follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-21-2019, 11:24 AM   #155
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Right after I bought my first radar detector(Passport 8500 X50) I got hit with a laser by a Florida Highway Patrol bike. My detector didn't go off. I asked him what he used since my radar detector didn't even make a peep and he said laser.
Then we got into a conversation about how accurate it was and if really got me with it. He let me shoot a car with it to see how it works. No ticket and just a warning to slow down a little. Probably a little over the 55 mph safe zone in the 45 mph road by me.
As mentioned before there are bad apples in every industry and I got one that wasn't a d-bag that day. He was younger so maybe he just wasn't in long enough to get the cop attitude? That stop made me respect law enforcement more than ever knowing that they all aren't out to get us. I actually started watching my speed more after that stop so it appears as if he actually knew what he was doing maybe?
You only got a warning because he didn't actually get you.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #156
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
The amount of detail on specific parts varied in each story but that doesn't mean he was lying. He seemed to be sure he wasn't the one doing 92 anyway. Did he say something conflicting? I mean it's his memory of multiple moving objects over a given length of time. Just because he added some detail he didn't devuldge before doesn't mean that it's false or meant to deceive. To me his overall story was still consistent.

If he doesn't know the difference between 70 to possibly 80 how could he tell the difference between 80 and 90?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #157
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
If he doesn't know the difference between 70 to possibly 80 how could he tell the difference between 80 and 90?
Well I am glad somebody get's it!

Dadhawk (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #158
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
The speedo is usually in increments of 10?

Old 08-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #159
p1l0t

Oh wait we have digital too...

The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #160
Howaitoguru

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Oh wait we have digital too...

To be fair from the time the Charger went around me to the time I saw the cop was about 3 seconds. And I wasn’t paying attention because I was more worried about getting him off my ass. But whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Howaitoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Howaitoguru For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #161
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howaitoguru View Post
To be fair from the time the Charger went around me to the time I saw the cop was about 3 seconds. And I wasn’t paying attention because I was more worried about getting him off my ass. But whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well good luck, if your lawyer knows the prosecutor you might get off with a minor speeding or something. Or maybe even just community service or a retraining or something.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Howaitoguru (08-21-2019), korhun (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 04:55 PM   #162
IceFyre13th

Drives: Mazdarati
Thanked 1,369 Times in 675 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Speeding is Racist...................

and do this................

Old 08-21-2019, 08:35 PM   #163
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
You only got a warning because he didn't actually get you.

He got me, that I am sure of. Can't remember the exact speed he said I was going but he stated was what I was actually doing. When He popped his lights on I looked at speedo and
thought "Yup, I'm speeding" but it's just the flow on the road which is why I was surprised for the stop to begin with. It know it wasn't outrageous, probably 15 over in the 45 which
is why it was just a warning. I immediately admitted to what I did and said I was sorry. That's most likely the reason for the warning and like I said, he was probably the nicest police
officer I've come across.

Coming home from work today I am in the work van on another stretch over here that is 45 also. The pack of cars I was in is all going faster than me and I was doing 60. It's just normal. They probably
just have better fish to fry around here and rather than give out lazy speeding tickets for extra revenue because they have actual criminals to deal with. Everybody in Florida knows about Waldo.
That's the kind of place that you don't speed in and they get huge revenue with their speed traps. If you Google "Waldo Florida" it pops up "waldo florida speed trap".
They since disbanded their city police I believe since they were taking advantage. Sounds like Georgia has the same issue but it's the whole State you have to worry about.
Story here: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...711-story.html
http://www.sehinc.com/news/truth-abo...ained-engineer

Good read for anybody thinking that driving at the posted speed limit is some feat that they should get a pat on the back for: http://www.sehinc.com/news/truth-abo...ained-engineer
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (08-23-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 12:43 AM   #164
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Quote:
He got me, that I am sure of. Can't remember the exact speed he said I was going but he stated was what I was actually doing. When He popped his lights on I looked at speedo and
thought "Yup, I'm speeding" but it's just the flow on the road which is why I was surprised for the stop to begin with. It know it wasn't outrageous, probably 15 over in the 45 which
is why it was just a warning. I immediately admitted to what I did and said I was sorry. That's most likely the reason for the warning and like I said, he was probably the nicest police

Coming home from work today I am in the work van on another stretch over here that is 45 also. The pack of cars I was in is all going faster than me and I was doing 60. It's just normal. They probably
just have better fish to fry around here and rather than give out lazy speeding tickets for extra revenue because they have actual criminals to deal with. Everybody in Florida knows about Waldo.
That's the kind of place that you don't speed in and they get huge revenue with their speed traps. If you Google "Waldo Florida" it pops up "waldo florida speed trap".
They since disbanded their city police I believe since they were taking advantage. Sounds like Georgia has the same issue but it's the whole State you have to worry about.

Good read for anybody thinking that driving at the posted speed limit is some feat that they should get a pat on the back for: http://www.sehinc.com/news/truth-abo...ained-engineer
How is that possible? -

(yep, a slow day here in Puyallup - )

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #165
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:

Yep, the Waldo Bill came from the Waldo speed traps. I used to go through Waldo headed to UF once a week and they were out there every time. I also passed through Stark which is the same way. They are always out in those two spots so you just do the limit there. Once clear everyone is back to 80mph in the 65 (if I recall). Did that route for years and never got a ticket.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:20 PM   #166
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Honest to god, I gave some good advice earlier but the more I read in this thread the more I kind of hate this community. No wonder Boomers complain about youngsters... y'all got no sense of personal responsibility. Even when I was driving like an asshole when I was younger, if I had done something wrong I took my licks. While I'd prefer people to drive safely (which doesn't mean don't speed... but pay attention), the least you can do is own up to it when you get caught fair and square.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 06:35 PM   #167
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
Honest to god, I gave some good advice earlier but the more I read in this thread the more I kind of hate this community. No wonder Boomers complain about youngsters... y'all got no sense of personal responsibility. Even when I was driving like an asshole when I was younger, if I had done something wrong I took my licks. While I'd prefer people to drive safely (which doesn't mean don't speed... but pay attention), the least you can do is own up to it when you get caught fair and square.
He wasn't caught fair though, even if he was in the wrong. (Assuming it was the Charger passing him who was doing 92 and not him)

The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Spuds (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #168
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
You must be OLD!

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (08-26-2019)