follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #57
fritzy

Drives: BRZ WRPB Premium MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Life's too short

Stop beating yourself up over it. Especially stop thinking that you've done anything to us. I'm just glad to hear that you're ok.

You're 24 and you've got lots of time to recover. Let us know what your insurance does and if you can get it fixed!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fritzy For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-15-2012), djdnz (06-18-2012), HotLeopardMama (06-15-2012), kwood9000 (06-16-2012), Lo (06-16-2012), neutral (06-16-2012), Sportsguy83 (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #58
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
I feel like the world's biggest idiot. I feel like I've shamed myself and done a huge disservice to the community. Sorry just doesn't say enough. I swore I wouldn't be one of those guys everyone was saying would do something stupid and wreck the car and drive up the insurance rates. Now I'm not only that guy, but it seems I'm the _first_ guy. Not exactly the best way to make an impression. I want you guys to know that I truly feel awful about the whole thing. I am truly sorry for letting my fellow FR-S owners down, and through making a complete ass out of myself, I feel I've learned a valuable lesson, albeit a hard one. I know some of you (a lot of you) will hate me, call me an idiot, tell me I shouldn't have even tried anything like that on a public road, etc. And I agree with you 100%. I made a stupid, stupid, irresponsible choice, and now I'm paying for it. I don't think any of you can hate me more than I hate myself.

I hope I can stand as an example of what can happen even at relatively low speeds when you're being stupid. Please for the love of god don't be me. Drive safe, keep traction control on on public roads, and don't try to be Ken Block. Unless you are Ken Block, in which case, keep being awesome.

Dude.. relax! They call it an accident for a reason. Stop caring about what people on this forum think... It's the internet.. who cares. Handle your situation.. deal with the insurance company, figure out what you want to do for a replacement car and move on with life.

I'm just hoping you have good insurance.. hopefully with gap.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eikond For This Useful Post:
neutral (06-16-2012), Snoopyalien24 (07-13-2012), Sportsguy83 (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #59
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I hate to stereotype but this was expected sooner or later.
Young guys like to think that they're invincible and that the road is a race track.
I'm still stuck in this state of mind a little bit myself sometimes.

In the end we all lose. Insurance premiums go up, innocent drivers get a bad label and a bullseye on their forehead.

Sorry I don't sound sympathetic. Glad the driver is ok though.
wu_dot_com (06-16-2012), ZmZMWagon (06-16-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #60
FT-86GOD
Senior Rocket Bunny

Drives: 1982 XX KE70
Quote:
Hey everyone.

I'm the idiot that crashed the FR-S. Not really sure where to begin, so I'll start with how it happened.
Mate there are gonna be many accidents like this... Only turds are gonna sook about insurance going up...

LOL though....

Ur a champion for joining the community and letting us all know what happened....

U took a corner with no cars or pedestrians in the area, u fukt up, made a boo-boo, u regret it and yes it was stupid and dangerous....

We make mistakes and a majority of us have made simliar choices, just not hit the pole.... U didnt hurt anyone and that IS THE MAIN THING!!!..

So the most important thing now is......... When r u buying ur next one!!!

U'll only get hate by me if u go back to FWD.. After all that is the true cause of this accident when u think about it...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FT-86GOD For This Useful Post:
neutral (06-16-2012), Prava (06-16-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #61
K2
First 8600

Drives: Darth Raven
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Don't beat yourself up too much. These things happen. Just be glad you learned a valuable lesson without spending any time in the hospital, or worse.

Let us know what happens with repair/insurance/etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to K2 For This Useful Post:
neutral (06-16-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #62
azian_advanced
*****istrator

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10-Series M/T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
although it was a foolish mistake, that was brave of you to step up and post about it even though xxxx users will probably hate you for it. i'm sure the owners reading this will think twice about doing something similar to their cars. switching off traction control and stepping on the throttle while turning a corner is a big no-no in a RWD, especially in the rain or when driving on unpaved roads.

i'm curious to know what you plan to do with your car...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to azian_advanced For This Useful Post:
nataku (06-18-2012), neutral (06-16-2012), Prava (06-16-2012), TuxedoCartman (06-16-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #63
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I actually gasped when I saw it on the front page.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #64
Ikaros
Solar wind surfer

Drives: 2013 FRS
Garage
oh god, looks like the insurance really is going to sky rocket for next year
Old 06-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #65
ruskymx

Drives: 13 HotLava FRS, 93 4Runner, 97 Taco
Quote:
I couldn't believe how much the car just crumpled. I just looked at it and sat on the ground. I can't even describe to you the feeling of seeing it like that. I just wanted to cry.
The car crumpling the way it did is the way it was designed and most new cars are designed the same way. The car will absorb energy from the accident/impact and deform to a certain point where it becomes more rigid. This is a very positive thing. The more the car deforms, the more energy is absorbed by the framework of the vehicle and the less energy from the collision is absorb by the occupants. It's not uncommon to see the front end of cars severely mangled, but yet the doors open/close almost normally. The crumple zones and the way the hood is designed to "teepee" looks like they did their job.

I'm glad that no one was injured and I couldn't even imagine how you feel. I know I would be so mad at myself. I sure you learned a lesson, albeit the hard way. Hopefully others will learn a lesson too by your misfortune and respect the car. The laws of physics can take over quicker than many of us can react to regain control. If the "nannies" were still on, this would've never happened. Those systems are the to protect ourselves from....well...ourselves.

In the end, a car can be replaced. A life or limb, cannot.

If your insurance company totals it, see if you can talk them into giving your engine to an aftermarket company to see how much boost the stock internals can handle before going kaboom.

Ruskymx
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ruskymx For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-15-2012), nataku (06-18-2012), neutral (06-16-2012), sastexan (06-18-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #66
Dang Lad

Drives: Asphalt MT FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm sure it could happen to any of us. I've already gotten a ticket going way faster than you were. Glad you're okay, and hope that the car makes it through too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dang Lad For This Useful Post:
neutral (06-16-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #67
Brett
First 86

Drives: Whiteout MT FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Well, before leaving work I decided it would be a good idea to turn off the traction control and try something similar in the FR-S. That was my first mistake.
You know how all good stories start with, "so we'd been drinking..." I think a lot of accident stories start with, "so I turned of the traction control..."

This is so similar to how I broke my dad's 'vette it's not even funny. He never drives it, so I borrowed it for about 5 months. One day I was taking a co-worker out for a ride to show off the car. Step 1 was turn off the traction control. Then while exiting the parking lot, I put the pedal to the floor. All 350 HP swung the back end wide, then I corrected and continued to correct right back the other way. After going back and forth a few times I went straight into the curb, and broke a bunch of stuff at the front.

Our local Corvette mechanic is also a racing instructor (Danny Popp AKA RAFTRacer), and he told me I needed to start auto cross for two reasons. 1 to get my fix of driving like a moose in heat. 2 to learn to control the car at it's limits. BTW we're going auto crossing on Sunday. Back on the horse!

It can always be worse.

Brett
nataku (06-18-2012), neutral (06-16-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #68
eifer

Drives: Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Glad you're OK, but this is exactly why I'm also considering a WRX I probably won't touch the traction control off button if I get the FR-S lol. At most, VCS sport.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #69
Enemies

Drives: '13 SWP Sport-Tech (Limited)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey everyone.

I'm the idiot that crashed the FR-S. Not really sure where to begin, so I'll start with how it happened.

I was on my way to lunch with a coworker. There's a right turn I've taken a million times over the past 4 years that's very wide and has huge visibility, and I would sometimes get on the gas a little in my B16-swapped CRX through the turn. I never went over the speed limit, and I only did it if there was absolutely no one else around. Being a FWD, the front tires would break free a little and it would make the turn a bit more fun. Well, before leaving work I decided it would be a good idea to turn off the traction control and try something similar in the FR-S. That was my first mistake. I entered the turn at about 20mph, and halfway through it I got on the gas and I honestly can't remember exactly what happened after that. I remember being extremely surprised and then all of a sudden I was careening for a telephone pole, and then bam. I don't even think I hit the brakes. I must've hit the clutch pedal at some point because the car was still running when I stopped. Both airbags deployed. My passenger said he didn't even touch the airbag, I grazed it a little bit and it felt like I got hit in the face with a soft pillow. I must've been going 15-20mph at the impact. I couldn't believe how much the car just crumpled. I just looked at it and sat on the ground. I can't even describe to you the feeling of seeing it like that. I just wanted to cry.

I'm 24 years old, been driving since 16, and this is my first accident/ticket. I was ticketed for "failure to maintain reasonable control", which honestly was extremely generous given the circumstances. I feel like the world's biggest idiot. I feel like I've shamed myself and done a huge disservice to the community. Sorry just doesn't say enough. I swore I wouldn't be one of those guys everyone was saying would do something stupid and wreck the car and drive up the insurance rates. Now I'm not only that guy, but it seems I'm the _first_ guy. Not exactly the best way to make an impression. I want you guys to know that I truly feel awful about the whole thing. I am truly sorry for letting my fellow FR-S owners down, and through making a complete ass out of myself, I feel I've learned a valuable lesson, albeit a hard one. I know some of you (a lot of you) will hate me, call me an idiot, tell me I shouldn't have even tried anything like that on a public road, etc. And I agree with you 100%. I made a stupid, stupid, irresponsible choice, and now I'm paying for it. I don't think any of you can hate me more than I hate myself.

I hope I can stand as an example of what can happen even at relatively low speeds when you're being stupid. Please for the love of god don't be me. Drive safe, keep traction control on on public roads, and don't try to be Ken Block. Unless you are Ken Block, in which case, keep being awesome.
Takes balls to come on here and post. I'm glad you did. It can serve as a reminder as to what can happen when you disable the built-in safety features.

I'm sorry it happened to you. But on the bright side at least you and your passenger are okay. Even though it probably feels like the worst day of your life at least you and your buddy are still walking and talking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enemies For This Useful Post:
neutral (06-16-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #70
MVJ1975
Automatic Hooligan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Hey everyone.

As others have said, don't be so hard on yourself. We all make mistakes. Nobody got hurt, you didn't hit anyone else's car, it could have been a lot worse.

I'll admit it, I've screwed up too. I wrecked my old tC by taking a corner too fast for the conditions and hitting a patch of ice. Ran right off the road through a field and nosed down into a ditch. Fortunately nobody else was on the road, and I didn't hit anything, so the damage ended up being minor ($700).

You're okay, you've learned a valuable lesson, and thanks to the safety features of the car, you're alive to tell about it.

Closed Thread