follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #29
DNAPoPo
GreddyBRZ meets GreddyFRS

Drives: SSM Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
For BRZ owners, does this mean the side markers will only blink now and not remain on all the time?
Irvine FR-S & BRZ Car Meet(FaceBook)
DNAPoPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #30
tranat

Drives: Subaru BRZ SWP Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAPoPo View Post
For BRZ owners, does this mean the side markers will only blink now and not remain on all the time?
I want to know this as well, since this was done on an FRS, would the same apply for brz owners, since the wiring to the front blinkers may be different. From the looks of the video shown, the sidemarkers are on and it also blinks so that's good news for FRS owners.

Any ideas or suggestions for brz owners? This would help a lot.

As for the hyperblinking/flashing you can get an led flasher relay to prevent this. I suggest the TapTurn relay. It works great and it'll also solve the issue with the wigway (back and forth) blinking as well as the hyperblinking/flashing. Also someone mentioned if it would cause any problems if you install led bulbs instead of the stock ones, I think the TapTurn will resolve any issues with led lighting and will make sure the lighting is in sync. Hope this helps.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35688

Last edited by tranat; 11-25-2013 at 05:33 AM.
tranat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #31
boonFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS whiteout
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I'm not sure how it works on the BRZ but the way the sidemarkers work with this mod goes like this:

1. Parking lights on, the side marker will stay on and alternate with the front blinkers.

2. Headlights on, same as #1.

3. All lights off, the side marker will not be on but will blink in sync with the front blinkers.

Last edited by boonFRS; 11-24-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Corrected some info
boonFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boonFRS For This Useful Post:
RFB (01-27-2014), tranat (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #32
tranat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8brz View Post
Mine blink at same time.
Did you have any trouble with the wiring since the write up was on an FRS, but you have a BRZ? Any major differences?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #33
tranat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonFRS View Post
I'm not sure how it works on the BRZ but the way the sidemarkers work with this mod goes like this:

1. Parking lights on, the side marker will stay on and alternate with the front blinkers.

3. All lights off, the side marker will not be on but will blink in sync with the front blinkers.
Interesting. Are you running on the stock Relay Flasher?
Old 12-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #34
Vis101

Drives: 2013 Limited BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I am very interested in the BRZ solution noted above as well
Vis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #35
boonFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS whiteout
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranat View Post
Interesting. Are you running on the stock Relay Flasher?
Yes. Stock.
boonFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #36
Danklvr

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Argento
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Danklvr
there is a much easier way to perform this mod, i just did it 5 minutes ago.
No need to cut both wires from the side marker - black/white right side, black/red left side.
also no need to cut the red (blinker) wire and the green (parking light power) wires from the parking lights.

NOTE -The Below is FR-S Specific, as well I haven't tested this with LED bulbs, only incandescent. LED Bulbs in your blinkers WILL result in Hyperflash unless you have installed an LED safe flasher relay / Tapturn flasher.

I'd recommend using a multimeter or a test light, to verify the wires if you have a BRZ or BRZ Limited. The same would hold true if you have a 10 Series or Monogram, the standard FR-S wiring is what the OP's Guide and my revision are based on.

Here is what i did to achieve the same effect, took 5 min per side..
using the DIY in this post locate the red (blinker signal) wires coming from your parking lights and splice a jumper wire onto it, either by splice connection, solder, tape, wire nuts, whatever your preferred method is... do not cut the green wire or splice anything to it, the green wires are your constant power wires for the parking lights.

next, locate the 2 wires coming from your side markers. i chose to get my wires before the harness going into the sidemarkers, whereas the OP chose to get them inside the sidemarkers themselves, do it my way, its better because you have more room and wire to work with and easier to return to stock...for your referance - right side will be black/white, left side will be black/red.
The black wire on each side is the only wire that needs to be cut, NOT both wires going to the side marker. Again, for reference, the white wire on the right side, red wire on the left side is your constant power to the sidemarker, no need to cut or splice this one, leave it be. Yet i digress.. locate your black wires on each side of the sidemarkers, and cut the black wires. Take your jumper wire you spliced to the red blinker signal wire from the parking lights, and connect them to the sidemarker side of the black wires you just cut. tape off the remaining black wire ends that are leading to the engine side. if you ever want to reverse this mod, just splice the 2 ends of the black wires back together, and remove the splice connection to your red blinker wires.

test and enjoy if something doesn't work, you either didn't make a good splice connection, or you ran your jumper to the end of the black wires that do not lead to the sidemarkers...

no hyper flash, no warning lights, blown fuses, just like the OP method above this flashes and looks stock, the way the fr-s/brz should have come.

How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm once they've seen Karl Hungus?

Last edited by Danklvr; 01-27-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Danklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Danklvr For This Useful Post:
axelo (09-21-2015), Dadhawk (05-02-2014), Deathalo (01-25-2014), SkAsphalt (04-19-2014), Vis101 (01-26-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #37
Danklvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk View Post
which is exactly the blink circuit? red or green?
RED is the blink circuit

Old 01-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #38
Deathalo

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Limited Manual BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danklvr View Post
No need to cut both wires from the side marker - black/white right side, black/red left side.
also no need to cut the red (blinker) wire and the green (parking light power) wires from the parking lights.

here is what i did to achieve the same effect, took 5 min per side..
using the DIY in this post locate the red (blinker signal) wires coming from your parking lights and splice a jumper wire onto it, either by splice connection, solder, tape, wire nuts, whatever your preffered method is... do not cut the green wire or splice anything to it, the green wires are your constant power wires for the parking lights.

next, locate the 2 wires coming from your side markers. i chose to get my wires before the harness going into the sidemarkers, whereas the OP chose to get them inside the sidemarkers themselves, do it my way, its better and easier to return to stock...for your referance - right side will be black/white, left side will be black/red.
The black wire on each side is the only wire that needs to be cut, NOT both wires going to the side marker. Again, for referance, the white wire on the right side, red wire on the left side is your constant power to the sidemarker, no need to cut or splice this one, leave it be. Yet i digress.. locate your black wires on each side of the sidemarkers, and cut the black wires. Take your jumper wire you spliced to the red blinker signal wire from the parking lights, and connect them to the sidemarker side of the black wires you just cut. tape off the remaining black wire ends that are leading to the engine side. if you ever want to reverse this mod, just splice the 2 ends of the black wires back together, and remove the splice connection to your red blinker wires.

test and enjoy if something doesnt work, you either didnt make a good splice connection, or you ran your jumper to the end of the black wires that do not lead to the sidemarkers...

no hyper flash, no warning lights, blown fuses, just like the OP method above this flashes and looks stock, the way the fr-s/brz should have come.

Wow I was going to do this mod today, but work came up, so postponed till tomorrow. Thanks a bunch for this info, I will definitely do it this way now
Deathalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:49 AM   #39
vincent201089

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

here is what i did to achieve the same effect, took 5 min per side..
using the DIY in this post locate the red (blinker signal) wires coming from your parking lights and splice a jumper wire onto it, either by splice connection, solder, tape, wire nuts, whatever your preffered method is... do not cut the green wire or splice anything to it, the green wires are your constant power wires for the parking lights.

next, locate the 2 wires coming from your side markers. i chose to get my wires before the harness going into the sidemarkers, whereas the OP chose to get them inside the sidemarkers themselves, do it my way, its better and easier to return to stock...for your referance - right side will be black/white, left side will be black/red.
The black wire on each side is the only wire that needs to be cut, NOT both wires going to the side marker. Again, for referance, the white wire on the right side, red wire on the left side is your constant power to the sidemarker, no need to cut or splice this one, leave it be. Yet i digress.. locate your black wires on each side of the sidemarkers, and cut the black wires. Take your jumper wire you spliced to the red blinker signal wire from the parking lights, and connect them to the sidemarker side of the black wires you just cut. tape off the remaining black wire ends that are leading to the engine side. if you ever want to reverse this mod, just splice the 2 ends of the black wires back together, and remove the splice connection to your red blinker wires.

test and enjoy if something doesnt work, you either didnt make a good splice connection, or you ran your jumper to the end of the black wires that do not lead to the sidemarkers...

Ok just wanna make sure I read everything correctly.
-Splice the red wire from the turn signal by using a splice connector
-cut black wire on the side marker
-connect the jumper wire from the red wire to the black that go to the marker
vincent201089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:35 AM   #40
Deathalo

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Limited Manual BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent201089 View Post
That's what I got out of it, although I think I'll be soldering connections.
Deathalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:13 AM   #41
Danklvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent201089 View Post
exactly correct, very easy mod

The Following User Says Thank You to Danklvr For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (04-19-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 02:12 AM   #42
vincent201089

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
exactly correct, very easy mod
Doesn't work with switch back led
-parking light on, only side marker on, white led off
-headlight on, same
-turn signal on, side marker flashes, amber led flashes as well but weird strobe

put my stock bulb on and everything works perfectly

take stock one out because I like the switchback.
vincent201089 is offline   Reply With Quote