follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-18-2015, 03:10 AM   #15
e-d.

Drives: Scion FR-S 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Windshield-Dashboard-One-Retail-Packaging-Black/dp/B007FHX9OK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1426662577&sr=8-3&keywords=iphone+iottie+mount"]Amazon.com: Car Mount, iOttie Easy One Touch Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6 (4.7)/ 5s/ 5c/4s, Galaxy S4/S3//S2. HTC One-Retail Packaging-Black: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

i use this with the iphone 5 and 6
e-d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #16
Bhim

Drives: 2014 FRS Monogram Halo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'll send you pics tonight but I use a Logitech Trip. It's a magnetic mount and no issues with it falling off or loosing its grip.
Bhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:21 AM   #17
Agent 86

Drives: 2017 Cayman S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I made my own mounting bracket out of 18 ga aluminum bent up with a Harbor Freight seamer.

It mounts to the bolt that holds the head unit in and slips out between the head unit and the trim.

I used the quick release cradle from an iOttie mount to hold the phone.

I have a short cable to plug it into the USB outlet in the center console. (I actually have black one now that replaced that stupid white cable.)

I have yet to see a commercial bracket that's as good as what I have. Sometimes if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.
Nice work! Did you have to alter the trim around the head unit to fit the bracket? Oh, and thanks for referencing the Harbor Freight tool you used. I can use that
tool for an upcoming project. Heading to HF today.

2014 BRZ Limited - 2013 VW Golf R - 2010 Forester XT - 2006 Mazda 3 GT
Agent 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #18
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhim View Post
I'll send you pics tonight but I use a Logitech Trip. It's a magnetic mount and no issues with it falling off or loosing its grip.
I generally dislike vent-mounted cell phone holders, but that Logitech mount would be cool for use in rental vehicles during travel.

For that purpose I usually use a Bondi, but sometimes I can't find a good spot to hang the phone, depending on what model car I rent. That clip-on magnetic mount might be a good alternative.

For regular use in the BRZ, I would rather have something permanent that isn't blocking the vents or any controls and doesn't have a three foot snake attached to it.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I am old school!

akahenry (04-28-2015), calmtigers (03-19-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #20
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Scosche Magic Mount. "Permanent" mount to the right of the radio, plate on the back of my phone (well, actually in between my phone and its TPU case). Also have a suction cup version that I use for when I travel and to mount my OFT when I datalog. I have a charging cable routed from the glovebox where I have a dual-port 4.2A Scosche car charger...One port cabled up for my LG G3 and the other cabled up for my girlfriend's iPhone.

http://www.scosche.com/magic-mount-c...r-tablet-mount

http://www.scosche.com/chargers/usb-...rger-dual-port

BabaYaga (11-01-2016)
Old 03-18-2015, 10:20 AM   #21
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
Did you have to alter the trim around the head unit to fit the bracket?
No, but that's why there's a tiny turn in it to get around the edge of the head unit. You have to make absolutely sure that the metal sits flush against the side of the head unit before the bezel goes back on, or it won't fit. It's tight.

If you're planning to try this yourself, here are a few more notes:

As long as you're at Harbor Freight, pick up a set of plastic trim tools. They will keep you from marring your dash, and you can slip the corner of one of them under the bezel on the driver's side to get the trim to come up.

The aluminum sheet came from Home Depot. I think it was 18 ga, but it may have been 22 ga. To be honest I can't remember and don't know the gauges by sight. HD also had a three-pack of right, left and center tin snips for $11 that worked fine to cut it.

I cut a long strip first in the width (height) I wanted, bent the end 90 degrees and drilled a hole so that I could mount it in place to mark the tiny bend with a Sharpie. Getting that tiny bend right was the most critical and most difficult part of the project.

Once I had the bend, I test fit it again and used a level to mark a vertical line on the metal as a reference point for the front bend (because the slope of the dash makes it difficult to estimate). Once I had the vertical line for reference, I made another line at a backward angle, because you want your last bend to make the mount tilt back a little bit so that the phone is facing your head and not your chest. Once I had that last bend, I cut it to the right size for the cradle and dressed the edges with a grinding stone on a Dremel.

You will notice that the bracket has a big hole in it. That's because, once it's bent in the way, you can't reach the bolt! Imagine my irritation when I realized I couldn't actually mount it. I cut that hole so I could fit a socket on an extension through there.

As you can see from the pic of the bracket, paint does not want to stick to aluminum. I used self-etching primer and flat black Rustoleum. At some point I might pull it off there and try again.

I used "industrial-strength" velcro to attach the iOttie cradle. I would prefer to mount it a little more securely, but I had to be able to remove the cradle to get to my socket hole if I ever want to remove it. If you come up with a good alternative, please post!

Here are links to the less-common tools I used:

Harbor Freight seamer

HF trim tools

Tin snips (were $11 when I bought them)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Windshield-Dashboard-One-Retail-Packaging-Black/dp/B007FHX9OK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1426687749&sr=8-2"]iOttie One Touch[/ame] - the cradle I used. The unused suction mount is sitting on my desk, waiting for me to repurpose it for something else.

By the time it was all over, I had more money in the project than I would have spent on a commercial mount. But no commercial mounts put the phone where I wanted it, so it was 100% worth it. Plus I now have a few more tools in my tool box that I needed anyway.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
BabaYaga (11-01-2016)
Old 03-18-2015, 11:02 AM   #22
Agent 86

Drives: 2017 Cayman S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
No, but that's why there's a tiny turn in it to get around the edge of the head unit. You have to make absolutely sure that the metal sits flush against the side of the head unit before the bezel goes back on, or it won't fit. It's tight.

If you're planning to try this yourself, here are a few more notes:

As long as you're at Harbor Freight, pick up a set of plastic trim tools. They will keep you from marring your dash, and you can slip the corner of one of them under the bezel on the driver's side to get the trim to come up.

The aluminum sheet came from Home Depot. I think it was 18 ga, but it may have been 22 ga. To be honest I can't remember and don't know the gauges by sight. HD also had a three-pack of right, left and center tin snips for $11 that worked fine to cut it.

I cut a long strip first in the width (height) I wanted, bent the end 90 degrees and drilled a hole so that I could mount it in place to mark the tiny bend with a Sharpie. Getting that tiny bend right was the most critical and most difficult part of the project.

Once I had the bend, I test fit it again and used a level to mark a vertical line on the metal as a reference point for the front bend (because the slope of the dash makes it difficult to estimate). Once I had the vertical line for reference, I made another line at a backward angle, because you want your last bend to make the mount tilt back a little bit so that the phone is facing your head and not your chest. Once I had that last bend, I cut it to the right size for the cradle and dressed the edges with a grinding stone on a Dremel.

You will notice that the bracket has a big hole in it. That's because, once it's bent in the way, you can't reach the bolt! Imagine my irritation when I realized I couldn't actually mount it. I cut that hole so I could fit a socket on an extension through there.

As you can see from the pic of the bracket, paint does not want to stick to aluminum. I used self-etching primer and flat black Rustoleum. At some point I might pull it off there and try again.

I used "industrial-strength" velcro to attach the iOttie cradle. I would prefer to mount it a little more securely, but I had to be able to remove the cradle to get to my socket hole if I ever want to remove it. If you come up with a good alternative, please post!

Here are links to the less-common tools I used:

Harbor Freight seamer

HF trim tools

Tin snips (were $11 when I bought them)

iOttie One Touch - the cradle I used. The unused suction mount is sitting on my desk, waiting for me to repurpose it for something else.

By the time it was all over, I had more money in the project than I would have spent on a commercial mount. But no commercial mounts put the phone where I wanted it, so it was 100% worth it. Plus I now have a few more tools in my tool box that I needed anyway.
Thanks for all the useful data points. Actually, I have this mount http://wwv.crutchfield.com/p_142MAGD...6730505&awdv=c and I'm creating a bracket to mount it on so that I can get the angle I want. I like this mount because it small, inconspicuous, and holds my phone very securely. I can't get the angle I want using it, so I'm fabricating a very small bracket that extends from the bottom of the passenger side dash panel very near the radio bezel. I think it will work.

I'm using the HF tool you referenced for another project.

Yes, I do have the trim removal tools.
2014 BRZ Limited - 2013 VW Golf R - 2010 Forester XT - 2006 Mazda 3 GT
Agent 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #23
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
I use the Beatsonic mount and really like it. Can get different attachments for different size devices if you want to swap between phone and tablet.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44806

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:44 PM   #24
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I got a really neat phone mount that clips in the CD slot. Then the phone attaches via a magnet. I use the power port in the glove box to charge the phone. I use my phone for GPS navigation so this mount really works nice for that.
Attached Images

Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:31 PM   #25
MikeyBatz

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0066BWMNU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: Ram Mount Twist Lock Suction Cup Mount with Universal X-Grip Cell/iPhone Holder - Non-Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

Pricey, but the best mount I ever owned.
MikeyBatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:50 PM   #26
Cooperdh
Hot Lava Lover

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S- lava
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubious View Post
I was working on a guys car who had one of these

I was impressed with the functionality. Its called Ram mount x grip, you are on your own finding the best price and proper size as I don't own one.

Anyways, it puts your phone just to the right of the radio, is fully adjustable, grips your phone quite well and feels sturdy/stays where you put it. It doesn't mount to the dash, it bolts to the passenger seat rail.
I have this and really like it. I use the mount as it is interchangeable on my motorcycle. Ram is an awesome company that makes the sturdiest products with the best quality. They stand by all their products as well.
Cooperdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:59 AM   #27
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Doesn't get better than this. These are terrific.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:22 AM   #28
xuimod

Drives: 2007 MX-5 Miata, 2015 VW Golf GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Doesn't get better than this. These are terrific.
Not a huge fan of suction cup mounts because they all come off on their own eventually. That could be days or weeks or months but it will come off on its own.
xuimod is offline   Reply With Quote