follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #1
BuzzR

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clutch Fork Failure - i.e. New Clutch and Tranny

Hi.

I've been VERY happy with my 2013 BRZ - until yesterday afternoon in Phoenix, AZ.

I was driving around and suddenly the car lurched and the RPMs dropped and the engine wouldn't keep running. Several dash lights flashed on and off. Then the clutch pedal went all the way to the floor and locked with it stuck in first gear.

I had to pull over ASAP and called a friend who came and called a tow truck for me (I'm hearing impaired) and we had it taken to a dealership. Today, at the dealership, it was explained to us that due to a defective clutch fork, the throw-out bearing had failed and caused serious damage to the clutch and the transmission - destroying them both.

The car has only 35,000 miles on it and has been carefully maintained by a Subaru dealership.

The transmission is covered by my power train warranty, but they want to charge me $1,200 for a new clutch and assembly.

I did some searching and found that the 2013 BRZ has a history of chronic clutch fork problems.

So I thought I'd throw this out here and see if anyone has had a similar problem and can offer any info or advice.

If the clutch fork has been proven to be defective, I don't think I should have to pay anything to have everything completely repaired by Subaru, but I've never had anything like this happen, so I'd appreciate any advice anyone may have as to how to proceed.

I plan to take some Net pics and info about the fork to the dealer and see what they say, but should I contact anyone else, like a government agency, etc?

Thanks for any help or advice you can contribute.

BuzzR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Well that sucks.
Second tell them to fuck off, @ 35k you shouldn't have to pay jack.
The fork is not the issue it's the throw out bearing that is. There's a known service bulletin call out for them. But being a dealership they would try to get money off of you no matter what.

If they insist on a new clutch, buy one yourself for $300-ish. Then have them put it on.
If your current dealership doesn't want to play ball, then look for another one. Tell them the situation and hopefully they will help you out. Or you can call the Subaru of America costumer help line.

Ask for the part number replacements. I'll bet it's just the throw out bearing, retaining clips and the input shaft housing. If you buy that yourself it's only like $50-60 for the throw out bearing and about $130-150 for the input shaft housing.
Unless it really destroyed the tranny. But it should be covered.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (06-21-2018), Spuds (06-23-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 06:51 AM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Well that sucks.
Second tell them to fuck off, @ 35k you shouldn't have to pay jack.
The fork is not the issue it's the throw out bearing that is. There's a known service bulletin call out for them. But being a dealership they would try to get money off of you no matter what.

If they insist on a new clutch, buy one yourself for $300-ish. Then have them put it on.
If your current dealership doesn't want to play ball, then look for another one. Tell them the situation and hopefully they will help you out. Or you can call the Subaru of America costumer help line.

Ask for the part number replacements. I'll bet it's just the throw out bearing, retaining clips and the input shaft housing. If you buy that yourself it's only like $50-60 for the throw out bearing and about $130-150 for the input shaft housing.
Unless it really destroyed the tranny. But it should be covered.
Nah. If the TOB went as bad as they said it took the whole clutch with it.
Agree the fork probably had nothing to do with it.
If warranty has timed out it doesn't matter how many miles were on the car.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So you have an extended warranty? What was their reason for not replacing the clutch under warranty?
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #5
Horrid_Funk

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ PP
I think it's standard to not replace the clutch under warranty as it's a consumable part. Any idiot can burn the clutch out before the warranty's up and they don't want to be stuck replacing it over and over. I feel like in this circumstance though they should make an exception and cover it as it's due to a faulty part and not excessive wear.
Horrid_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Horrid_Funk For This Useful Post:
Spuds (06-23-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #6
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just curious, but what is the powertrain warranty on these cars? How many years/miles?
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #7
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Trans snout can usually be repaired...if that's the sole problem with trans.

Point being...if Subaru does not have to pay for an entire transmission, possibly they'd more likely cover damaged clutch parts repair, which was due to bad throwout bearing.

Video here, not necessarily for BRZ, yet is for Subaru:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frcvMyAyOco[/ame]

Last edited by ToySub1946; 06-21-2018 at 12:26 PM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToySub1946 For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (06-22-2018), MJones_RB (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
Trans snout can usually be repaired...if that's the sole problem with trans.

Video here, not necessarily for BRZ, yet is for Subaru:

They are a relatively cheap and easy replacement on these. Don't have my invoice nearby but believe it was around $80 for the whole case cover.
Mine was pretty chewed up from the blown TOB.
Attached Images

chaoskaze (06-22-2018), Ganthrithor (06-22-2018), ToySub1946 (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #9
Horrid_Funk

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Just curious, but what is the powertrain warranty on these cars? How many years/miles?
60,000 mi/5 years
Horrid_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Horrid_Funk For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 02:09 AM   #10
BuzzR

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Thank you all for your information and comments. Very helpful.

I was told that a complete, new tranny is necessary. I guess the TOB did a LOT of damage. My power train warranty will cover the tranny (I've owned the car just over 4 years,) about $3,400. So I don't think they'd pay that if the tranny were repairable.

As for the fork, the mechanic specifically said the fork likely threw the TOB out of alignment and caused it to break free and cause the damage.

I've done a little research and have found reports saying the forks for the 2013 BRZ were junk. So I'm going to bring that up when it comes time to pay. I'm hoping I can get the cost reduced.

I won't mind paying a reasonable amount, but $1,200 is the absolute maximum for repairing a BRZ clutch (about $600 is the minimum,) so it sounds like they're trying to get some of their $3,400 back at my expense.

I've always maintained the car through a dealership and I know how to properly drive a stick shift and use a clutch, so I know the clutch was not abused.

Waiting for the tranny to arrive now. Mechanic said car should be ready Monday or Tuesday. So I'll talk to them then and see if they'll come down at all.

Thank you again for your help and advice.
BuzzR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:30 AM   #11
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,243 Times in 8,611 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzR View Post
Thank you all for your information and comments. Very helpful.

I was told that a complete, new tranny is necessary. I guess the TOB did a LOT of damage. My power train warranty will cover the tranny (I've owned the car just over 4 years,) about $3,400. So I don't think they'd pay that if the tranny were repairable.

As for the fork, the mechanic specifically said the fork likely threw the TOB out of alignment and caused it to break free and cause the damage.

I've done a little research and have found reports saying the forks for the 2013 BRZ were junk. So I'm going to bring that up when it comes time to pay. I'm hoping I can get the cost reduced.

I won't mind paying a reasonable amount, but $1,200 is the absolute maximum for repairing a BRZ clutch (about $600 is the minimum,) so it sounds like they're trying to get some of their $3,400 back at my expense.

I've always maintained the car through a dealership and I know how to properly drive a stick shift and use a clutch, so I know the clutch was not abused.

Waiting for the tranny to arrive now. Mechanic said car should be ready Monday or Tuesday. So I'll talk to them then and see if they'll come down at all.

Thank you again for your help and advice.
You need to call corporate and be firm. You shouldn't pay shit. A clutch lasts a long ass time with normal driving, and this failure, whatever part, caused its pre-mature destruction.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Spuds (06-23-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 02:53 AM   #12
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Hey. My TOB was poop. Dealer didn’t want to do anything. Tried second. Nothing. Called and emailed Toyota of North America and North California...after 2ish hours I had someone email me and we got a dealer to rent me a car for free, replace TOB, transmission fluid and I forgot what else. All free. Took a week or so. Just keep calling, explain situation etc... if something comes up.
Spuds (06-23-2018)