follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #29
TeamZleep

Drives: 2013 FRS/2011 TDI
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
I do commute in my FR-S and I ALWAYS leave them on when I'm driving on the street. The street isn't a place to have the ass end out anyway. So why do you need the aids off on the street again?!?

There are plenty of trackdays, autoX, and drift events if you want to have fun, that's where I have my fun!
There was a time where no nannies existed, and nobody was slideways at every corner. I personally just like having more control over the car. I learned how to drive in s30z's... Kinda used to it. But that's me.
TeamZleep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamZleep For This Useful Post:
zenki_levin (03-08-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #30
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanGT View Post
If you haven't had professional "high performance driving" instruction then that should be your first "mod" for your car. Forza and Gran Turismo don't count.
I was actually in 830th place in 2012 GT Academy using a G27 wheel with no prior experience in real life. My first time ever at the track was in August 2012, where the instructor was very surprised at how well I was tackling corners and how well I kept my car handling neutral with very little over/understeer. He joked that he didnt need to be in the car with me, but then of course as a 'newbie' there were some things I had to improve on that I would never had gotten with GT5.

But I do understand where youre coming from and I agree with you, GT5 can only do so much but in real life nothing beats feeling the G forces pushing you back and forth and side to side.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #31
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
When it's raining outside and you have a RWD car, and there's traffic and minivans, rain and ice and everything else that against the word "Sport", you should definitely leave Traction Control = ON otherwise you could crash cost you over $10k or lose your car just seeking some cheep thrills on a public road. I just think we should be levelheaded and lighthearted in driving the brz with respect.

Here's a example where a minor skid problem becomes a major skid on the highway
( Ferrari F458 Crashes When Trying To Overtake)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN3pdfgG48c"]Ferrari F458 Crashes When Trying To Overtake - YouTube[/ame]

p.s.- I have much better faith in the 86 in a rain skid than the red pontoon boat

Last edited by radroach; 03-08-2013 at 02:09 PM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #32
BryanGT

Drives: WRD BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
When it's raining outside and you have a RWD car, and there's traffic and minivans, rain and ice and everything else that against the word "Sport", you should definitely leave Traction Control = ON otherwise you could crash cost you over $10k or lose your car just seeking some cheep thrills on a public road.

I'm not trying to be overbearing in my attitude towards driving with passion , I just think we should be levelheaded in and respect the car's balance between the wheels traction to the road environment.

p.s.- I have much better faith in the 86 in a skid than the red pontoon boat
Technical term for that guy is "Non-driving Fucktard."
BryanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #33
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamZleep View Post
There was a time where no nannies existed, and nobody was slideways at every corner. I personally just like having more control over the car. I learned how to drive in s30z's... Kinda used to it. But that's me.
There was also a time with no seat belts and air bags. By your logic please remove those from your car. Why make your car less safe?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #34
exmayol

Drives: Acura RSX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
There was also a time with no seat belts and air bags. By your logic please remove those from your car. Why make your car less safe?
Let's remove ABS while at it
exmayol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #35
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post

p.s.- I have much better faith in the 86 in a skid than the red pontoon boat
Looks like he gave it too much gas on the pass and the rear stepped out...which wouldn't be a problem if he had corrected. That's what sent him into the wall. Can't see the driver yank on the wheel in the video as the C-pillar of that car blocks the view, but that's my guess.

Last edited by OrbitalEllipses; 03-08-2013 at 01:26 AM.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #36
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Nannies have their place, but they are not always helpful.

Improved driver competence and confidence is always good.

OP, this is a great learning opportunity. Thanks for sharing.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:03 AM   #37
go2brz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited in DGM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The Ferrarri spun out and crashed because he applied too much power. Likely his spin was because he had too little experience in the car and tried to acclelerate when he should not have. I had a car that acted very similar. My 2007 BMW M Coupe (Z3 based hard top coupe) The power was more than the short wheelbase car could handle if you turned off the traction control entirely. So you had to learn where the cutoff point was between handling and power.

This car (the BRZ) only requires you to learn how to snap the car back into control by a couple of easy methods, which is easier than any real factory spec sports car that I have owned in stock form. For me this is car is better than any mid engine layout or RWD factory car that I have dirven. BMW's and Audi's are much heavier, and the Alfa Romeo 4C is a carbon chassis and aluminum body that will be a great sports car, but will cost 75.000 plus dollars. To be able to have such a great handling car at such a low price makes me feel like we have found the bargain of the century..............
go2brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #38
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Looks like he gave it too much gas on the pass and the rear stepped out...which wouldn't be a problem if he had corrected. That's what sent him into the wall. Can't see the driver yank on the wheel in the video as the C-pillar of that car blocks the view, but that's my guess.
Looks like as he added power and pulled left he felt the tail start to go, applied opposite lock and jumped off the gas-- the weight transferred and he didn't take the steering out quick enough and it sent him right into the wall.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:12 AM   #39
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
Looks like as he added power and pulled left he felt the tail start to go, applied opposite lock and jumped off the gas-- the weight transferred and he didn't take the steering out quick enough and it sent him right into the wall.
Originally I thought he overcorrected, but wasn't sure without seeing his hands. Either way, he lifted and the car ended up in a wall. Thanks for your insight.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:18 AM   #40
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Also could the occupants of the lead car be any more stereotypically Italian? My god...
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #41
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing Light-As-A-BRZ. Your story serves as a reminder that:
  1. Sections of road that don't get as much sun can have more ice (same goes for bridges... they're hit by more wind, often conduct more heat, and have less land mass under them to store heat).
  2. It's important to drive at reasonable speeds, be mindful of conditions, be attentive, be prepared, and learn how to handle a vehicle when the unexpected happens.
  3. VSC can be an effective safety feature when something goes awry.
More about VSC and TRAC at http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=476788
Old 03-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #42
Slick

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 6MT
Thanked 1,389 Times in 628 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanGT View Post
I reflexively correct traction problems (years of open track, autocross, and carting). But I agree, there is no reason to have the nannies off unless you are planning on doing something stupid, and you shouldn't be doing something stupid on public roads.

If you haven't had professional "high performance driving" instruction then that should be your first "mod" for your car. Forza and Gran Turismo don't count.
LOL
We had a student sign up for one of our HPDE days last year, and under previous experience was listed "Forza on Xbox".

Needless to day, he was appropriately assigned and more closely monitored that day.
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote