follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
Steelscion

Drives: 2013 scion frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Gears getting stuck

Recently these last few months I have noticed some problems down shifting before a stop. So when I push the clutch in to hit neutral from 2nd it will get stuck. This happens in any gear if I brake and don't want to downshift and just want to pop in neutral. Also this gets very frustrating when you are at a light and it turns green and can't get into first. Don't think it's dragging because I tested the car with if it moves forward with clutch in.

I have the ACT 6 puck street clutch with lightweight flywheel. Ptuning turbo kit if it matters. #CuzBoost

Any help will be much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Steelscion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:43 PM   #2
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
so trying to go into 2nd gear first and then going into 1st doesn't work?
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:21 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well, that's aggravating .......

Old school suggests you check the clutch fluid level. Next drain, replace and bleed the clutch system.

Come back.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Steelscion (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 01:18 AM   #4
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Steelscion: even if you did test of car not moving test when adjusting clutch pedal travel, imho it's insufficient for these cars. It didn't move, gears were relatively easy to switch when stationary, but still gearswitch was rather hard at speed. I needed to deal back and add even more clutch pedal dead travel, for gear switches to happen smoothly even during normal drive, to eliminate for sure slight clutch drag, that i didn't detect on "moving with clutch in" or "hesitation on gear switches when stationary" tests.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Steelscion (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 07:41 AM   #5
Steelscion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
so trying to go into 2nd gear first and then going into 1st doesn't work?
2nd gear down to 1st or neutral gets stuck a lot of times. It's almost like I have to wait 2 seconds when the Rpms fall to slid back into a gear for it to smoothly engage. Otherwise it's clunk and I'm braking and caught in a stuck gear.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #6
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
I agree. Just because the car isn’t creeping in 1st when the clutch is pressed doesn’t mean it isn’t still dragging a little. Maybe jack up the rear end and then see if the wheels turn while the clutch is pressed. It doesn’t take much drag to make it hard to pull out of gear and hard to put back.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Steelscion (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #7
Steelscion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I agree. Just because the car isn’t creeping in 1st when the clutch is pressed doesn’t mean it isn’t still dragging a little. Maybe jack up the rear end and then see if the wheels turn while the clutch is pressed. It doesn’t take much drag to make it hard to pull out of gear and hard to put back.
I will give it a go and get back to you guys. Thank you so much!!

Old 11-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #8
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
"2nd gear down to 1st", remember, there is safeguard built in for 1st, for it to be doable easy only at very low speeds. With some well performed rev-match maybe one can get in 1st at higher rpms too, but in general that is one thing that is not fault but feature of all even not that new cars. After all, the torque at 1st is highest and overrev at downshift to 1st due gearing can get out of range easiest, so to lessen possibility of killing tranny or engine there is that safeguard built in. I'm sure, that if you'll wait speed to drop to some 10-15kmh, it should be much easier to get in 1st. This particular thing is not about clutch drag, but about intentional gearbox construction functionality just like there is rpm cutout in ecu code. When i was young, i managed few times on my 2spd moped switch down to 1st instead of neutral when i moved at max speed for 2nd. Engine lived through .. but it surely didn't prolong it's life to have briefly double rpms past redline
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #9
ermax

There is no safeguard. It’s just that first only has single syncros because people don’t typically downshift into first. If you learn how to double clutch you can slip it into 1st with literally zero resistance. Keep in mind that double clutching is not the same thing as a typical rev match.

Clutch in
Pull to neutral
Clutch out
Blip
Clutch in
Pull into first
Clutch out

The key is matching revs while in neutral while the clutch is out. A typical rev match would be done while the clutch is pressed so all you are slinging is the flywheel. Blipping in neutral with the clutch out will sling the flywheel AND the input shaft. Doing this dramatically reduces the load on the syncros.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
paintdude258 (02-20-2018), Steelscion (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #10
Steelscion

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
"2nd gear down to 1st", remember, there is safeguard built in for 1st, for it to be doable easy only at very low speeds. With some well performed rev-match maybe one can get in 1st at higher rpms too, but in general that is one thing that is not fault but feature of all even not that new cars. After all, the torque at 1st is highest and overrev at downshift to 1st due gearing can get out of range easiest, so to lessen possibility of killing tranny or engine there is that safeguard built in. I'm sure, that if you'll wait speed to drop to some 10-15kmh, it should be much easier to get in 1st. This particular thing is not about clutch drag, but about intentional gearbox construction functionality just like there is rpm cutout in ecu code. When i was young, i managed few times on my 2spd moped switch down to 1st instead of neutral when i moved at max speed for 2nd. Engine lived through .. but it surely didn't prolong it's life to have briefly double rpms past redline
I understand 1st gear is only for getting started. I never downshift to 1st unless it's under 5mph. I don't get how if I'm at a stop and try to go from netrual to 1st it will block me out and have to keep going back and forth trying to force in.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #11
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelscion View Post
I understand 1st gear is only for getting started. I never downshift to 1st unless it's under 5mph. I don't get how if I'm at a stop and try to go from netrual to 1st it will block me out and have to keep going back and forth trying to force in.

You shouldn’t. On reverse yeah (no syncros), but no other gears should be this bad at idle and stopped.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #12
Steelscion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
You shouldn’t. On reverse yeah (no syncros), but no other gears should be this bad at idle and stopped.
It's inconsistent. It only happens when car is warmed up maybe 15 min of driving and if I'm sitting at the light with clutch out in neutral and it turns green it can be a bit annoying constantly trying to go into 1st. Other times it goes in perfect. I don't think I'm doing anything different when I try to put in gear either.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:39 AM   #13
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Recently these last few months I have noticed some problems down shifting before a stop. So when I push the clutch in to hit neutral from 2nd it will get stuck. This happens in any gear if I brake and don't want to downshift and just want to pop in neutral. Also this gets very frustrating when you are at a light and it turns green and can't get into first. Don't think it's dragging because I tested the car with if it moves forward with clutch in.

I have the ACT 6 puck street clutch with lightweight flywheel. Ptuning turbo kit if it matters. #CuzBoost

Any help will be much appreciated!

A light flywheel gains and loses revs faster than a normal one. When engaging the clutch to shift into first you are actually losing too many revs and it is not spinning the first gear synchro up enough. As counter intuitive as it sounds try bring the revs up just a bit more before shifting into first from neutral. It will be a fine line which can be a bit tricky to master with a lightweight flywheel but it should help.
Steelscion (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #14
Cybmx

Drives: 2016 Hyperblue Brz
Quote:
It's inconsistent. It only happens when car is warmed up maybe 15 min of driving and if I'm sitting at the light with clutch out in neutral and it turns green it can be a bit annoying constantly trying to go into 1st. Other times it goes in perfect. I don't think I'm doing anything different when I try to put in gear either.

I have the ACT clutch and have been dealing with the same issue for a while. I have to constantly bleed the clutch to get it to work properly. When the car is cold, everything works perfectly. After some stop-and-go traffic, I would get lock out of gears sometimes.
Cybmx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cybmx For This Useful Post:
dhuang (11-10-2017)