follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-29-2016, 10:30 PM   #1
LenA

Drives: 2015 Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bushings for DD

I've read a lot about bushing replacements to improve shifting and handling. I am most interested in rear shifter bushing, the Whiteline positive shift and maybe Whiteline rear subframe.

Will any of these really have any noticable effect on street or are they really only noticable on track or at 9 tenths on street, which is rarely achievable.

I DD my BRZ in LA, so can't do much about torque dip legally outside of FI, so improving feel and responsiveness throught weight reduction and bushings etc are only good options.

Thanks

Len
LenA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
BRZHarley

Drives: 69 Firebird, 2015 BRZ
Len

I think the Whiteline were the first bushings I change in my and what difference!

I personally don't see a need for tranny/shift bushing, the next ones I would consider the front sway bar bushings.

Good luck , Ed
BRZHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:04 PM   #3
NissanGuy

Drives: Strangely.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The rear subframe bushing is very subtle and causes some understeer; The differential insert bushing is simply mandatory, makes the car smoother and therefore faster.

I did the Perrin transmission mount insert (similar to Whiteline Positive Shift) and it makes the car easier to shift, and a bit noisier. Worth it.

The rear shifter bushing does one thing, and one thing only: Makes the gears grind worse.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:06 PM   #4
LenA

Which Whitelines did you install other than rear subframe and sways?
Old 06-29-2016, 11:24 PM   #5
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Bushings for DD

Get STI everything.... You won't get better DD setup then that. LA road isn't really hardcore bushing friendly

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84332

Its gonna cost more but STI bushings/group N bushing on everything will net you the best result for DD.

Improves everything & just moderate amount of nvh cuz oem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by chaoskaze; 06-30-2016 at 01:19 AM.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:51 PM   #6
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
a lot of people say that the rear diff bushing inserts caused the most NVH but it doesn't bother me. I even have Cusco engine mounts and at first, they seemed harsh, but I barely notice it now. my BRZ is my DD and I have all of the drivetrain bushings/inserts (engine mount, transmission bushing, shifter bushing, rear diff inserts, and rear subframe inserts).

though if you want improved shifter feel, I highly recommend a short shifter, transmission bushing, shifter bushing, and MTEC springs. you will hear the whine of the transmission though, but I actually like that sound (sounds a lot like a supercharger lol). short shifter and the MTEC springs will give you a dramatically increased shifting feel while the bushings just add on to that but will increase NVH. I didn't buy the BRZ to be a luxury or comfort car so I could care less if there is more NVH
Old 06-30-2016, 12:54 AM   #7
choiboie

Drives: 2013 Fr-S UltraMarine
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
a lot of people say that the rear diff bushing inserts caused the most NVH but it doesn't bother me. I even have Cusco engine mounts and at first, they seemed harsh, but I barely notice it now. my BRZ is my DD and I have all of the drivetrain bushings/inserts (engine mount, transmission bushing, shifter bushing, rear diff inserts, and rear subframe inserts).

though if you want improved shifter feel, I highly recommend a short shifter, transmission bushing, shifter bushing, and MTEC springs. you will hear the whine of the transmission though, but I actually like that sound (sounds a lot like a supercharger lol). short shifter and the MTEC springs will give you a dramatically increased shifting feel while the bushings just add on to that but will increase NVH. I didn't buy the BRZ to be a luxury or comfort car so I could care less if there is more NVH
Im going to finish up on the bushings and add some braces as well. I bet your ride drives very nice

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
choiboie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:03 AM   #8
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Rear shifter bushing - Do it, get the Kartboy one. Works well, no NVH and shiffens up the shifter throws nicely.

Transmission "Insert" Bushing - DON'T do it, I ran one for over a year and the stock trans mount actually failed. Buy the STI BRZ Trans mount instead! Accomplishes the same thing with ZERO NVH and far more reliability.

Rear Subframe bushing - These add a little NVH as first but you stop noticing it within a week. Rear end is slightly more responsive, but these are cheap and easy to install so might as well.

Rear Diff bushing - DON'T do this if you care about NVH! I had these in for one week and couldn't stand it, had to remove them immediately. Causes a lot of harsh vibrations from the rear of the car, even felt like the diff would get out of position at times and cause some strange feelings in the car... This is something I would save for a serious track day car.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:27 AM   #9
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Rear upper control arm bushings have the biggest impact imo. Huge improvement in the rear of the car being planted. But they also have made the ride much harsher if that matters to you.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #10
LenA

Thanks all for suggestions/feedback.

Len
The Following User Says Thank You to LenA For This Useful Post:
BRZHarley (07-02-2016)