follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-31-2013, 11:55 PM   #15
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Looking to get this for my car, how is the navigation compared to say, an old Garmin?

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #16
Lverasky
RedBunny w/ Wing

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
Looking to get this for my car, how is the navigation compared to say, an old Garmin?
Talked to someone at Cartoy today, seems this unit is very legit. The Navi is very sensitive and fast loading. I think I am going I get it, but wait for July 4th when this unit get below $700 or less.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #17
cfusionpm

Garage
It's around 700 pretty regularly on amazon. 709.95 right now. I'm picking one up as soon as I get cash for some things I'm selling.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #18
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace_noel View Post
I want to know how this unit works on performance and functionally...I heard good things about the Z140 alot from differnt forum. Since the Z150 just came out, seem lots updates here and there. Just asking if anyone had the Z150 installed yet or not.

But the price on 950BH is cheaper...would probably go for the 950Bh if I can.
The 950 is a good unit, but for me currently w/ S3 android I'm debating to get one of these best deal z140 @$600 (amazon) vs new z150 @ $800 (local). Should I go for z150 ?
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
Lverasky
RedBunny w/ Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_86 View Post
The 950 is a good unit, but for me currently w/ S3 android I'm debating to get one of these best deal z140 @$600 (amazon) vs new z150 @ $800 (local). Should I go for z150 ?
From the unit description, seems like Z150 has a faster processor, and better signal reception. For sure if spend extra $200, I would definitely go for Z150.
TRD_86 (04-01-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
Skippman

Drives: GBS BRZ Limited
You lost me when it mentioned NAVTEQ. Never again.
Skippman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #21
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post
You lost me when it mentioned NAVTEQ. Never again.
Why is that? My only nav experience has been with a 2008 garmin that has never had its maps updated. POI is useless, but otherwise it works pretty well. I just hate having something blocking my view (and reflecting off the windshield at night). I figure two birds one stone to get a better sounding deck with built in nav.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #22
Skippman

NAVTEQ has a tedency to use outdated maps. They're the number one vendor of OEM maps for the major car companies. If you ever price a map update from them be prepared to cry. The one for my Jeep was over $300. They're also VIN locked so you have to purchase it from a dealer. All in all not a very good busines model TO ME. Your milage may very. All I know is half the time on my commute to and from work it shows me driving off road on a highway that's been there for a few years now.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #23
xitaliapunk

Drives: '13 BRZ, WR Blue, '06 Acura RSX VBP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
That's a rash generalization. All Best Buy installers aren't idiots, some are MECP Certified, represent their respective patch well, and actually know what they're doing. Once again, it is not a reflection of the brand but a reflection of the installer. Sure there are horror stories out there, but what installer can honestly say that nothing has ever gone wrong during the course of an install? Probably none. I used to be an installer at Circuit City for a few years, prior to their closing, and I also was an lead installer at Best Buy. I still keep my Master level MECP and ASE A6 certifications current. To add to that, I have a few degrees in computer science, software engineering and electrical engineering. Even though I am beyond retail and commercial level installs now, I had many of the degrees and certifications while I was an installer at Best Buy and would often run across the same generalizations as the one you made so I take exception to it. I have completed over 1000 remote starts in 4 years with Best Buy, countless in-dash radios, amplifiers, etc. I worked on high end Ferraris, Bentleys, boats, commercial vehicles, motors homes, Winnebagos, you name it and I worked on it and I had 0 damage claims. There were some installers, that I worked with, that I wouldn't let change a tail light in my vehicle, and there were some that I would trust to do anything because I was familiar with the level of work they completed. The same is true for any place of business and I can't stress enough the importance of dialog with installers.

To the OP, as with all things, I would feel the place out and ask a ton of questions prior to letting anyone touch my vehicle. This goes for a big box retailer like Best Buy and local shops. A benefit of most shops, is that they have insurance so if they FUBAR it, they pay to fix it but 99.9% of the time, your install will go off without a hitch.

As with anything I suggest you check it out in person, i'm sure a local electronics retailer will have them on display when they come out. I would also read up on the differences between the X940 and X950, they may be minimal. If you want to learn how to do things yourself, there are some DIY's on installing aftermarket radios that you can look over now in preparation for when you get your head unit. If it looks like foreign language after a few reads and a few questions, i'll be happy to guide you along.
Yeah, not all the Best Buys are good. I work at one in Car Electronics and know how to do my own stuff, though I don't work in the bay... but I learned from a installer who had been doing it for 12 years.
xitaliapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #24
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippman View Post
NAVTEQ has a tedency to use outdated maps. They're the number one vendor of OEM maps for the major car companies. If you ever price a map update from them be prepared to cry. The one for my Jeep was over $300. They're also VIN locked so you have to purchase it from a dealer. All in all not a very good busines model TO ME. Your milage may very. All I know is half the time on my commute to and from work it shows me driving off road on a highway that's been there for a few years now.
Well I'm used to that anyway. My 5-year-old Garmin freaks out when I go on the completed 52 East freeway. I use it mostly for reference as a top-view map and to estimate time of arrival. I have a pretty good sense of direction and rarely use it in an area I'm totally unfamiliar with. And even then, while it may not be the most efficient route, it'd still get me there.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #25
Skippman

Oh I don't doubt it. My TomTom came with lifetime maps and traffic updates which has served me well in my Mini. That's one of the major reasons of wanting to move to an open source head unit like the Pariot Asteroid Smart or the Ca-Fi knock offs.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #26
cfusionpm

Garage
Looks like the only difference between the 950 and 850 models is the 950 has live traffic and HD radio. I have a smart phone I can check for traffic and I never listen to the radio. I think I'll save my $100 more and just get the 850 model.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:15 AM   #27
Lverasky
RedBunny w/ Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
Looks like the only difference between the 950 and 850 models is the 950 has live traffic and HD radio. I have a smart phone I can check for traffic and I never listen to the radio. I think I'll save my $100 more and just get the 850 model.
agree..but I am still waiting for a better deal on it. $550-$600 is a reasonable price if I go with 950.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #28
larryt1026

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
when you install these Pioneer headunits, is it possible to keep the factory USB and AUX ports function? Also would be awesome if someone did a full DIY on how to install new headunit. Eh eh?
larryt1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to larryt1026 For This Useful Post:
Lverasky (04-25-2013)