follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2019, 09:09 PM   #127
EricNJ

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.

I've been searching for answers to similar issue after the recall, and just joined the forum. Wanted to share my experience with folks here.

I had my 2013 FR-S serviced for this recall on 1/31/19, it had 86K miles on it and had been extremely smooth and reliable, never had any issues from the day I bought to the day I sent for the recall service.

It took a week for the spring valve work done. On the 2nd day after the car arrived at the dealer, they called me and told me there was oil leak near my drain plug. I asked if they are sure about that, since I've been using Fumoto valve on all my cars and never had a single drop of oil leaked all these years. They called me back 20 min later and saying everything was ok, no leaking. I was puzzled and don't know why they could be that wrong.

Anyway once the recall work was done (5 days), I drove the car home without checking it. I did smell oil burning smell when I drove and I figured that was probably some spilled engine oil from the service, so didn't pay too much attention to it. Next morning I checked the engine oil when the car was still inside my garage, realized the dipstick tip was gone (about 2/3" gone), and I could not even put the dipstick back to the tube completely, I assumed the broken piece was stuck at the bottom of the tube. I contacted the dealer immediately and they told me to bring the car back to dealer next day.

Once back at the dealer, I noticed several people were talking together and they all looked at me when I started to walk towards the service counter, and one of them pointed to my direction and saying something to the others and then they quickly dispersed. I felt really odd that day. When they did a quick check of the car and told me that they will replace the tube and dipstick for free, but it will take a week for the parts to come in (ship from CA to NJ). So I waited a week and got a call the following week to bring the car there again for dipstick/tube replacement.

30 min later the work was done, I opened the hood and did a quick check, it looks the new parts were in and I drove home after that.

The oil burning smell got stronger by the day since the service, I finally decided to take closer look under the hood. Found oil around the dipstick tube and below it, I jacked up the car this evening and took a look at the bottom, there are clear evidence somewhere is leaking oil. My car never had any oil leaks and it was always clean and dry.

Now I remembered the dealer called me (before the Spring Valve work started) and told me my oil drain plug was leaking oil .... could that be their preemptive trick???

I've been calling the dealer for 2 days now and just scheduled an appointment this afternoon for tomorrow morning to ask them to take another look. This is really not a good experience. Attaching 2 pictures I just took this evening, one is top view from engine's right side, the other one is the oil drain valve I have. I don't know if this oil leak was from the dipstick tube or from that major work on the Spring Valve.
Attached Images

Last edited by EricNJ; 03-07-2019 at 09:12 PM. Reason: typo correction
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EricNJ For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #128
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Proof is in the oil pressure. If a clog is on the high pressure side it would starve a main or rod journal quickly. Camshaft bearing might take longer but it would likely be in the hundreds of miles.

That screen clog could vary a great amount and might starve an engine only at higher speed. Everyone who has had this done should drop their pan and check that screen, or test/watch oil pressure.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #129
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
The way the oil is covered in dirt makes me think it was a preexisting leak. Do you drive in dirt roads or something that would contaminant the oil quickly? A fresh leak is normally wet but clean. It’s odd they would tell you you have a leak and then turn around to say you don’t.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #130
EricNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
The way the oil is covered in dirt makes me think it was a preexisting leak. Do you drive in dirt roads or something that would contaminant the oil quickly? A fresh leak is normally wet but clean. It’s odd they would tell you you have a leak and then turn around to say you don’t.
Hmmm ... I change my own engine oil so I got to see the underneath of the car often, never saw this dirt/oil before in the last 7 years that I have owned the car. The service was done almost a month ago, so I have been driving the car all these days, not sure if the snow, dirt and salt on the road will quickly pile up onto the oil.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:30 PM   #131
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNJ View Post
Hmmm ... I change my own engine oil so I got to see the underneath of the car often, never saw this dirt/oil before in the last 7 years that I have owned the car. The service was done almost a month ago, so I have been driving the car all these days, not sure if the snow, dirt and salt on the road will quickly pile up onto the oil.

I guess I should have looked at the date in your first post. In a month I could see it getting packed with dirt. Now that the dipstick has been replaced maybe try cleaning up the area and see if it comes back. Make sure you check your oil like crazy until you resolve the problem.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:35 PM   #132
EricNJ

Quote:
I guess I should have looked at the date in your first post. In a month I could see it getting packed with dirt. Now that the dipstick has been replaced maybe try cleaning up the area and see if it comes back. Make sure you check your oil like crazy until you resolve the problem.
Thanks, I will check the engine oil level tomorrow morning before I head out to the dealer. But will leave the oil there for now so they can see them.
The Following User Says Thank You to EricNJ For This Useful Post:
ermax (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 09:38 PM   #133
ermax

There are like 3 or 4 people reporting jacked up dipsticks. Such a strange thing to mess up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-07-2019), Teseo (03-08-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 09:45 PM   #134
EricNJ

Quote:
There are like 3 or 4 people reporting jacked up dipsticks. Such a strange thing to mess up.
As long as they don't damage/mess up other parts, I would take this dipstick issue .... But from what I read from this thread, many folks are having serious issues with their engine now, that is really disturbing.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:48 AM   #135
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Techs are fucking up perfectly running engines... hope toyota make the recall but with shortblock
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:50 AM   #136
KevlarZN6

Drives: 13 Toyota 86~ 72 Rb26 240z
Man, seeing all these stories scare me. I was the 5th person who got the recall done over at Toyota Huntington Beach. I've put in 1,746 miles on it and I haven't had any major issues (hope i dont). The tech did leave a EVAP hose disconnected in two locations. The CEL didn't come on until I tried to use the cruise control and it failed, causing the CEL to turn on. I read the codes, had a pending code for the EVAP system and some cruise control/ABS issue code. Been working fine since then. oh, he also closed the hood on a tool, chipping and slightly bending the edge of my hood. Didn't realize this until a week ago. I prefer having these hiccups over a more serious issue.
Hope everyone's issue is resolved!
KevlarZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:11 AM   #137
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Techs are fucking up perfectly running engines... hope toyota make the recall but with shortblock

That would require even more labor and even more room for mistakes. Unless they decide to do a full engine recall or corporate starts covering the failures under warranty then I’m not bothering with the recall.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (03-08-2019), RallySport (03-09-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #138
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
A short block is a built bottom end. That wouldn’t even address the valve spring issue the recall is for. It would need to be a long block or a complete engine.

Again, not Subaru/Toyota but.... our engines come that way. Either a long block, swap injectors, manifolds, all electronics and harness. Or complete minus accessories. Manifolds, injectors, harness all ready to go.

It’s an issue of money. The labor charge wouldn’t be much different, maybe 2 hours less to replace the engine. The parts price would be much higher. Valve springs and seal kit has to be under $500. Our engines are $10k+

I replaced an engine on a new-ish car that was $60k. The whole car was only $65k
Attached Images

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #139
Magoo

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
Yes sorry, probably i'm confusing
best way to check: @Magoo were you tuned in the past or always have been stock ?
I just put the OFT tune for the torque dip back on a few days after getting the car from service.

Sorry, I was away from the computer for a few days. I had to unplug and relax.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #140
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,065 Times in 774 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
@ermax so he was tuned even before the recall and after:P
didn t expect the dealer to find proof on ecu other than miles count/crank cycle count reset
@Magoo did you unmarry your OFT before bringing back your broken car after the recall?
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
ermax (03-08-2019)