follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #15
kiichiro
corolla specs/GTR looks

Drives: ooh oooh pretty tail lights
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Who is your tuner?
That was fun, thanks Hachi
kiichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #16
nelsmar

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 345 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTROB View Post
Pump gas, 100 RON, equivalent to 93-94 over there
Quote:
Update: after a couple of days, it looks like the ECU is still adjusting. Driveability improved a bit, idle now drops to 500-600 instead of 400-500 rpm.

My tuner will be coming over tomorrow to try and fix the injector scaling. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I also spoke to a buddy of mine with a Full Blown turbo kit tuned by the same tuner, he says he also experienced the idle dip. But it went away after a week.
You may want to stop using your tuner. I have tuned a JRSC on E85 without running out of fuel and hell a 50 trim @ 11.5PSI on pump gas... Unless he is running you at a 9:1 AFR to mask an issue there is no way you are maxing your fuel system out. The simple answer is your tuner lacks experience with this platform. Ask him if you can have an unlocked ROM and I can take a look at it for you. Or I can even send you a basemap for the stock pulley and pull some timing out and he can copy his timing maps, fuel maps, and cam maps over.

Early on on this platform everyone was running out of fuel and telling people they needed to upgrade their fuel system to gain further power which eventually changed as tuners became more experienced.

There is little any of us can do to help you as you have no form of logging, or any way for us to send you a ROM to test or anything. It is very common for tuners to screw up injector scaling on this platform as you cant simply shift the maf to compensate for injector scaling issues like you can with a pure port injection car. And if your tuner required you to upgrade your fuel system due to maxing out so early then I would strongly lean towards he does not know how to tune the injectors correctly either.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #17
HRTROB

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
You may want to stop using your tuner. I have tuned a JRSC on E85 without running out of fuel and hell a 50 trim @ 11.5PSI on pump gas... Unless he is running you at a 9:1 AFR to mask an issue there is no way you are maxing your fuel system out. The simple answer is your tuner lacks experience with this platform. Ask him if you can have an unlocked ROM and I can take a look at it for you. Or I can even send you a basemap for the stock pulley and pull some timing out and he can copy his timing maps, fuel maps, and cam maps over.

Early on on this platform everyone was running out of fuel and telling people they needed to upgrade their fuel system to gain further power which eventually changed as tuners became more experienced.

There is little any of us can do to help you as you have no form of logging, or any way for us to send you a ROM to test or anything. It is very common for tuners to screw up injector scaling on this platform as you cant simply shift the maf to compensate for injector scaling issues like you can with a pure port injection car. And if your tuner required you to upgrade your fuel system due to maxing out so early then I would strongly lean towards he does not know how to tune the injectors correctly either.
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, there are only two Ecutek tuners here in my country. One of them has not yet tuned a boosted 86 or BRZ as far as I know. The tuner I went with has already tuned four Vortech, two Sprintex, one Full Blown, their personal custom turbo 86, and possibly more. So they have the most experience out of all the options I have.

Regarding maxing the fuel system, one of the Vortech kits they tuned was fine with the stock injectors. This was with an automatic transmission though.
HRTROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #18
nelsmar

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, there are only two Ecutek tuners here in my country. One of them has not yet tuned a boosted 86 or BRZ as far as I know. The tuner I went with has already tuned four Vortech, two Sprintex, one Full Blown, their personal custom turbo 86, and possibly more. So they have the most experience out of all the options I have.

Regarding maxing the fuel system, one of the Vortech kits they tuned was fine with the stock injectors. This was with an automatic transmission though.
I will gladly help your tuner fix your fueling issues with the OEM injectors if you would like. I will PM you my email address and you can have him email me and I can send him an example rom. Its best to always add the least possible parts to your car for the results you want. Adding extra modifications adds complexity. I have tuned a number of FI cars on this platform with the OEM fuel system without any issues.

I am not trying to sell you anything at all just trying to offer some base maps to give to your tuner that may help him resolve an issue and hopefully save you some $$.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nelsmar For This Useful Post:
HRTROB (03-24-2014), Tye300 (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #19
HRTROB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsmar View Post
I will gladly help your tuner fix your fueling issues with the OEM injectors if you would like. I will PM you my email address and you can have him email me and I can send him an example rom. Its best to always add the least possible parts to your car for the results you want. Adding extra modifications adds complexity. I have tuned a number of FI cars on this platform with the OEM fuel system without any issues.

I am not trying to sell you anything at all just trying to offer some base maps to give to your tuner that may help him resolve an issue and hopefully save you some $$.
Thanks for the offer nelsmar! Will definitely mention this to my tuner. This is what the community needs, guys like you who go out of your way to help others

My tuner dropped by today and did some logs, and after a couple of adjustments the car runs perfect now. No more idle dip on throttle tip in. Fuel trims look good now. I'm a very happy camper Good thing my tuner is really patient, very easy to talk to and spends time to make sure the car is running right. Nowhere near as bad as Toni@FA20club. Lol. Just waiting for my AEM wideband gauge to arrive then off to the dyno!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #20
nelsmar

Quote:
Thanks for the offer nelsmar! Will definitely mention this to my tuner. This is what the community needs, guys like you who go out of your way to help others

My tuner dropped by today and did some logs, and after a couple of adjustments the car runs perfect now. No more idle dip on throttle tip in. Fuel trims look good now. I'm a very happy camper Good thing my tuner is really patient, very easy to talk to and spends time to make sure the car is running right. Nowhere near as bad as Toni@FA20club. Lol. Just waiting for my AEM wideband gauge to arrive then off to the dyno!
Good to hear! And I'll gladly still send those files over for him to use in the future everyone that has tuned on this platform has hit that fuel wall before!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #21
Tye300

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Good to hear Rob! Have to get a ride in your car soon. I might need your help when my oil cooler arrives.
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #22
HRTROB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye300 View Post
Good to hear Rob! Have to get a ride in your car soon. I might need your help when my oil cooler arrives.
Sure thing, I'll let you take it for a spin at the next meet!

Be sure to triple check all your oil cooler fittings, make sure they're tight! Check for leaks for the first 10 minutes after starting the car. Or you might have a leak that could potentially start a fire. Don't ask me how I know
Old 05-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #23
HRTROB

A little update. After a couple of weeks, no idle dip during slight throttle tip in. Idle will dip though when you quickly tap the throttle. It isn't a problem at traffic, but happens when I blip the throttle to drop into second during cruising around town. Car also starts weird, it isn't as smooth as when the car was stock injectors.

I'm starting to think that the problem is with the injectors, being inconsistent at low IPW, like others have experienced in this thead: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65312

My tuner said that the rough starting is because of the DW 700cc injectors, being shorter than stock and having a narrow spray pattern. I've been in a car with full blown injectors tuned by the same tuner, his idle and startup was silky smooth.

Thoughts?