follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2015, 12:22 PM   #1
Crazypinoy9

Drives: FR-S TRD RS1#1488
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Recommendations on a Machine Shop?

Debating on shaving off 2-3mm from the offset of my rims. Anyone know of any good places in 626 area or within proximity?

Also if anyone has any feedback on this I would appreciate it because I've never had to do this to any of my rims in the past. Been doing research and haven't seen anyone with issues as long as they stay within safe range. A little worried about the lug seating but the manufacturer said the max is 3mm.

Thank you in advance!

*BTW the rims are 18x9.5 +34. Trying to stick to my TRD springs for now but might have to get my coilovers sooner than I thought...maybe.
Crazypinoy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
if you shave off from the rims, that'll actually increase your offset and make it even closer to your spring/struts. 18x9.5 +34 should clear spring/strut setups, depending on tire size. is there a reason you want to make it closer?
Old 03-20-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
Crazypinoy9

ya I know it'll bring it closer to the spring/strut and going to +36 or +37 shouldn't be a problem. I'm mainly doing it because of the fronts. it's gonna be much more poke than i want. especially if i wanna run a 245/40 tire. Originally I was thinking of only doing it to two rims for the fronts but i figured i might as well just do it to all four if i end up going through with it.

*Also, i don't wanna have to adjust the camber too much negatively just to be able to fit it.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
This doesn't sound like it's going to fit on the front OEM shock even with a little of the offset shaved off (it's that 9.5 is going to bring the tire sidewall to close to the front spring perch, it'll rub).

If you really want to do this with your current wheels, you might have to go with a narrower tire (225-235) and stretch or even shave a bit off the OEM spring perch (this is just as dicey as having a machine shop shave some off the back pad of the wheel).

Really though, my advice would be to save a little longer for decent low cost coil (like the new Tein Flex Z or Flex A, or ST Coilovers (made by KW)) and then that 9.5 will clear with no problems on 245s or even 265s. Cost here will be about $700-800 but you'll be a lot safer and the car might actually even be marginally quicker (you'll also be able to adjust your ride height).
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
8R6 (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 05:57 PM   #5
Crazypinoy9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
This doesn't sound like it's going to fit on the front OEM shock even with a little of the offset shaved off (it's that 9.5 is going to bring the tire sidewall to close to the front spring perch, it'll rub).

If you really want to do this with your current wheels, you might have to go with a narrower tire (225-235) and stretch or even shave a bit off the OEM spring perch (this is just as dicey as having a machine shop shave some off the back pad of the wheel).

Really though, my advice would be to save a little longer for decent low cost coil (like the new Tein Flex Z or Flex A, or ST Coilovers (made by KW)) and then that 9.5 will clear with no problems on 245s or even 265s. Cost here will be about $700-800 but you'll be a lot safer and the car might actually even be marginally quicker (you'll also be able to adjust your ride height).
Not exactly sure where you're getting that info from but there are plenty of people on here that are running 9.5 +38 with 245/40 tires with little to no problems. I'm not saying you're completely wrong but there are definitely people on here with no problems with offset higher than what i'm looking to do.

As I stated in my first post, coilovers are in my future but i just don't wanna buy them right now. I plan on getting the ST's. Not a money issue.

No way will I put on 225. 235 is the absolute lowest I will go but i'm only gonna go that route as a last resort. Not because 225 can't be done. but because I absolutely hate the stretch on a 9.5 rim. So even putting on 235 is pushing my acceptable limits.

Even with coilovers, fitting the rims with it's current offset will cause rubbing on to the fender and lining so 265 won't work. This guy did 255 and he had to switch to 235:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ighlight=forme

Ideally I want 245. I appreciate the help from you though
Old 03-20-2015, 07:05 PM   #6
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazypinoy9 View Post
Not exactly sure where you're getting that info from but there are plenty of people on here that are running 9.5 +38 with 245/40 tires with little to no problems. I'm not saying you're completely wrong but there are definitely people on here with no problems with offset higher than what i'm looking to do.

As I stated in my first post, coilovers are in my future but i just don't wanna buy them right now. I plan on getting the ST's. Not a money issue.

No way will I put on 225. 235 is the absolute lowest I will go but i'm only gonna go that route as a last resort. Not because 225 can't be done. but because I absolutely hate the stretch on a 9.5 rim. So even putting on 235 is pushing my acceptable limits.

Even with coilovers, fitting the rims with it's current offset will cause rubbing on to the fender and lining so 265 won't work. This guy did 255 and he had to switch to 235:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ighlight=forme

Ideally I want 245. I appreciate the help from you though
People certainly are running wheels that wide, but mostly on aftermarket coilovers. This is generally due to inside (shock) clearance issues and not outside (fender) clearance issues. Wider wheels move the tire sidewall closer to the OEM shock spring perch as well as the inside fender liners.

Here is @djdnz running 18x9 et42 with 245/35/18 Continental DWs on the stock suspension, LATER he changed to coilovers. Even though it "fits", does this look safe to you?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39679

Here is @Mattandrews running 17x9et42s with 255 wide Hankook RS3s. The setup "fits", but under heavy load it rubbed on both the outer fender and the inner fender liner. https://fecompetition.wordpress.com/2012/08/

So yeah, you may be able to make this fit, but know you're going to end up with incredibly tight inside clearance (5mm or less between the tire and shock). I would have very little confidence that in hard cornering, sidewall flex and geometry changes wouldn't cause a rub. Not recommended, but if that's what you need, hey knock your socks off.

Side note:
In the link you provided, the OP states "ST Coilovers (lowered all the way up front 13 turns up in the rear. -1.7/-1.9* camber in front -2.7/-2.9* camber in rear)". http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...41&postcount=1

In the same thread there is an owner running 18x9.5 et34 on Swift springs (on stock shocks), he had to run 225" wide tires to fit it, and this is how he describes the fit "Front poke is pretty narley but I have zero rubbing issues. Definitely need camber bolts or coilovers to get the fronts to look good".

Best of luck
Old 03-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #7
Crazypinoy9

Quote:
People certainly are running wheels that wide, but mostly on aftermarket coilovers. This is generally due to inside (shock) clearance issues and not outside (fender) clearance issues. Wider wheels move the tire sidewall closer to the OEM shock spring perch as well as the inside fender liners.

Here is @djdnz running 18x9 et42 with 245/35/18 Continental DWs on the stock suspension, LATER he changed to coilovers. Even though it "fits", does this look safe to you?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39679

Here is @Mattandrews running 17x9et42s with 255 wide Hankook RS3s. The setup "fits", but under heavy load it rubbed on both the outer fender and the inner fender liner. https://fecompetition.wordpress.com/2012/08/

So yeah, you may be able to make this fit, but know you're going to end up with incredibly tight inside clearance (5mm or less between the tire and shock). I would have very little confidence that in hard cornering, sidewall flex and geometry changes wouldn't cause a rub. Not recommended, but if that's what you need, hey knock your socks off.

Side note:
In the link you provided, the OP states "ST Coilovers (lowered all the way up front 13 turns up in the rear. -1.7/-1.9* camber in front -2.7/-2.9* camber in rear)". http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...41&postcount=1

In the same thread there is an owner running 18x9.5 et34 on Swift springs (on stock shocks), he had to run 225" wide tires to fit it, and this is how he describes the fit "Front poke is pretty narley but I have zero rubbing issues. Definitely need camber bolts or coilovers to get the fronts to look good".

Best of luck
Well, while I definitely understand what you're saying, here's the big difference: The examples you're providing have a +42 offset and that's a pretty huge difference compared to the max +37 offset I'm looking to get to. So my wheels and tires would be much further out from the suspension compared to their setups. I'm gonna be +6 further out than they each are.

And the users in the thread I linked you to aren't having rubbing issues with the shock (which is the main topic of your concern), they're having rubbing issues with the fender and lining. THAT is why the first poster had to adjust to more negative camber with narrower wheels and that's also why the second user stated that he needs to switch to coilovers. Not because his tires or rim are having clearance issues with the shock perch or spring, but because it's poking too far out past the fender and lowering the car further with coilovers will give him enough negative camber to avoid it.

Again, I very much appreciate your help but your examples are much different than my setup in terms of offset.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:46 PM   #8
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Well, while I definitely understand what you're saying, here's the big difference: The examples you're providing have a +42 offset and that's a pretty huge difference compared to the max +37 offset I'm looking to get to. So my wheels and tires would be much further out from the suspension compared to their setups. I'm gonna be +6 further out than they each are.

And the users in the thread I linked you to aren't having rubbing issues with the shock (which is the main topic of your concern), they're having rubbing issues with the fender and lining. THAT is why the first poster had to adjust to more negative camber with narrower wheels and that's also why the second user stated that he needs to switch to coilovers. Not because his tires or rim are having clearance issues with the shock perch or spring, but because it's poking too far out past the fender and lowering the car further with coilovers will give him enough negative camber to avoid it.

Again, I very much appreciate your help but your examples are much different than my setup in terms of offset.

umm, the difference between et 37 and 42 is 5mm, that's exactly the example I gave you. Additionally the examples above were 9" wide wheels, yours are 1/2" (12mm) wider. Try to imagine what all this means and good luck at the machine shop.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Crazypinoy9 (03-21-2015), swarb (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 03:51 AM   #9
Crazypinoy9

Quote:
umm, the difference between et 37 and 42 is 5mm, that's exactly the example I gave you. Additionally the examples above were 9" wide wheels, yours are 1/2" (12mm) wider. Try to imagine what all this means and good luck at the machine shop.
Well, I'm definitely man enough to admit when I'm wrong because it definitely seems like I've dropped the ball in my understanding of the concept. So I'll take your advice into consideration before doing anything
The Following User Says Thank You to Crazypinoy9 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
Decimus
BAE

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Debating on shaving off 2-3mm from the offset of my rims. Anyone know of any good places in 626 area or within proximity?

Also if anyone has any feedback on this I would appreciate it because I've never had to do this to any of my rims in the past. Been doing research and haven't seen anyone with issues as long as they stay within safe range. A little worried about the lug seating but the manufacturer said the max is 3mm.

Thank you in advance!

*BTW the rims are 18x9.5 +34. Trying to stick to my TRD springs for now but might have to get my coilovers sooner than I thought...maybe.
I ran -2 degrees of camber to fit my wheels with Exactly the same spec. Although I have coils, I don't think it sticks out too far. Let me know if you wanna see how -2* camber looks before you machine the wheels. Maybe I can save you time & money.
Decimus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decimus For This Useful Post:
Crazypinoy9 (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #11
Crazypinoy9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
I ran -2 degrees of camber to fit my wheels with Exactly the same spec. Although I have coils, I don't think it sticks out too far. Let me know if you wanna see how -2* camber looks before you machine the wheels. Maybe I can save you time & money.
I actually went ahead and mounted the wheels this morning as is. It's not TOO bad but will definitely need coilovers to get some negative camber because of the poke. But so far on my TRD springs I have no rubbing issues at all so I'll be fine...for now

Here are some pics I posted in a different thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=30

*And yes, if you can show some pics of yours I'd appreciate it so that I can get an idea of what mine should look like more or less with the coilovers. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Crazypinoy9 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #12
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
I actually went ahead and mounted the wheels this morning as is. It's not TOO bad but will definitely need coilovers to get some negative camber because of the poke. But so far on my TRD springs I have no rubbing issues at all so I'll be fine...for now

Here are some pics I posted in a different thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=30

*And yes, if you can show some pics of yours I'd appreciate it so that I can get an idea of what mine should look like more or less with the coilovers. Thanks!
Good job not shaving the your wheel back pads. That + going with narrower tires than your originally preferred (235/40/18s instead of the 245s) did the trick. Good choice as this probably saved you the precious mm's of space needed here.

You've got a fair amount of poke. Camber bolts will help, but the ST coils you're thinking about getting later will definitely seal the deal and also make you safer on the inside too.

Nice Series 1 btw.

Last edited by DAEMANO; 03-21-2015 at 08:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Crazypinoy9 (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #13
Crazypinoy9

Quote:
Good job not shaving the your wheel back pads. That + going with narrower tires than your originally preferred (235/40/18s instead of the 245s) did the trick. Good choice as this probably saved you the precious mm's of space needed here.

You've got a fair amount of poke. Camber bolts will help, but the ST coils you're thinking about getting later will definitely seal the deal and also make you safer on the inside too.

Nice Series 1 btw.
Thank you for your help! I hope I didn't seem at all argumentative haha

I'm gonna stick to with TRD springs for now since I'm not having any rubbing issues. Getting the front lower will be great but there's no real need yet.