follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-29-2015, 01:44 PM   #1
jp_r6

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Noisy throw out bearing

Have a question my throw out bearing is very noisy when just sitting but damn does it put up a racket when you ramp up the gears and hang the rpm high.... Clutch seems little jumpy in 1st too... 26000 miles on it now still na with exhaust and tune only...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jp_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
Babel

Drives: 2015 BLACK BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My wrx of old had a throw out bearing issue on deceleration using the tranny, it had 90k miles though. Every time I hear something funny I get flash backs..
Old 11-29-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_r6 View Post
Have a question my throw out bearing is very noisy when just sitting but damn does it put up a racket when you ramp up the gears and hang the rpm high.... Clutch seems little jumpy in 1st too... 26000 miles on it now still na with exhaust and tune only...

So what is the question?
Chances are the answer would be... Take it to the dealer...
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:04 AM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_r6 View Post

Well, the throw out bearing on these cars has been a problem for some folks.

You may, or may not know, the TOB on these cars is always turning (as long as the engine is running); it just comes under more stress when it is "working" (i.e. the clutch pedal is depressed).

So, if is bad, it will usually howl at you louder, the faster the engine is running.

Now, if the bearing is bad, it could be NOT engaging the fingers on the pressure plate uniformly, thus causing the clutch to be a bit "jumpy".

The only way to tell if the bearing is bad is to "open up" the assembly and have a look see.

Like @swarb recommends ....... time to take it into the dealership (especially it's still under warranty).

If it's not under warranty, you could take it to a transmission shop.

OR, you could do it the old fashioned way ...... run your car up on blocks, get out your socket set and a case of beer and ....... oh, never mind .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
fumanchu1 (12-09-2015), Toyarzee (12-07-2015), Ultramaroon (11-30-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
innate.ideas

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Friday my TOB started making noise, 2013 FR-S daily driver 43k miles. Saturday take it to dealer. Monday dealer says it's the clutch and not covered under warranty, $1600. 30 years driving stick with zero clutch problems ever, 2 years in an FR-S now problems. I love driving this car but I'm not amused right now.
innate.ideas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to innate.ideas For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (12-07-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by innate.ideas View Post
Friday my TOB started making noise, 2013 FR-S daily driver 43k miles. Saturday take it to dealer. Monday dealer says it's the clutch and not covered under warranty, $1600. 30 years driving stick with zero clutch problems ever, 2 years in an FR-S now problems. I love driving this car but I'm not amused right now.
Was it a squeaky noise at the last 2" of clutch pedal travel after the car is completely warmed up? If so, then a number of us got it fixed under warranty including myself. Some people posted their work orders in below thread. Maybe worth a try to print those and let your dealer know.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56882
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
innate.ideas

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Yes on clutch travel but not a squeaky noise really, depending on RPM the noise changed. Low sort of grinding noise at low RPM to supercharger sounding at 3000-4000 range.
innate.ideas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:19 PM   #8
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I have 8100 miles on my 2016 and the bearing is noisy. Also my 89 Toyota pickup, 98 Tacoma, 89 Acura Integra all made bearing noise. When the noise gets loud enough that you can't hear your tunes then it should be replaced.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:58 PM   #9
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by innate.ideas View Post
Yes on clutch travel but not a squeaky noise really, depending on RPM the noise changed. Low sort of grinding noise at low RPM to supercharger sounding at 3000-4000 range.
I see. Sounds like a different problem from what I had.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #10
R42o

Drives: Subaru BRZ
The dealership just replaced my throwout bearing under warranty. Sometimes it happened all the time but sometimes it would happen once in a while. It would make honking like sound when I would change gears between clutch engagement and disengagement.

When I first bought the car at 19k miles it was doing it but it was barely noticeable and I didn't realize it was my car. I used to think people were honking at me. It didn't really start doing it until about 25-26k miles.

I was very surprised after the dealership told me they found it was the TOB and that they were going to replace it under warranty. I was expecting them to fight it.
R42o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to R42o For This Useful Post:
SuperDave (07-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #11
scudzey

Mine's making noises now at 51k, took it into a local dealership to get it looked at. The techs there told me they couldn't replicate the noise, then followed that up with the most idiotic bullshit ever.

The service associate said that because I had lowered my car with coilovers, I had changed the angle which the rear axles meet the diff. Because of this, I would be causing damage to my transmission.

I tried explaining to him that CV joints are designed to change angles, it's their entire damn point, and even conceded that perhaps running them at a different angle may decrease their longevity, it would have nothing to do with the transmission.
He ignored me and picked up a phone that was ringing as he handed my keys to me.

I don't think that I've ever been so pissed off before. I knew modding my car would disqualify service for certain things, and cause easy excuses for catastrophic failures, but this was the most asinine reasoning I've ever heard. I just left from that dealership.

It's been a few months now and the bearing noise is starting to get louder, but I do have a new clutch on order to support an FI mod I'm doing now, so it'll all be fixed soon.
scudzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:13 PM   #12
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
@scudzey
Always get everything in writing. Otherwise you never came in. That is how dealerships push people away without getting other problems. Shady I know, but pretty much all dealers do this.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:41 PM   #13
scudzey

@swarb
I have it in writing that they didn't hear the sound. The bullshit that the associate spewed though was off the record. I just couldn't believe what he said, it was so wrong in so many ways, if it wasn't my car I'd be laughing. I do at least plan to go in there when I get the current bearing out and talk to the service manager, show him the evidence that they missed. It may be for nothing in the long run, but I still want to let him know he's got a bunch of incompetent buffoons working there.
scudzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #14
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Go to another dealer

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote