follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #309
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnocracy View Post
122,000 miles...I did an AT flush and had the spark plugs replaced at the dealership while the engine was out with Valve Spring recall...almost three weeks later when they finished with fixing CEL due to their lack of experience...was close to $500 in charges...not complimentary
Are you saying you JUST serviced your trans at 122k? Book recommends 60k, im at like 63k.

Curious how it drives, notice anything different? My transmission shifts fine rn
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:09 PM   #310
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Mainly though when I'm bored at night I'll just drive around aimlessly lol.

168k miles and counting on the FRS in 7 years. I put around 60k miles on my MR2 when I had it for 5 years (it just got totaled).
Glad I’m not the only one doing that lol makes me feel good to just drive around and enjoy the car. Though, usually I try to make any excuse to drive it lol one time my mom wanted me to pay the vet bill over the phone because it was across town, but I said we could do it in person.

I have a really short commute to work (around 12 miles) so I don’t feel as guilty when I take longer trips. Traffic doesn’t really bother me as much in the BRZ either
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #311
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
Are you saying you JUST serviced your trans at 122k? Book recommends 60k, im at like 63k.

Curious how it drives, notice anything different? My transmission shifts fine rn
I’ve felt such harsh shifts since I’ve had the car, mainly in sport mode and manual mode. I know sport mode changes up the entire transmission thing so I stopped using it. In manual mode, I get super harsh shifts downshifting from 2 to 1. I’ve gotten somewhat used to it but it does get very uncomfortable.

I recently did the 30,000 mile service and replaced the transmission pan gasket along with the fluid because it was leaking. The advisor said it was very minimal and that it shouldn’t affect anything. After that, the transmission feels the exact same way, unfortunately. I still have the power train warranty so I don’t know.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #312
OwlDance

Drives: Halo 86, '19
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
I’ve felt such harsh shifts since I’ve had the car, mainly in sport mode and manual mode. I know sport mode changes up the entire transmission thing so I stopped using it. In manual mode, I get super harsh shifts downshifting from 2 to 1. I’ve gotten somewhat used to it but it does get very uncomfortable.

I recently did the 30,000 mile service and replaced the transmission pan gasket along with the fluid because it was leaking. The advisor said it was very minimal and that it shouldn’t affect anything. After that, the transmission feels the exact same way, unfortunately. I still have the power train warranty so I don’t know.
Under normal circumstances I wouldn't really ever downshift to gear 1 unless the car autodownshifts to it when the RPMs drop too low, often around 6-7mph. The engine and transmission has to cross a large threshold due to the shortness between 1 and 2 so it's always sketchy. Half the time downshifting from 3 --> 2 is uncomfortably jarring across the entire drivetrain if it ends up over 4.5K RPM unless I hold the throttle at least modestly down until after the engine revs and locks up the trans. I've chalked all of the above to normal, unless someone else can chime in.

I do wish the AT was more seamless in shifting. Sometimes it's fast as lightning in dropping the revs to upshift, but downshifting it feels like it's beating the crap out of itself to rev up, especially downshifting from 5th to 4rth.

Edit: While on the subject, does anyone know if the first gear on the AT actually locks up?
OwlDance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OwlDance For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (08-17-2019), Will BRZ (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 04:33 PM   #313
Hypnocracy
Hypnocratic Missionary

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post

I was not the owner at 60K...Spark Plug-AT flush-Valve spring recall was done somewhere along 117k IIRC...122k is current mileage...also not sure if it was JUST serviced (or for the first time) currently I'm not experiencing any AT issues...shifting is normal...can't say I noticed any difference before or after the flush.
Hypnocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:06 PM   #314
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlDance View Post
Under normal circumstances I wouldn't really ever downshift to gear 1 unless the car autodownshifts to it when the RPMs drop too low, often around 6-7mph. The engine and transmission has to cross a large threshold due to the shortness between 1 and 2 so it's always sketchy. Half the time downshifting from 3 --> 2 is uncomfortably jarring across the entire drivetrain if it ends up over 4.5K RPM unless I hold the throttle at least modestly down until after the engine revs and locks up the trans. I've chalked all of the above to normal, unless someone else can chime in.

I do wish the AT was more seamless in shifting. Sometimes it's fast as lightning in dropping the revs to upshift, but downshifting it feels like it's beating the crap out of itself to rev up, especially downshifting from 5th to 4rth.

Edit: While on the subject, does anyone know if the first gear on the AT actually locks up?
Thank you. That’s interesting and good to know. I just started letting it downshift on its own. Have I done any significant damage to the car by shifting into first?
The Following User Says Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
VoltsFRS2013 (08-20-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 06:42 PM   #315
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Glad I’m not the only one doing that lol makes me feel good to just drive around and enjoy the car. Though, usually I try to make any excuse to drive it lol one time my mom wanted me to pay the vet bill over the phone because it was across town, but I said we could do it in person.

I have a really short commute to work (around 12 miles) so I don’t feel as guilty when I take longer trips. Traffic doesn’t really bother me as much in the BRZ either

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I lived in a major city that had an expansive freeway system. Driving around San Jose or greater LA at 3am is awesome.

Quote:
Thank you. That’s interesting and good to know. I just started letting it downshift on its own. Have I done any significant damage to the car by shifting into first?
Na, it's fine. It'll just never be smooth really for that downshift. I do it on mountain drives sometimes and no lasting issues. I do replace my ATF fairly often though (30k usually, no longer then 45k). And that is when the rest of the shifts start to not feel as nice.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #316
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:

Upshifts at low RPM will always need to be slower because revs just drop slower at lower RPMs. The same thing happens on a manual. You can rush it with a manual but it’s not good for the syncros. Downshifts can be faster because you can accelerate the engine faster than you can decelerate it. This is where a lighter flywheel really comes into play.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #317
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
How to you keep track of your "kill" record? May I suggest graphics on the passenger door?
That gave me a good laugh. Thanks dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotsaMiles View Post
I literally tried to do that. I can't find any vinyl small animal stickers. I wanted to do the "WWII bomber" "kills" thing.
They sell them at the craft stores like Michaels and AC Moore.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:02 PM   #318
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Yeah, it's one of the reasons I lived in a major city that had an expansive freeway system. Driving around San Jose or greater LA at 3am is awesome.

Na, it's fine. It'll just never be smooth really for that downshift. I do it on mountain drives sometimes and no lasting issues. I do replace my ATF fairly often though (30k usually, no longer then 45k). And that is when the rest of the shifts start to not feel as nice.
Hell yeah bro windows down, music up Literally no better feeling.

I got this from @OwlDance in another thread: "D is essentially economy mode and sticks to the fluid coupling as much as possible. Sport mode is dumb and inconsistent. Transmission has to go from fluid coupling to locking which causes a delay in power transmission when going from a standstill as the engine pauses during the lock up."

Sometimes, I start driving in D and Sport mode and that's mostly when I get the rough shifts. Then, I put it in M after that and the rough shifts persist. However, if I start in M and Sport mode (which does nothing at that point), everything's fine. Is the Sport mode something you guys stay away from?
Old 08-17-2019, 12:26 AM   #319
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hell yeah bro windows down, music up Literally no better feeling.

I got this from @OwlDance in another thread: "D is essentially economy mode and sticks to the fluid coupling as much as possible. Sport mode is dumb and inconsistent. Transmission has to go from fluid coupling to locking which causes a delay in power transmission when going from a standstill as the engine pauses during the lock up."

Sometimes, I start driving in D and Sport mode and that's mostly when I get the rough shifts. Then, I put it in M after that and the rough shifts persist. However, if I start in M and Sport mode (which does nothing at that point), everything's fine. Is the Sport mode something you guys stay away from?
I only use sport when driving normal over hills and stuff to keep rpm up. Doesnt seem to shift any rougher really

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (08-17-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 04:01 AM   #320
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
1st gear is just a launch gear to get you into 2nd gear. 1st gear eats gas big time.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #321
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:

i have a 2013 and ive never had problems shifting through any of the gears. im at 150k miles

I basically engine brake up to every red light i've ever come across out of old habits driving a manual in the past.

The 2-1 shift isnt really necessary

The 3-2 shift should be smooth. its basically pointless to do a 3-2 shift if you are above 45mph

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #322
Hoahao

Drives: 2014 Monogram Hot Lava
Garage
I just had my auto trans fluid and rear differential fluid changed at 59,000 miles. Wanted to get it done while still on the warranty at the dealership. They used a "Toyota approved fluid transfer machine."

I thought it shifted ok before it went in, but I did notice it Was smoother after it was done. Don't know if it was changing the diff. or the trans, or both. I also found that fuel mileage improved by 1/10 of a mile per gallon.

I don't plan on waiting as long again, but probably around 90,000 to 100,000 miles for the trans fluid. I don't track or autocross, just the usual "spirited" street driving.