follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #1037
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I think it got a little pregnant. This is how new batteries are made now. You should make sure not to put a female battery next to a male battery next time.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #1038
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winjr View Post
Was having problems starting the car, started about a week ago. Finally had to jump it, and this is how I found the starter battery. Any ideas what happened? I've been running the basic 1.0 kit about 2 1/2 years now, this is the original starter battery. Ordered a new one from battery mart, which was delivered just 26 hours after ordering - great service!
The battery is either gassing due to an internal malfunction or the case itself is bulging due to excessive heat cycling. In either case it's a goner. Take it to a recycler. Good thing you ordered a new one. 2.5 yrs ain't bad. Did you replace it with an Odyssey or another Powersonic?
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Winjr (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #1039
Winjr

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
The battery is either gassing due to an internal malfunction or the case itself is bulging due to excessive heat cycling. In either case it's a goner. Take it to a recycler. Good thing you ordered a new one. 2.5 yrs ain't bad. Did you replace it with an Odyssey or another Powersonic?

Another Powersonic. $49, plus about $10 shipping. Installed the new one this morning and I'm back in business.

Probably not excessive heat cycling - I don't actually engage the ESC very often. Maybe once a week. I know - anathema.

Just out of curiosity (and laziness): Does Odyssey make basically the same thing, but exact same dimensions?

Last edited by Winjr; 08-06-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Winjr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winjr For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-07-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #1040
eft86

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen as View Post
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...0hjaEJDSzN0WFU

These may be old. Hope it helps you. You could ask Shiv, contact Openflashtablet. I have found the OpenFlash guys provide poor service.

Thanks very much my friend! I will keep trying to get in touch with the openflash team to see if there are any newer versions. This is great help though, really appreciate it.
eft86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:07 PM   #1041
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Made my own.
haha..nice! but not my style though
want some Audi style like "E. Supercharged" ?

Quote:

Was having problems starting the car, started about a week ago. Finally had to jump it, and this is how I found the starter battery. Any ideas what happened? I've been running the basic 1.0 kit about 2 1/2 years now, this is the original starter battery. Ordered a new one from battery mart, which was delivered just 26 hours after ordering - great service!

holy shit...
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:43 PM   #1042
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Another Powersonic. $49, plus about $10 shipping. Installed the new one this morning and I'm back in business.

Probably not excessive heat cycling - I don't actually engage the ESC very often. Maybe once a week. I know - anathema.

Just out of curiosity (and laziness): Does Odyssey make basically the same thing, but exact same dimensions?
The Odyssey PC680 (and the MJ (metal jacketed) version)) are slightly longer and taller, but the same width as the Powersonic PSH12180.

Powersonic PSH-12180
- Length . 7.13”
- Height. 6.59”
- Width. 3”
- Weight. 14 lbs.(total)

Odyssey PC680
- Length . 7.15”
- Height. 6.65”
- Width. 3”
- Weight. 14.5 lbs.(total)

Copypasta'd from Rob's site
http://www.phantomsuperchargers.com/batteries.html
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Winjr (08-10-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #1043
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

This is exactly why I sold it.
I hardly engaged it. It feels criminal to 100% - mash the throttle. Meanwhile, I am feeling the air restriction during normal driving conditions.
What amazing technology,.. just didn't work for me in this situation.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #1044
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
This is exactly why I sold it.
I hardly engaged it. It feels criminal to 100% - mash the throttle.
Those with the newer Partial Throttle FootSwitch (PTS) and/or PROcede controllers don't have this issue at all.

Quote:
Meanwhile, I am feeling the air restriction during normal driving conditions.
Don't know what you mean here as "drag reduction" tech built into earlier kits ensured "air restriction during normal driving" never happened.

Quote:
What amazing technology,.. just didn't work for me in this situation.
Shame you didn't stick around. Everything you mentioned has been changed and/or upgraded. Still, this is bleeding edge tech. So folks that buy have to fully understand what they're currently getting. In your case, it sounds like it was a ver 1.0 kit which at the time was described as a "Full Throttle Supercharger". Newer kits have since evolved beyond that.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #1045
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Those with the newer Partial Throttle FootSwitch (PTS) and/or PROcede controllers don't have this issue at all.

Don't know what you mean here as "drag reduction" tech built into earlier kits ensured "air restriction during normal driving" never happened.

Shame you didn't stick around. Everything you mentioned has been changed and/or upgraded. Still, this is bleeding edge tech. So folks that buy have to fully understand what they're currently getting. In your case, it sounds like it was a ver 1.0 kit which at the time was described as a "Full Throttle Supercharger". Newer kits have since evolved beyond that.
Honestly theres one kit that keeps being passed on that has been rewired by members that I think is not very good. The batteries are still being used too, I wish it would stop being passed on as it isn't representative of the current system.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:50 PM   #1046
stevo585

Drives: White 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Could be tuning as well. Going from NA tuned with the ESC to tuning that it changed my MAF scaling by 10%. After that was fixed in ecutek I got back the crisp throttle response. People using the OFT might not be so lucky unless they retune.

As most know I have the V1 kit it is weird going full throttle at 3k but you get use to it.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:27 PM   #1047
Winjr

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Honestly theres one kit that keeps being passed on that has been rewired by members that I think is not very good. The batteries are still being used too, I wish it would stop being passed on as it isn't representative of the current system.
I still have my original v. 1 kit and even though I don't use it much, I love having it available when I need it. And then once a month or so I just kick it out on a favorite back road to make sure it's still working. I also don't understand the air restriction issue mentioned - I don't feel it.

Guess I've never upgraded because I'm so satisfied with my current setup. ESC, flex fuel kit and Ecutek tune.
Winjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:03 AM   #1048
stevo585

Drives: White 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I still have my original v. 1 kit and even though I don't use it much, I love having it available when I need it. And then once a month or so I just kick it out on a favorite back road to make sure it's still working. I also don't understand the air restriction issue mentioned - I don't feel it.

Guess I've never upgraded because I'm so satisfied with my current setup. ESC, flex fuel kit and Ecutek tune.
Really? I activate mine all the time. A least a few times a day. Just quick 3-5 second bursts.
zc06_kisstherain (08-15-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 01:51 AM   #1049
eft86

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Hi guys,

I just finished installing my v3 kit. Voltmeter beeps upon starting, stays at 28.4. I checked all the connections and they are all good and I made sure they are as tight as possible. However, thr blower does not engage upon activation of the switch when I depress the throttle. When I am driving and engage full throttle, I can hear the clicks but feel nothing, nor does the volt meter readings change.

I am not sure where to start checking for faults. Upon inspection of the throttle switch all soldering points look solid, it is connected, the big red connectors are very tight, the 3 connections going into the blower have been attached as tightly as I can.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
eft86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:06 AM   #1050
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Recheck your connections and check to see if the foot switch has a good ground. Maybe try it against a good known ground.

Also make sure all the wires are in the correct direction. Take pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote