follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86

User Tag List

Old 05-28-2019, 07:18 PM   #29
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James H View Post
For that price and with those looks, I would put my money on a RS3, brand prestige and at $56K (base), 174" long, 3,540lbs, 400bhp with a 3.5s 0 to 60mph and it will be faster than a Supra in dry, rain or snow. The Supra is just not a convincing case.
A lot of people buy Toyota knowing that they are giving up a bit of the edginess in European cars as a trade off for reliability, but unfortunately that is out the door with the BMW engine and tranny. And as I said, I am not convinced by the argument that we should thank Toyota for bringing back the Supra even if it is a rebadged BMW because it's not profitable to build coupes. How does Akio explain the investment they put in the Lexus LC500, RC, NX?
I love the 86/BRZ because it is truly something different and refreshing, Its selling point is that it is an agile, back to basic sports car. The Supra's selling point... its a Supra? see past that, it's really nothing original.
They are just using a legendary badge as a marketing ploy... the Toyota version of Police Academy 5....
Why are you comparing RS3 sedan with Supra coupe? If you wanna go with Audi, base S5 coupe is closest spec with Supra. Also you wanna get some spec correct. 0-60 is 3.9sec, not 3.5secs. Even orange to apple comparison, RS3 with extra hp & tq, can only get 0.1~0.2sec faster than Supra? BTW RS3 tran is AT (DQ) only and if you look it up, there's not much good thing have said bout it either... but that was my quick search. So in Audi comparison S5 only have 15hp more with extra 450lbs (3,847 lbs) and paying extra $3k for a base model isn't good comparison either.

Oh extra tip, Car and Driver dyno Supra and they got 338whp/427wtq. btw Toyota claim 335hp/365tq. But just take that as grain of salt.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...no-horsepower/

If you gonna compare, at least try to compare in same chassis... COUPE.

As for LC, RC & NX, it's different department (which I'm not expecting you to understand) plus LC & RC aren't really doing well. LC is new, so you might see ppl buying, but RC? Not really... No one want 4 ton sporty car as much as you think. This is why, they're bringing those limited edi, but reality is, they're not doing much R&T test as much on those. NX? Just a trend we live in. Even Lamborghini is making crossovers, because that's where the market is atm.

You love 86/BRZ, but not the Supra...? 86/BRZ is something different? Oh it's different alright. Lack power compare to Mustang Camaro or 370Z. Slower than 124. Not light as Miata or Elise. No functional back seat like Challenger. Low CoG? Yeah... Vette is lower. There's nothing "new" about 86/BRZ just same on things that have done by all other manufacturers have done. Even Subaru! Hell, I can buy base WRX cheaper than BRZ Limited PP. Base WRX, I can get extra functional backseat with TURBO and can smoke 86/BRZ on road, rain, snow or at the track. See what I did there. On the paper, 86/BRZ is "different" in bad ways... but when you drive it, 86/BRZ is "different" in a good way. 86/BRZ have done same thing all other have done, but did something different that selective owner will understand and love. I've stated this in my review of new Supra, but BMW and previous Supra branding truly bug you, don't look further than this. Cuz this isn't the car for you. Only selective owner will have HUGE SMILE on their face driving the new Supra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
My three problems with the Supra are in order:
01. Why get the Supra over the Z4? Z4 has optional extra power and a convertible top

02. No Manual transmission for Supra (Z4 will likely get one before the Supra if at all)

03. Styling and fake vents on a car that expensive

My main question that you guys may be able to help me understand is:
Why would someone who likes that platform buy the Supra over the Z4 (let's pretend the Supra isn't the more ugly sister)?
01. Coupe vs Vert is ppl's preference. As for extra power, it's def questionable... BUT good news, Car and Driver did dyno test and they got 338whp/427wtq. Tons more tq than Toyota claim.

2. TBH if BMW do MT, Toyota will bring MT at the same time... or earlier than BMW.

3. As for fake vents, he didn't put it there only for daily drivers. They made it for racing teams and shops that uses Supra for racing.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PKbpN9DtSc[/ame]

Your main question why choose coupe over vert... I can say the same thing. Why ppl choose vert over coupe? Why do you want soft that can rip, losses chassis rigidity, add extra weight and more breaking parts. Answer is simple. PREFERENCE. I rather have coupe and I would never own vert.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:53 PM   #30
James H

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Supra GR suffers from car leprecy!

Last edited by James H; 05-29-2019 at 10:30 AM.
James H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:00 PM   #31
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Now for something completely different
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:49 AM   #32
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
If you look at GRMN brand cars, GR 86 cost (4,968,000 yen) that's more than base model Supra (4,900,000 yen).
I understand that one reason GR cars are silly expensive is because they get them from the factory in basic form and they modify them afterwards in a GRMN garage shop. There was a comparison lately of GR 86 with BRZ STI sport and Keiichi Tsuchiya said that the BRZ was better choice if you consider also the lower cost. Reason was that Subaru managed to create this model variant directly in the factory line without doing any after modifications.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 09:49 AM   #33
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I understand that one reason GR cars are silly expensive is because they get them from the factory in basic form and they modify them afterwards in a GRMN garage shop. There was a comparison lately of GR 86 with BRZ STI sport and Keiichi Tsuchiya said that the BRZ was better choice if you consider also the lower cost. Reason was that Subaru managed to create this model variant directly in the factory line without doing any after modifications.
Recently? You mean this one from March of last year?
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06784ZZF_2[/ame]

GR86 & BRZ STI Sports have 2 separate focus in mind. GR86 focus on track vs BRZ STI Sports focus on all around like city & canyon. Suspension stroke is different, less strokes from GR86 compared to BRZ STI Sports. Brake is another factor. GR86 brake grab instantly vs BRZ STI Sports requires more pressure to get more grab. As a result, they both drive differently.
GR86 ran 1’18” around the lap vs BRZ STI Sports did 1’20”.
He stated that, if you’re looking for daily and all around drive, BRZ STI Sports. If you’re looking for track and shave time GR86. He didn’t specifically stated BRZ STI Sports was better. It's up to owner's preference and what owner looking from the car.

Last edited by ichitaka05; 05-29-2019 at 10:51 AM.
ichitaka05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ichitaka05 For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (05-29-2019)