follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Sikkwidit

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
KW Rear Top Hat Question

I'm having trouble finding aftermarket top hats for my rear KW V3's, any suggestions?
Sikkwidit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
JDKane527

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You can contact @robispec to get his rear top hats that add 2" shock travel.

Raceseng offers a set as well in 2" added travel, and will have a 1" version soon:
http://www.raceseng.com/shock-top-20...r-s-subaru-brz

You could always use the OEM top.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
Wepeel

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
^I wonder with those shock-travel-extending rear tops if people might run into coil bind at certain ride heights or if they'd need to get shorter springs. Hmmm.
Wepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
I used STi Group-N rear mounts. Got mine from RCE.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
Sikkwidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDKane527 View Post
You can contact @robispec to get his rear top hats that add 2" shock travel.

Raceseng offers a set as well in 2" added travel, and will have a 1" version soon:
http://www.raceseng.com/shock-top-20...r-s-subaru-brz

You could always use the OEM top.
Should I just buy an OEM top? I don't want any added travel.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Sikkwidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnk View Post
I used STi Group-N rear mounts. Got mine from RCE.
How are they working for you? I see you said "used" so are you not using them anymore?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepeel View Post
^I wonder with those shock-travel-extending rear tops if people might run into coil bind at certain ride heights or if they'd need to get shorter springs. Hmmm.
They don't affect ride height or spring length, they just let the shock shaft extend higher through the mount so that you're not going to bottom out the shock given the same amount of bump travel. They only way you'll get coil bind is if the shock is currently bottoming out fully (horrible for the shock).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikkwidit View Post
Should I just buy an OEM top? I don't want any added travel.
Not saying you won't be fine with the stock upper mount, but why wouldn't you want an extra inch or two of bump travel without giving up anything but a bit of droop travel (which there is quite a bit of already)?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (10-19-2018), DAEMANO (03-20-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #8
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikkwidit View Post
How are they working for you? I see you said "used" so are you not using them anymore?
"Used" as in installed and happy and not as in past-tense as opposed to "had" or "used to have". They work fine, no noises and no issues.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #9
Wepeel

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
They don't affect ride height or spring length, they just let the shock shaft extend higher through the mount so that you're not going to bottom out the shock given the same amount of bump travel. They only way you'll get coil bind is if the shock is currently bottoming out fully (horrible for the shock).
Well the shock "bottoms out" when it gets a bit into the bumpstop. Probably most everyone will bottom a shock out whenever they get in the car to go for a ride. The idea is that the bumpstop will hit it's near-infinite rate before the spring compresses beyond it's rated travel (which is still usually far less than the travel to get to block length). If the bumpstop is moved up 2 inches, you run into the possibility of the bump limiter to be the spring at block length instead of the bump stop.

Not saying this is the case, just pointing out that it's probably worth looking into. Especially for people who might be running coilovers at the higher end of their rated ride heights.
Wepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepeel View Post
Well the shock "bottoms out" when it gets a bit into the bumpstop. Probably most everyone will bottom a shock out whenever they get in the car to go for a ride. The idea is that the bumpstop will hit it's near-infinite rate before the spring compresses beyond it's rated travel (which is still usually far less than the travel to get to block length). If the bumpstop is moved up 2 inches, you run into the possibility of the bump limiter to be the spring at block length instead of the bump stop.

Not saying this is the case, just pointing out that it's probably worth looking into. Especially for people who might be running coilovers at the higher end of their rated ride heights.
By bottom out the shock I meant the shock itself bottoming out internally, not the whole assembly hitting the external bump stop (the one on the shaft). Bottoming out the shock internally is very bad for it, hitting the external bump stop is totally fine for the shock.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #11
PoorMansRacing
Anorexic

Drives: 2003 Honda S2000 Suzuka Blue
Quote:
Not saying you won't be fine with the stock upper mount, but why wouldn't you want an extra inch or two of bump travel without giving up anything but a bit of droop travel (which there is quite a bit of already)?
What do you recommend? I am also curious as well.
PoorMansRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #12
wparsons

Garage
For me personally, I'd want to add back travel for however much it was lowered over the coilover at the highest setting.

ie: if max height = 1/2" lower than stock and you're running it 1.5" lower than stock I'd want the 1" upper mount to gain back the extra inch of lowering.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #13
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Drives: 2014 Hachiroku of the year
Thanked 1,770 Times in 761 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
i'm using 2011 STi rear top hats with my Kw's.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #14
newbrz

Drives: Limited Dark Gery Metallic BRZ
Quote:

What benefit do I get to have a higher travel? and which one do you think would be best for occasional track use and mostly daily driving? Also, I dont want to drop the car too low. PD: I am running on KW's. Thank you beforehand.
newbrz is offline   Reply With Quote