follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #15
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frs300 View Post
i should have done special forces instead of chair force working on jets...you at ft benning?
no i work at mountain phase of ranger school
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #16
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
What is your ethanol content currently, just out of curiosity?
not sure, i need to invest in an analyzer among many other things. I drained both sides of the tank best i could and ended up putting in 12.3 gallons of e85 before the dyno so i figured i was doing pretty good. But that was about a month ago. The price also sudently jumped up when the warm weather hit and my cold start has fluctuated for the worse since then. What do you preffer for an e content analyzer?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #17
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
If you don't have an ECA.. then ethanol content isn't causing the injected volume to change at all in open loop. You have no compensation set up for it, and it's in open loop.

If you're just running E85 with no comp.. and the failsafe map is wideband input vs. map... i'd guess that the open loop afr is just off by enough to trip the failsafe.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #18
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

maybe im wrong but how i figured it was since i was at a lower e content before i was able to run a couple more psi before hitting the limit on the injectors. Then as the e content went up i was hitting the injector limit sooner.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #19
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This is why flex fuel kits exist unless your plan is to run E85 all the time from now on. I definitely recommend the Moto-East one.

Nice figures on the turbo, I have the same one coming with a JDL kit. Have a dyno printout of the 450 run?
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #20
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

its in the fullblown owners thread, im a little lazy right now. I run e85 all the time since the turbo instal.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #21
jamesm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
maybe im wrong but how i figured it was since i was at a lower e content before i was able to run a couple more psi before hitting the limit on the injectors. Then as the e content went up i was hitting the injector limit sooner.
that would (could) be correct if you had a flexfuel setup, but being that you aren't applying any correction for ethanol content in open loop, you won't be requesting higher fuel volume as the content increases, and thus the PI duty shouldn't change. one exception would be the LTFT in the high bucket being applied, but that's usually turned off for an FI setup.

i'd be willing to bet that it's just the failsafe triggering due to error in open loop from the (un-compensated for) change in ethanol content.

you need a flex fuel kit. and if you're at 92% duty, some bigger injectors to be safe regardless .
Old 04-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #22
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

but if the injector duty cycle stays the same and you increase ethanol content it should become leaner at the same power. Correct? with its less caloric value as e increases.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reaper For This Useful Post:
DBW (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 05:13 AM   #23
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What was your fuel level at,....take a close look at the saddle tank design on this car. My car ran great till a half a tank and lower, then would start running lean. Its a problem with this car at higher boost and suppling enough fuel. The passenger side cant scavenge fast enough to supply the drivers side regardless of what pump you use. This was with e85 which inherently is going to need more volume and at 18.5 of boost.
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:55 AM   #24
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

thats intresting, but the fact is the PI was over 90% so i need injectors, or to keep it turned down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reaper For This Useful Post:
DBW (04-11-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #25
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Well ive been away from my car for awhile but I took it back out today with the boost turned down to 10.5 psi and its doing the exact same thing. Full throttle at full boost the afr is good but if I lift then floor it again it leans out and I hit my failsafe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #26
jamesm
Banned

Quote:
but if the injector duty cycle stays the same and you increase ethanol content it should become leaner at the same power. Correct? with its less caloric value as e increases.
Yes it will lean out as e content increases, but it has more to do with stoichiometry and the variation in liquid density than it does with calorific value (actually, in terms of afr the calorific value is irrelevant).

The point I was making was just to say that having e in the tank isn't raising the duty cycle, because there's no compensation that would increase the ipw without an ECA.

I would argue that having an afr-based failsafe in the absence of an ECA, when running e85 is not a great idea. The open loop afr is certain to vary quite a bit without compensation for the ethanol, which is what I suspect you're seeing. Without logs and insight into the rom it's impossible to know for sure, though.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:14 AM   #27
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

I was wondering about that. Wouldn't ltft adjust though?

Old 05-04-2014, 12:30 AM   #28
jamesm
Banned

Quote:
I was wondering about that. Wouldn't ltft adjust though?

If it's on, and even if it is not very well. The high bucket ltft (which is what applies in open loop when it's allowed to) only cares about the 40-60g/s maf range (by default). Luckily ethanol content variation tends to introduce a global error (ie uniform across the maf range), but this is predicated on the fueling error being uniform across the maf to begin with which it almost never is in real life.

So yeah, in theory the ltft should pick up the error and apply it and all should be well, but it rarely works out so well and you can see evidence of this in logs from folks running e without flex fuel.

I've found that the best thing to do is to minimize fuel trims to the point that they're within 2% across the maf, then turn off the trims in open loop so that variations don't effect the open loop afr. This is particularly important on FI cars, which is why ecutek's documentation recommends doing this in those applications. I suppose with trims minimized to that degree you could just go ahead and leave them on, perhaps with a reduced range (default is +/- 40%, which is insane lol). If running e without flex fuel, you basically have to leave them on so that you have something compensating for e content variation, you just have to accept that the open loop AFR isn't going to be very consistent. This is why man invented ECAs .

Last edited by jamesm; 05-04-2014 at 01:02 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (05-04-2014)