follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #337
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
I have lots of disdain for this person.

His NYIAS talk was dreadful. If he delivers with a cheap 86 I will forgive him.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #338
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post

According to Initial D (so it must be true... heh) the Civic and AE86 were natural enemies. 'Gumtape battle'. Lol...
Shigeno-san based much of his hard facts on well...truths. Yes, there is a bunch of 'fantasy' in the series, but he's a certified car nut like the rest of us, especially AE86's. Tsuchiya-san was the official race supporter/fact checker/blah blah for the series too.

In any case, the AE86 and CRX were fierce competitors in the 1600cc class races in Japan back in the early-mid 80's.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #339
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
Shigeno-san based much of his hard facts on well...truths. Yes, there is a bunch of 'fantasy' in the series, but he's a certified car nut like the rest of us, especially AE86's. Tsuchiya-san was the official race supporter/fact checker/blah blah for the series too.

In any case, the AE86 and CRX were fierce competitors in the 1600cc class races in Japan back in the early-mid 80's.
Yup, Tsuchiya Keiichi was Editorial Supervision in Ini-D
Old 07-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #340
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
if scion follows their current pricing scheme there will be ONE base model. options will include things like nav, upgraded stereo, body kit, wheels, and trd parts like sway bars, exhaust, and springs.

if things stay the same, there will be NO "packages". so if there is no moonroof, dont expect a moonroof option. no auto climate control? dont expect an option for it. no auto headlights? no heated seats? etc. then there you go, no option for it. THAT'S how they keep things cheap.

the flipside of this, obviously, is that if you WANT recaro-like sport seats, it HAS to be included in the base price. if you want projector beam HIDs? add it to the base price. etc. so as you can see, if they truly are making an enthusiast car, they will have to make it with enthusiast features, for ALL cars. that drives up the price. and there will be NO option to remove it. you dont want sport seats? too bad you're paying for them regardless because most everyone else wants them and there is only one trim.

so 23-25k is not that bad if you consider that it will come standard with "everything". what exactly is "everything"? well that remains to be seen. but we do have spy pics and what i see are sporty seats, sporty steering wheel with paddle shifters, projector beams with LED, etc...
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #341
Spencer Strayer
Drifter in Progress

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S, MKV GTi
Garage
No cd player??? wtf? please tell me this isnt going to be an s2k cr....
Spencer Strayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #342
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
Im actually a bit surprised that they're dropping the CD player, as well, when it took manufacturers far too long to finally do away with tape decks. But if you think about it, it makes sense. They seem to be serious about trying to keep the weight of this car in check and all the servos and mechanisms that go into a CD player add weight. It's weight that's not really needed when most new car buyers nowadays are using MP3 players for their audio. I certainly wouldn't use a CD player, so I'm fine with this car not having it. It's not like they're doing away with the radio all together, they're just getting rid of something that most new car buyers aren't going to use.

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #343
jay4prez
The Inquisitor

Drives: 92 Celica GT Convertible
Send a message via AIM to jay4prez Send a message via Yahoo to jay4prez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Art View Post
Im actually a bit surprised that they're dropping the CD player, as well, when it took manufacturers far too long to finally do away with tape decks. But if you think about it, it makes sense. They seem to be serious about trying to keep the weight of this car in check and all the servos and mechanisms that go into a CD player add weight. It's weight that's not really needed when most new car buyers nowadays are using MP3 players for their audio. I certainly wouldn't use a CD player, so I'm fine with this car not having it. It's not like they're doing away with the radio all together, they're just getting rid of something that most new car buyers aren't going to use.

the weight from the removal of the cd player is negligable, at most 5 lbs, servos and mechanisms? of which sort? the harness? same as the radio/player harness unless your going into a stand alone cd changer apart from the radio receiver/etc.

Just messin with ya bro.

on the same note though, simplicity I agree, do away with the cd player, I have one on my celica with an aftermarket head unit, and i use the 3.5mm jack exclusively, not even the radio.
jay4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #344
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Strayer View Post
No cd player??? wtf? please tell me this isnt going to be an s2k cr....
Go buy a tC
Old 07-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #345
xrs

Drives: 02 Mitsubishi Mirage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Art View Post

Meh...I think it's more of a cost thing. It'll probably still come with a radio and that will pretty much weigh the same as a cd player. You ever open up a CD/DVD player? The servos and mechanisms you refer to weigh like grams.
xrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #346
xrs

Drives: 02 Mitsubishi Mirage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
Go buy a tC
Better yet, go buy an ipod LOL.
xrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #347
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrs View Post
Meh...I think it's more of a cost thing. It'll probably still come with a radio and that will pretty much weigh the same as a cd player. You ever open up a CD/DVD player? The servos and mechanisms you refer to weigh like grams.
true. most of the weight from a head unit seems to come from the case rather than anything else.

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #348
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrs View Post
Better yet, go buy an ipod LOL.
Agreed. I dont even need a stereo considering I will set one up myself anyway..

BTW, every lb counts..
Old 07-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #349
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Yea it's probably not the weight, just trimming cost wherever it can be trimmed
A CD changer + player probably does cost a bit of money, I can see it being like 50-100 bucks. It's good to see them getting rid of this stuff. Last time I used a CD was to get music onto my hard drive and forget the CD. The main weight of course would be the amp and speakers, which aren't going anytime soon.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #350
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
missed out on all the updates. i hope that moto's right and the motor will be based on the EJ, not the FB. a square 86x86 bore/stroke would be ideal imo, but that would be a completely new engine. i would be happy with no cd player as well as i have an ipod and a droid. am i the only one that doesn't buy cds anymore? ditto for the moonroof. their seals all go bad eventually.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote