follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 05-31-2017, 08:01 PM   #4005
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
After having JRSC for 4-5 days gathered this much oil. I think PCV catch can is needed with JRSC.
Attached Images

mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:12 PM   #4006
axelthrasher

Drives: BRZ, 2 WRXs, 818S, motorcycles, etc
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
Has anyone had issues with the bypass valve. After only a bit over a year (dozen+ track days), mine started leaking (not fully closing) and looks like it is melted/disintegrated with bits stuck in the valve. Surely these are designed to withstand the intake charge temps!?
Not sure why that happened to you (haven't seen that before)... mine held up just fine. Do you track-use the car? I replaced mine with a Forge metal BPV anyway... I still don't think yours should have melted though, contact Jackson.
axelthrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #4007
milhouse
Because Racecar

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
My JRSC 38 is being delivered this week, and I purchased the CARB tune because I still have the OEM header (and have no plans to change), and I thought you only needed the custom tune if you changed headers. I was re-reading this thread to make sure I have everything set and saw that the factory CARB tune also may not be suitable with a non-OEM front pipe.

I have (1) a 3.0" Catted Perrin Front Pipe; (2) Perrin 2.5 Overpipe; and (3) 3.0" Catback Exhaust. So does this mean i will require a custom tune? And based on the above, would I get better reliability with the factory tune & reverting to OEM Front and/or Overpipe, or keeping the existing mods and getting a custom tune?

FWIW, I currently have an off-the-shelf OFT tune and haven't had issues, so I would guess the catted Perrin Front Pipe doesn't affect airflow all that much?

Thanks.

Last edited by milhouse; 06-07-2017 at 01:19 PM.
milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #4008
rns294

Drives: 13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
After having JRSC for 4-5 days gathered this much oil. I think PCV catch can is needed with JRSC.
The oil is on the outside of the block. A catch can will only catch oil that actually passes through it. You have another issue.
rns294 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rns294 For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 05:19 PM   #4009
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rns294 View Post
The oil is on the outside of the block. A catch can will only catch oil that actually passes through it. You have another issue.
Thank you for the comment. I have removed the PCV hose, cleaned up that area and PCV hose, and reinstalled the PCV hose. Even the check valve on the PCV hose was oiled before when I took it off to clean. The end of the PCV hose on the intake manifold side was clean though. Oil came from the the PCV valve on the block most probably. After clean up, there is no additional oil yet. I will wait and see, if there is no oil in the intake manifold side of the PCV hose, I will not install a catch can.

As a follow up to everyone reading the thread, anxiety over my installation is wearing off and as I adapt the new driving style now, I am gaining full confidence on the car (and myself) again. The car is totally transformed (for better), I felt like I had to relearn driving this car again. The supercharged engine is working great so far. The Rotrex unit itself has a very healthy sound and response. I am also very happy with the JRSC factory tune; engine is so smooth at every rpm. Engine is completely docile up to 3000rpm and it unleashes the horses after that. Normal driving mpg is exactly the same as before, of course if you can really resist all temptations.
Thank you Jackson Racing! Thank you 86Speed!
Old 06-08-2017, 08:47 AM   #4010
GenRuleAThumb

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Couldnt wait any longer and had to order a kit. I got the C38 kit with a delicious flash n go tune to go with my JDL UEL. Going to be installing on my own. I am very handy, anything special i should know about, i looked through the instructiins online and it didnt look too difficult, hoping i can spot everying ok. Anyways cant wait to finally join the SC club.
GenRuleAThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:29 AM   #4011
VABeachBRZ

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenRuleAThumb View Post
Couldnt wait any longer and had to order a kit. I got the C38 kit with a delicious flash n go tune to go with my JDL UEL. Going to be installing on my own. I am very handy, anything special i should know about, i looked through the instructiins online and it didnt look too difficult, hoping i can spot everying ok. Anyways cant wait to finally join the SC club.

My suggestion is read the install guide, then read it again. The hardest/most intense part was priming the unit. I was scared I was going to mess it up lol. But in the end, worked perfectly
VABeachBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:24 PM   #4012
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenRuleAThumb View Post
It's pretty straight forward. If you are doing their oil cooler, you gotta fit in the steps with the sc install. Very simple and basic.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:38 PM   #4013
milhouse
Because Racecar

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
It's pretty straight forward. If you are doing their oil cooler, you gotta fit in the steps with the sc install. Very simple and basic.
Any tips on when to fit them in? I assume its best to work them into the intercooler install?
Old 06-08-2017, 08:46 PM   #4014
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
Any tips on when to fit them in? I assume its best to work them into the intercooler install?
It's been almost two years since I did it so I don't recall all the details, but I combined it during install of the supercharger traction fluid cooler. It just made sense to me, as they are mounted end to end of each other.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #4015
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
If I replace the stock PCV valve with the STI version, is the high performance PCV valve that came with JRSC kit still needed? I would appreciate someone who knows can chime in.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:23 PM   #4016
milhouse
Because Racecar

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
If I replace the stock PCV valve with the STI version, is the high performance PCV valve that came with JRSC kit still needed? I would appreciate someone who knows can chime in.
I just did mine but used a boomba pcv valve. I think you can keep the STI and not use the JR.
The Following User Says Thank You to milhouse For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #4017
milhouse
Because Racecar

Garage
So I may be having a minor problem. I am having difficulty connecting the Rotrex cooler hose to the barn. I can't tell how far it needs to be seated in order to seal with the worm clamp. Can anyone tell me if I need to get the hose over #1 in the photo below so that it meets #2 or if it just needs to but against #1?

Thanks.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #4018
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
So I may be having a minor problem. I am having difficulty connecting the Rotrex cooler hose to the barn. I can't tell how far it needs to be seated in order to seal with the worm clamp. Can anyone tell me if I need to get the hose over #1 in the photo below so that it meets #2 or if it just needs to but against #1?

Thanks.

I pushed the hose down to #1 and tightened the worm clamp over the seated area. No leaks with mine.