage

How much would people pay for that over the normal cost of a BRZ? And the sad part is, Subaru has all of these parts available to them already.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote