follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
Kernel_Panik

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
MOLLE Trunk lid liner

What started as a project to make a small pocket for my ice scraper so I don't have to dig for it in the trunk turned into a DIY project for a whole new trunk lid liner that adds some storage options to the BRZ.

First, I remove the stock liner. It's held in place with seven pop fasteners (which I'll re-use). The factory liner is made of some corrugated plastic covered with felt. It stays in place OK, but it's not stiff enough for what I'm about to do to it. Some earlier cars didn't come from the factory with this liner. You don't necessarily need it (it's getting replaced), but it helps to have a pattern.
I trace it out on some aluminum sheet, cut it to shape, and bend it in two places. I used a .050 inch thick sheet left over from another project, but I would go thinner if I did it again. Making the holes just a bit over size at this point will help with installation into the car later.

Next, I lay some nylon MOLLE webbing over the aluminum backing. MOLLE webbing is like a standard for securely attaching two fabric objects together. It's used by backpackers to create modular backpacks; police and military use it for making vests to carry ammunition, etc. You can make it yourself if you're handy with a sewing machine, but I bought an off-the-shelf sheet of it and cut it to size. As usual with nylon, all the cut ends have to be melted or they'll unravel.

There aren't many adhesives that stick to smooth aluminum but won't soak through and damage the nylon fabric. I use my go-to method for fastening fabric to metal: pop rivets; lots and lots of pop rivets. It helps to know where the new liner will contact the metal of the trunk lid; having a rivet sticking out there could scratch the paint or get in the way of installation. Taping over all the cut edges and sticking some foam rubber stickers on the backs of the rivets helps prevent scratches.

Mounting the completed (and much stiffer) liner on the trunk lid is more difficult than removing the old one, but the factory pop fasteners eventually snap into place. There are cutouts in the liner for some cables that connect to (I think) license plate bulbs and trunk release which need to be checked for clearance before putting it in place.

Now here's the fun part: outfitting the new trunk liner. I put in storage for the ice scraper, one for tools, and a quick-release first aid kit. Two more pouches are attached to the back of the trunk; I think I'll throw some tire chains in them or something. These pouches are available in backpacking or military surplus stores in various colors, or from searching the web for "MOLLE pouches". They're built to a standard, so they should all be compatible.

EDIT: passenger side dash panel now has the same treatment.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=14

Last edited by Kernel_Panik; 10-27-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Link to additional images in reply.
Kernel_Panik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kernel_Panik For This Useful Post:
5H1F7Y (10-30-2019), humfrz (08-18-2019), jordan7831 (09-01-2019), lextrueno (09-18-2019), Mr_Eyo (08-19-2019), Overdrive (08-30-2019), shiumai (08-19-2019), soundman98 (08-18-2019), Tristor (08-18-2019), weederr33 (08-21-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
this is the most oper8or thing ive seen here. pretty neat idea
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Breadman For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (08-18-2019), lextrueno (09-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #3
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
tactikal BRZ!
Old 08-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #4
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
this would actually be bad ass as F*ck if you did this to baja brz.

lift kit, running lights rear seat delete and Molle panels for the seat delete and trunk, needs an ar15 and some gas cans too
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:26 PM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Impressive bit of work, thanks for sharing.

But, a lot of work to hold an ice scraper - -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:04 AM   #6
Mr_Eyo

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This is dope! If you find the packed trunk lid too heavy for the stock struts, I can vouch for the tS struts are very much stronger.
Mr_Eyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:46 PM   #7
Kernel_Panik

Good idea on the stronger struts. I can feel them slowing down as I add equipment to the lid, and I suspect I'll need to either replace them or delete the wing for the trunk to stay open in cold weather.

Unrelated question: Anyone know where to find the little pop fasteners that hold the liner in? It wouldn't hurt to have some spares and I haven't found any in exactly the right size yet.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:58 PM   #8
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel_Panik View Post
question: Anyone know where to find the little pop fasteners that hold the liner in? It wouldn't hurt to have some spares and I haven't found any in exactly the right size yet.
https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Default.asp
Old 08-21-2019, 01:30 AM   #9
Mr_Eyo

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Good idea on the stronger struts. I can feel them slowing down as I add equipment to the lid, and I suspect I'll need to either replace them or delete the wing for the trunk to stay open in cold weather.

Unrelated question: Anyone know where to find the little pop fasteners that hold the liner in? It wouldn't hurt to have some spares and I haven't found any in exactly the right size yet.
I just went to the local auto store and found a match visually with a non Subaru clip made by Dorman.
Mr_Eyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:26 AM   #10
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Just needs a > https://milsysgroup.com/turrets/
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:18 PM   #11
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
What started as a project to make a small pocket for my ice scraper so I don't have to dig for it in the trunk turned into a DIY project for a whole new trunk lid liner that adds some storage options to the BRZ.

First, I remove the stock liner. It's held in place with seven pop fasteners (which I'll re-use). The factory liner is made of some corrugated plastic covered with felt. It stays in place OK, but it's not stiff enough for what I'm about to do to it. Some earlier cars didn't come from the factory with this liner. You don't necessarily need it (it's getting replaced), but it helps to have a pattern.
I trace it out on some aluminum sheet, cut it to shape, and bend it in two places. I used a .050 inch thick sheet left over from another project, but I would go thinner if I did it again. Making the holes just a bit over size at this point will help with installation into the car later.

Next, I lay some nylon MOLLE webbing over the aluminum backing. MOLLE webbing is like a standard for securely attaching two fabric objects together. It's used by backpackers to create modular backpacks; police and military use it for making vests to carry ammunition, etc. You can make it yourself if you're handy with a sewing machine, but I bought an off-the-shelf sheet of it and cut it to size. As usual with nylon, all the cut ends have to be melted or they'll unravel.

There aren't many adhesives that stick to smooth aluminum but won't soak through and damage the nylon fabric. I use my go-to method for fastening fabric to metal: pop rivets; lots and lots of pop rivets. It helps to know where the new liner will contact the metal of the trunk lid; having a rivet sticking out there could scratch the paint or get in the way of installation. Taping over all the cut edges and sticking some foam rubber stickers on the backs of the rivets helps prevent scratches.

Mounting the completed (and much stiffer) liner on the trunk lid is more difficult than removing the old one, but the factory pop fasteners eventually snap into place. There are cutouts in the liner for some cables that connect to (I think) license plate bulbs and trunk release which need to be checked for clearance before putting it in place.

Now here's the fun part: outfitting the new trunk liner. I put in storage for the ice scraper, one for tools, and a quick-release first aid kit. Two more pouches are attached to the back of the trunk; I think I'll throw some tire chains in them or something. These pouches are available in backpacking or military surplus stores in various colors, or from searching the web for "MOLLE pouches". They're built to a standard, so they should all be compatible.

Nice little IFAK. I keep one on my backpack with all the basic trauma gear I need.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
twistednoble (11-13-2022)
Old 08-21-2019, 10:38 PM   #12
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
ask them if it comes in world rally blue
Old 09-01-2019, 06:44 PM   #13
jordan7831

Drives: 2016 Halo FRS
great idea! Thanks for the writeup
jordan7831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #14
Kernel_Panik

Update: MOLLE interior dash panel

The MOLLE trunk liner project worked out pretty well, so I gave a piece of interior dashboard trim the same treatment. The factory piece was already covered in fabric that I didn't want to destroy, so I ordered a plastic spare.

Unfortunately, not all passenger-side dashboard trim pieces are the same size in all variants of the twins, so I had to attach a little extension so it would mesh nicely with the head unit bezel. I covered the whole thing in headliner glue and riveted on a section of pre-made MOLLE panel:

I've packed this panel with a radio, a tactical tissue dispenser, and a collapsible drop pouch (throw a plastic bag in there and it's an easy-empty trash can).

Anyone got a suggestion for a little AA-size flashlight that can clip to the right side of the panel? I still have some space on there.

Tags
diy, liner, molle, storage, trunk