follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #57
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagaliscious View Post
I like how quick people are to judge...did anyone read the article?

He was experienced, probably a lot more then most of us.

Yea, that first one you can just buff out...he clearly slid into a pole with the shape of that damage. Driver lost control of that car.
Says he owned at least 3 RWD cars previously, that doesn't mean anything at all. And 30 years experience? My mom had 50+ years and I still wouldn't expect her to be a drift master. She also owned numerous RWD vehicles in her time including a Mustang GT. Still doesn't mean jack.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #58
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to be a little offensive here. @Turbowned. Don't be a twit. The suspension change was the worst thing they did to the MR-2. It was prone to idiot drivers who knew nothing about driving an MR car (you know, they usually cost 5x more at the time), that was the problem. The same could be said of an FR car today what with so many FF cars on the streets. Don't make wreckless comments like that. Nobody here wants the FR-S/86/BRZ to be dumbed down. WTF?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
Says he owned at least 3 RWD cars previously, that doesn't mean anything at all. And 30 years experience? My mom had 50+ years and I still wouldn't expect her to be a drift master. She also owned numerous RWD vehicles in her time including a Mustang GT. Still doesn't mean jack.

Exactly. We live in a world where most BMW 3 series drivers don't even realize the dynamic potential of their cars. Tell them it's FR and they will stare at you blankly. Just because you have driven an FR car, doesn't mean you know how to explore the limits of one.
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #59
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagaliscious View Post
My point I was making was that people commented about it being "a stupid kid who doesn't know how to control his car". In fact it was an older guy who probably was over confident, resulting in the crash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
See me previous reply.

Anyone can do stupid shit, whether it's someone who just got their first RWD car, or their 10th.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #60
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
@Matador. Perhaps you missed the part where I said:

"Time will tell whether Toyota/Scion racks up enough complaints to warrant a change, or whether they will leave it as is... I hope they leave it, but we all know Toyota's reputation for building "safe" (read: sedate) cars."

Guys, I'm not hating on the FR-S or the way it handles. I'm surprised and thrilled that they've built this car to handle the way it does. I'm just trying to find a possible explanation to it's behavior beyond the usual "idiot driver behind the wheel" reasoning.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.

Last edited by Turbowned; 08-18-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #61
Kearny Mesa Scion

Drives: It's Slow but it Handles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
@Matador. Perhaps you missed the part where I said:

"Time will tell whether Toyota/Scion racks up enough complaints to warrant a change, or whether they will leave it as is... I hope they leave it, but we all know Toyota's reputation for building "safe" (read: sedate) cars."

Guys, I'm not hating on the FR-S or the way it handles. I'm surprised and thrilled that they've built this car to handle the way it does. I'm just trying to find a possible explanation to it's behavior beyond the usual "idiot driver behind the wheel" reasoning.
this has nothing to do with the car, its the owner. the development time of the car wasn't a year and then straight to production. this is a case of owners having a false sense of confidence because the car is so balanced and they're thinking nothing bad can happen. all it takes is one bad mistake, and again i don't think this was a snap oversteer moment. this guy pulled the e-brake at mid turn and ran out of space when they lost control.

the frs even at 10th/10th doesn't snap like a 2nd gen MR2 when your off or on the throttle, when the FRS oversteers its very linear. they e-braked the FRS and the manufacturer has no way of disabling the e-brake while your driving to prevent this.

also manufacturers will not tune their car to go beyond 30 degrees of slip out of the factory, and if it does go beyond its because it was induced by the driver.
San Diego's #1 Volume Dealer Since 2003
www.kmscion.com

Last edited by Kearny Mesa Scion; 08-18-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Kearny Mesa Scion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #62
eklipz98

Drives: 2004 Honda S2000 (RIP to my BRZ)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvM_olv7F80"]Subaru BRZ Wreck - Crash footage (Before/After) - YouTube[/ame]
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #63
Fish

Drives: 2015 Yuzu RS1.0 Scion FR-S #893
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Ouch. Hopefully no one was hurt.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #64
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Drives: 2013 scion frs 001467
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I dont mind the prius tires. im not one to push my luck in the frs anyways so i find the tires to be plenty okay. They get loose on my once in a while but ive never really lost control of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklipz98 View Post

that had to have been one brutal crash for the whole body to be messed up like that
mrlewistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #65
jarviz

Drives: Raven FRS MT
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlewistan View Post
I dont mind the prius tires. im not one to push my luck in the frs anyways so i find the tires to be plenty okay. They get loose on my once in a while but ive never really lost control of it.

that had to have been one brutal crash for the whole body to be messed up like that
I know there's plenty others that do this but how do your tires just get 'loose' so easily?

Is your VSC or trac off? I can never get back tires loose if both of those options are on and driving somewhat normal.. even in the rain.
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #66
mrlewistan
Driver of FR-S 1467

Drives: 2013 scion frs 001467
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
i gave it too much gas just after entering a right turn. Tires spun loose and i went sideways for just a split second. I hit the clutch and adjusted the gas so thats really no biggy. Im wasnt saying loose as in 100% slidding out of control lol

edit: i was still fairly new to driving a manual and an rwd car at the time
mrlewistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #67
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarviz View Post
I know there's plenty others that do this but how do your tires just get 'loose' so easily?

Is your VSC or trac off? I can never get back tires loose if both of those options are on and driving somewhat normal.. even in the rain.
The tires are incredibly underestimated, people are just regurgitating what they read in articles or review videos. The car has way more grip than you need to be driving legally and safely.

(Snow, ice, and track conditions are excluded from my statements)
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
akyp (01-29-2013), mrlewistan (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #68
eklipz98

Drives: 2004 Honda S2000 (RIP to my BRZ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Ouch. Hopefully no one was hurt.
Nope, no injuries from the wreck itself.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #69
GNS

Drives: .
Going to Jalopnik reminds me of why I almost never go there, my Noscript goes nuts.
GNS is offline   Reply With Quote