follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #617
firekat

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just a quick review on my installation - 2018 BRZ tS

Just finished up the Flex Fuel installation on top of the Harrop install today.

I am surprised how smooth running the car is on E85. it smoothed out with the SC installation a bit, with the Flex Fuel it runs very smooth.

Most notably these two installations have effectively lowered the time/mileage interval on tire rotation!

Driving this car on E85 certainly brings new meaning to the expression “driving under the influence of alcohol”.

There might be a form of alcohol addiction in the future - though not the type you drink.

Neal at the The Racer's Line has done installs on both the Edelbrock and the Harrop. He says the Edelbrock is about 60# additional and the Harrop about 40#. He says that when lowering the intake/blower assembly onto the engine the Edelbrock requires two people, the Harrop he does by himself.

If there is a change in how the car sits with the SC installed it is not that noticeable, maybe no more than 5 mm.

The installation of the SC does change the dynamics of the handling. You can detect the weight increase. The tS is a bit of a firmer ride to begin with, the ride in the front with the SC installation is definitely firmer. Changing driving technique slightly easily works around most of the issue.

The increase in power/torque and generally the character of the car from the installation of the SC is definitely worth it, in spite of some the shortcomings.

The E85 puts it over the top, even on my car with the 95 mm pulley and stock exhaust.

For people that don't want to put the kind of jack that it takes for a FI installation, and/or don't want the weight increase, IMHO, I would say that there would be notable gains from just going with E85 and a proper tune. Of course any E85 project is based solely on availability. I was just lucky to find that there is a station in close proximity to where I live.

I will be working on weight reduction later.
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firekat For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (09-06-2018), TofuJoe (09-07-2018), weederr33 (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 01:45 AM   #618
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Would you all suggest other suspension upgrades for the extra power and weight? Like it was suggested to increase the front stiffness of the springs/coilovers, but what about doing a bigger sway bar. I have been considering that because the rear is unruly now, even with 265's in the rear on sticky tires.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #619
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Meaning the front needs a plate or no?
No, I am just reporting what the final F:R distribution looks like on my car with harrop.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #620
firekat

Quote:
Would you all suggest other suspension upgrades for the extra power and weight? Like it was suggested to increase the front stiffness of the springs/coilovers, but what about doing a bigger sway bar. I have been considering that because the rear is unruly now, even with 265's in the rear on sticky tires.
Like most things, drive it and or use it for a while before doing more radical changes, or more gross expenditure of funds. You could find that just getting used to it and adapting to the changes would keep you from adding additional weight, and/or complications.

For me, I will work on weight reduction before I go with suspension mods. I have a tS, so the suspension is already firmer.

One can get addicted to pouring money into this car, but to what end? Is the incremental improvements worth the cost? Would major suspension mods give you what you need? Will you have more fun working on the car, or driving it?

I have to remember that as much money I throw at this car, it's not going to ever be a McLaren.

All this is just food for thought. After all, "YMMV"!
The Following User Says Thank You to firekat For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 10:10 PM   #621
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat View Post
Would major suspension mods give you what you need? Will you have more fun working on the car, or driving it?
Actually I’m the type that not only believes in built over bought, but I like turning the wrenches and having projects.

I think in the long run I want to upgrade my lowering springs to coilovers and also do a front sway bar. Going lighter would be nice, but I don’t want faster revving mods at this time like LEFW or LWDS. The best thing I can do to remove weight off the front is removing the injector covers, going with headers, AC delete, crash beam removal, windshield washer fluid delete, etc, but none of that is an option right now.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:29 AM   #622
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Actually I’m the type that not only believes in built over bought, but I like turning the wrenches and having projects.

I think in the long run I want to upgrade my lowering springs to coilovers and also do a front sway bar. Going lighter would be nice, but I don’t want faster revving mods at this time like LEFW or LWDS. The best thing I can do to remove weight off the front is removing the injector covers, going with headers, AC delete, crash beam removal, windshield washer fluid delete, etc, but none of that is an option right now.
As someone who has been tracking the **** out of this car for 6 years straight, don't bother with sway bars. Just get a high quality coilover system. This will take care of any unwanted behavior. Sway bars are bandaids.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #623
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
As someone who has been tracking the **** out of this car for 6 years straight, don't bother with sway bars. Just get a high quality coilover system. This will take care of any unwanted behavior. Sway bars are bandaids.
I have Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs, so a sway bar is a $150-200 bandaid, instead of spending 10x that price for something that might not be much better. At least, that is what a lot of people say, that $1500-$2000+ is the minimum, or it isn't worth going with coilovers, especially if all I want is a 1'' drop.

Ideally I would like magnetic suspension where I could run it soft on the street and flip a button to have it tighten up for canyons and track days.

The other ideal would be to have a traction control and VSC settings that are adjustable, instead of just on and off. Even with 265's and sticky tires, I am losing traction with aggressive driving. The traction control light is getting annoying, but I'm not about to remove all the nannies for my aggressive street driving. If a sway bar helps with control then it would be a cheap, at minimal, temporary solution.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #624
firekat

Quote:

What coilovers are you considering? Will there be any increase in weight with the installation of coilovers?
Old 09-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #625
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat View Post
What coilovers are you considering? Will there be any increase in weight with the installation of coilovers?
I'm sure coilovers are lighter than springs and struts, but I could be wrong. When I get them, unless I find a sweet deal on a used set, I'll probably drop some coin and get something decent like I mentioned above. No point in getting some $750 coilovers for just a 1'' drop and expect them to perform better than stock.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:19 AM   #626
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm sure coilovers are lighter than springs and struts, but I could be wrong. When I get them, unless I find a sweet deal on a used set, I'll probably drop some coin and get something decent like I mentioned above. No point in getting some $750 coilovers for just a 1'' drop and expect them to perform better than stock.
Have you considered the MCA traction mod? I had that on my car with 245's and I definitely never referred to the rear end as "unruly". Sure I could break it loose whenever I really wanted, but at the same time - I had no issues driving aggressively even in the Oregon rain.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #627
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
Have you considered the MCA traction mod? I had that on my car with 245's and I definitely never referred to the rear end as "unruly". Sure I could break it loose whenever I really wanted, but at the same time - I had no issues driving aggressively even in the Oregon rain.
The unruly part isn't it sliding all over the road, just to be clear, although it really isn't hard to make that happen in 1st or 2nd; it is just the annoyance of having the traction control coming on all the time I seriously get on the accelerator. It could be just the pot holes causing problems, or perhaps something like you mentioned with the geometry. I have slight camber from the lowering springs, especially on the rear, so the MCA mod could be good to make sure I'm not getting more camber on squat. Is it better than rear lower control arms for that reason? Was the ride harder because there is less rear compression on the shocks?
Old 09-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #628
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The unruly part isn't it sliding all over the road, just to be clear, although it really isn't hard to make that happen in 1st or 2nd; it is just the annoyance of having the traction control coming on all the time I seriously get on the accelerator. It could be just the pot holes causing problems, or perhaps something like you mentioned with the geometry. I have slight camber from the lowering springs, especially on the rear, so the MCA mod could be good to make sure I'm not getting more camber on squat. Is it better than rear lower control arms for that reason? Was the ride harder because there is less rear compression on the shocks?
On my '17, I always found the rear suspension too soft - the MCA mod didn't make a difference for me in that regard.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johan For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 05:33 PM   #629
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Harrop TVS86 Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
On my '17, I always found the rear suspension too soft - the MCA mod didn't make a difference for me in that regard.

Making it stiffer will just make it even harder to put power down though. IMO if you're struggling to put power down now, keep it soft and keep the traction brackets, get stickier tires.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:18 PM   #630
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Making it stiffer will just make it even harder to put power down though. IMO if you're struggling to put power down now, keep it soft and keep the traction brackets, get stickier tires.
I have the BF Goodrich Gforce sport comp 2's on the car. 265 rear, 235 front. Not the greatest tire money can buy, but should be decent for 250-275whp.

I'll probably just alter the driving style for a while and see what I can do. I'll consider those MCA mounts, but I'll probably wait for when I do coilovers then see if it needs more like a sway bar up front.