follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-24-2016, 03:47 PM   #127
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm assuming you had a 57trim and not a gtx turbo with waterlines? Temp issues was oil bychance? Did you have an oil cooler in place?

Because I have a fbm base kit with a gtx3076r upgrade. Forester XT oil cooler heat exchanger mod and factory hood with good old factory subaru 5w30 oil in south Florida, I have zero heat issues. Pcv valve deleted with catch can is highly recommended. Blow by is nuts. Fixed my mystery oil leak.

Whatever you do, take your time and don't cut corners.
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #128
John Rambo

Drives: Turbo BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrMe View Post
I'm assuming you had a 57trim and not a gtx turbo with waterlines? Temp issues was oil bychance? Did you have an oil cooler in place?

Because I have a fbm base kit with a gtx3076r upgrade. Forester XT oil cooler heat exchanger mod and factory hood with good old factory subaru 5w30 oil in south Florida, I have zero heat issues. Pcv valve deleted with catch can is highly recommended. Blow by is nuts. Fixed my mystery oil leak.

Whatever you do, take your time and don't cut corners.
I did have a 57 trim. Actually oil temps were ok until my oil cooler broke my ac condenser and the new bracket that was made was too low so the airflow was cut.

I have seen >220F coolant at 70mph cruising in 90 degree weather. With koyo radiator and mishimoto fans.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:56 PM   #129
John Rambo

I called the salvage parts shop that I bought my 2015 engine from and they said they can either work with me in funding the repair on the motor I have (replacing cam sprocket I believe) or take it back for about 750 less than I bought it for...

I think I want to get it repaired rather than lose more money. I'm not sure who I should have do the repair.
Outfront Motorsports said they can do it for a little less than 800 but I'm worried about another misdiagnosis that ends with me replacing parts for no reason, and for that reason I'm tempted to go with the dealer...

Anyone have any advice here?

When I build a motor for boost it will be out of the blown 2013 one so maybe I can get some money back after selling the 2015 that is in my car now. That's the plan, anyway...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Rambo For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (02-25-2016), steve99 (02-25-2016), Summerwolf (02-26-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 10:13 PM   #130
John Rambo

I know I keep double/triple posting. Sorry about that if anyone is bothered by it.

I called the dealer. After explaining the situation to them thoroughly, they said it would be close to $2 grand just to have the motor pulled apart and inspected. NO THANK YOU!

I'm either going to try to sell it as is, or hopefully replacing the cam sprocket will fix the issue and I'll sell it...

Anyone want to buy a motor to build??
Old 02-26-2016, 08:38 AM   #131
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
I know I keep double/triple posting. Sorry about that if anyone is bothered by it.

I called the dealer. After explaining the situation to them thoroughly, they said it would be close to $2 grand just to have the motor pulled apart and inspected. NO THANK YOU!

I'm either going to try to sell it as is, or hopefully replacing the cam sprocket will fix the issue and I'll sell it...

Anyone want to buy a motor to build??
Don't apologized, I've learned a lot from this ordeal. Yea f* the dealer...

I'd say try and fix it and sell it later.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #132
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I'd almost cut my losses, take back the motor and start with finding a whole new motor to build. I have learned a lot with this posting, and it is obvious you have a large community of people trying to help you out. Sucks that you are even put in this position.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:39 PM   #133
John Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Don't apologized, I've learned a lot from this ordeal. Yea f* the dealer...

I'd say try and fix it and sell it later.
Yeah I'll probably end up doing that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
I'd almost cut my losses, take back the motor and start with finding a whole new motor to build. I have learned a lot with this posting, and it is obvious you have a large community of people trying to help you out. Sucks that you are even put in this position.
I'm not sure if I should talk numbers on the the forum, but I will anyway.
It'd be a pretty big loss. On top of the >3k I spent on a motor swap at Evasive, I would be losing $750 on the motor itself. It would be almost a $4k loss and close to 4 months of payment on the car without it being driveable, not factoring labor in pulling the motor to return it to the salvage yard. If I fix it and sell it, I would only have to pay a couple hundred out of pocket in order to repair it (they'd pay for most of the repair including some labor) and a working motor can minimize the loss if I sell it. Plus I might have a working car at the end of it, so I can drive the car that I'm paying for again. Remember it's supposed to be a DD.

It's a risk to replace the cam sprocket since it might not work, but for a couple hundred dollar loss it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Plus I have my old blown motor that I can use some parts from if I build my motor. I've been in contact with LJ at full blown about a stage 1 shortblock and some head work on the ones from my blown motor and they are offering something in my budget.

FRS Justin is with his family right now and whenever he comes to LA to pick up his engine from outfront, I can get a quote there with him and I'll go with the best route I can afford.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:46 PM   #134
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I get the gamble of a couple hundred bucks now.... makes perfect sense. I still can't hardly believe what you have gone through.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
John Rambo (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #135
drgill

Drives: 2016 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am sorry about your motor and the problems you have been having trying to get it repaired. It sounds like some of the folks working on your car did not have the skills (technical and analysis) to do the job. Thanks for sharing your ordeal. The thread is fascinating. On the positive side you have learned a lot.
All the best,
Dennis
drgill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drgill For This Useful Post:
John Rambo (02-26-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #136
John Rambo

So I've taken it to Outfront Motorsports, and they said they diagnosed it and a cam gear needs to be replaced. I asked if it could possibly be something else and they said yes but they have to replace the cam gear first and then see if anything else is wrong, at which point if there is I'll have to pay even more money to get it working.

Kinda nervous about this since there's no guarantee any of this will work but I think I'm going to go ahead with the replacement and see what happens.

Car has been out of commission since November of last year...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Rambo For This Useful Post:
FRS Justin (03-10-2016), shiumai (03-09-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 02:23 AM   #137
FRS Justin

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
So I've taken it to Outfront Motorsports, and they said they diagnosed it and a cam gear needs to be replaced. I asked if it could possibly be something else and they said yes but they have to replace the cam gear first and then see if anything else is wrong, at which point if there is I'll have to pay even more money to get it working.

Kinda nervous about this since there's no guarantee any of this will work but I think I'm going to go ahead with the replacement and see what happens.

Car has been out of commission since November of last year...

Your in the best hands to be in with Ozzy and Jeremy. Stay positive your in the home stretch. I'm in STL still looks like I will be here another week to 10 days. Then I'm heading your way my new closed deck is waiting on me....
FRS Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRS Justin For This Useful Post:
John Rambo (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 07:16 PM   #138
John Rambo

Just to give everyone who followed this thread an update: I picked up my car today from Outfront Motorsports and they replaced the cam gear and so far so good! No codes and the cam is functioning as it should be! Didn't cost much either and the guys there are good shout out to Ozzy for being very communicative and easy to work with. Also thanks to FRS Justin for being so helpful in figuring out what is wrong with my car and referring me to Outfront

I'll most likely be returning my car to stock as I now have a new car. I got a 2016 Cadillac ATS-V a couple weeks ago. Loving that car as well!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to John Rambo For This Useful Post:
brandonblt2 (08-18-2020), CSG Mike (03-25-2016), FRS Justin (03-25-2016), Lonewolf (03-26-2016), Sportsguy83 (04-30-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 07:58 PM   #139
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Just to give everyone who followed this thread an update: I picked up my car today from Outfront Motorsports and they replaced the cam gear and so far so good! No codes and the cam is functioning as it should be! Didn't cost much either and the guys there are good shout out to Ozzy for being very communicative and easy to work with. Also thanks to FRS Justin for being so helpful in figuring out what is wrong with my car and referring me to Outfront

I'll most likely be returning my car to stock as I now have a new car. I got a 2016 Cadillac ATS-V a couple weeks ago. Loving that car as well!

Nice man! I saw your car when I got mine
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ft86me For This Useful Post:
John Rambo (03-25-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 10:53 PM   #140
walletsr

Drives: 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just reading your thread since I just blew my motor running the innovate 335 kit and bought a junkyard motor. Hopefully, I dont run into the same issues, the motor I bought has a 90 day replacement period. I plan on returning to "stock" and trading it in.
walletsr is offline   Reply With Quote