follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 04:04 AM   #295
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by #maverick# View Post
Would this swap kit work with a ls7 427 based crate engine.
Something like this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ml...et?prefilter=1
not to go off topic, and not that it wouldn't be cool, but wouldn't you be better off going with a different platform, something more designed to handle an engine with that much torque/power.. say the FFM-GTM?
Old 07-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #296
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Something like this:
I don't see why not, it has the same external dimenstions of an LS1 and an LS series intake manifold. Yes it would fit and be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
not to go off topic, and not that it wouldn't be cool, but wouldn't you be better off going with a different platform, something more designed to handle an engine with that much torque/power.. say the FFM-GTM?
♫ ♪♬ Iiiiiif you don't have anything helpful to saaaaay ♫ ♪♬

There are plenty of valid uses for that much power and torque in this chassis. That engine would probably not be so great in a "normal" FRS race car unless you plan on widebody / Hoosiers or similar and serious downforce, but it could be made workable. alternatively, the point of a drift car is to be ludicrously overpowered for the chassis and suspension... Maybe that isn't the intention anyway... It'd make a great FRS-based drag car too... Or a street monster, if you're into that I guess...

Last edited by Spartarus; 07-08-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:05 AM   #297
modernbeat
Vorshlag R&D

Drives: A new one every month
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Something like this:
Short answer, yes.

Long answer, you will have to do a lot more work on the car outside of the kit components to support that engine and it's potential power.
#maverick# (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #298
mightaswell

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
"LS7 in an 86 chassis? no no no, terrible idea" - no one, ever
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mightaswell For This Useful Post:
#maverick# (07-08-2015), civicdrivr (07-09-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #299
wrxdriver2002

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm putting an LSA in mine...
Old 07-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #300
Acree

Drives: 13 CSB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernbeat View Post
You were called in multiple times. You lost interest and became a no-show. The last time you and I spoke you told me that since you wouldn't be doing a swap yourself, you saw no reason to go ahead with the project. Terry and I both told you to name your price either for your IP, or for a product you developed sold by you, or sold by us. But you waffled again and again, never naming a price and eventually not getting back to us after losing interest.

If you're still interested in doing the work, I'd imagine Terry would still work with you. All you have to do is say what you want to be paid, if you've figured that out yet.

Anyway. Since I've got the CNC systems up and running and it's no longer monopolizing my time, I can take a break from it to concentrate on the BRZ project.

On Edit: From my POV you never named a price because it felt like you weren't sure about the work needed, or your capabilities of getting it done. You were introduced to the project, took measurements, never named a price, and disappeared. You may be a genius at this. From what I witnessed, I couldn't say. Just that we gave you an opportunity and you left.
Jason,

You and I will have to simply disagree on this. I promise you I never received a call from you guys. If I did and I never returned your calls, it's because I never had a voicemail. I don't pick up calls from numbers I don't have saved because I use my personal cell for business as well. If it's important enough, they'll leave a voicemail.

After my last visit out there, I was under the impression that you guys would get in touch with me when you had the PCM in hand. You can understand how I would get the same idea about your shop that I had of Weapons Grade after there was a bunch of promising talk and then nothing. I can see how you guys would feel the same way if I never returned your calls. I think this is a case of misguided assumptions on each side.

I'm currently up to my neck in designing a restaurant paging system that will be delivered in the next month. After that, I will have the time to devote to this project. Talk with Terry, see where he stands, and get back with me here on the forums via PM.

More than just completing a job, I want a proper ground up CANBUS solution out there for motor swaps on this platform. I'd venture to say you guys feels the same.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acree For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (07-09-2015), FrX (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #301
#maverick#

Drives: 2006 Pontiac GP (SOLD), 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartarus View Post
I don't see why not, it has the same external dimenstions of an LS1 and an LS series intake manifold. Yes it would fit and be awesome.

♫ ♪♬ Iiiiiif you don't have anything helpful to saaaaay ♫ ♪♬

There are plenty of valid uses for that much power and torque in this chassis. That engine would probably not be so great in a "normal" FRS race car unless you plan on widebody / Hoosiers or similar and serious downforce, but it could be made workable. alternatively, the point of a drift car is to be ludicrously overpowered for the chassis and suspension... Maybe that isn't the intention anyway... It'd make a great FRS-based drag car too... Or a street monster, if you're into that I guess...
4 link 9" rear end on slicks with either a t56 or th400. Drag car. I know i bought the wrong car. Id prefer a notchback and will probably go with that if i can find a clean rust free one for the right price. This is a few years out anyway lol, just doing my research, planning etc
Old 07-08-2015, 02:28 PM   #302
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
Jason,

You and I will have to simply disagree on this. I promise you I never received a call from you guys. If I did and I never returned your calls, it's because I never had a voicemail. I don't pick up calls from numbers I don't have saved because I use my personal cell for business as well. If it's important enough, they'll leave a voicemail.

After my last visit out there, I was under the impression that you guys would get in touch with me when you had the PCM in hand. You can understand how I would get the same idea about your shop that I had of Weapons Grade after there was a bunch of promising talk and then nothing. I can see how you guys would feel the same way if I never returned your calls. I think this is a case of misguided assumptions on each side.

I'm currently up to my neck in designing a restaurant paging system that will be delivered in the next month. After that, I will have the time to devote to this project. Talk with Terry, see where he stands, and get back with me here on the forums via PM.

More than just completing a job, I want a proper ground up CANBUS solution out there for motor swaps on this platform. I'd venture to say you guys feels the same.
I would love for you guys to come together on this, sooner would be much preferred over later. After driving my car at Cars and Coffee in Dallas I am Jonesing to get my car back. It has exceeded my expectations.
The Following User Says Thank You to cf6mech For This Useful Post:
Basket Case (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 04:50 PM   #303
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf6mech View Post
.........I am Jonesing to get my car back. It has exceeded my expectations.
Well, if you're willing to entertain the idea of a standalone ECU rather than the Chevy unit, I have some very good news about the CAN BUS coming in the very near future (this week) that isn't F***ing Motec, and is a lot less expensive... Just need to clarify a few final details. If not, i'll post it in the other thread too, and I'll be using it myself.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spartarus For This Useful Post:
#maverick# (07-08-2015), cf6mech (07-28-2015), civicdrivr (07-09-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #304
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartarus View Post
Well, if you're willing to entertain the idea of a standalone ECU rather than the Chevy unit, I have some very good news about the CAN BUS coming in the very near future (this week) that isn't F***i** Motec, and is a lot less expensive... Just need to clarify a few final details. If not, i'll post it in the other thread too, and I'll be using it myself.
I'm on board with Vorschlag as a team member (for lack of better words) to make this a kit, their kit and the fit and finish of everything is amazing......it all looks OEM and performed flawlessly when I rung the cars neck a bit on the street......so I don't know if they are down with a stand alone at this point when there is a viable solution out there......Even though I'm willing to pay the price of even a Motec, to keep the price down a program less expensive is the route right now.......I know there has been chatter about ruining this car going V8.....blah...blah....blah.....but everything good about this car has been made ten folds better with the LS,.....and its way better on power delivery than a turbo....been that route.....I wouldn't go over 400whp unless your goals are drag car/street killer....Thank you Vorschlag for making this car a reality......freaking amazing to drive!.....I'm more than willing to let other serious kit buyers to test drive this thing.....the only way to put in words what it's like is behind the wheel.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cf6mech For This Useful Post:
Basket Case (07-08-2015), bumppinKota (07-08-2015), civicdrivr (07-09-2015), Draco_PR23 (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #305
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Quote:
I'm on board with Vorschlag as a team member (for lack of better words) to make this a kit, their kit and the fit and finish of everything is amazing......it all looks OEM and performed flawlessly when I rung the cars neck a bit on the street......so I don't know if they are down with a stand alone at this point when there is a viable solution out there......Even though I'm willing to pay the price of even a Motec, to keep the price down a program less expensive is the route right now.......I know there has been chatter about ruining this car going V8.....blah...blah....blah.....but everything good about this car has been made ten folds better with the LS,.....and its way better on power delivery than a turbo....been that route.....I wouldn't go over 400whp unless your goals are drag car/street killer....Thank you Vorschlag for making this car a reality......freaking amazing to drive!.....I'm more than willing to let other serious kit buyers to test drive this thing.....the only way to put in words what it's like is behind the wheel.
Ok then. It was just a casual suggestion, don't have to go that route. I'll share the information when I have all of it anyway...

I'm glad to hear the car is great. Glad to know I won't ruin mine by throwing a v8 in there. The original Vorshlag blog posts sold me on the idea anyway. Lots of really good information packed in there, even though the last update is last December.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spartarus For This Useful Post:
Calum (07-08-2015), cf6mech (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 06:29 PM   #306
Basket Case

Drives: 2013 Raven fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Im really glad to hear this! I was contemplating if this was going to be a bad idea to work towards and if I should just save and go turbo, etc. If it really does handle just as well I am fully on board with this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Basket Case For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #307
#maverick#

Drives: 2006 Pontiac GP (SOLD), 2014 FR-S
As for those that have an LS swap do you think there would still be room to fit a turbo? Maybe take one of JDL's vband headers, flip it and throw a single turbo on it?
Old 07-08-2015, 06:48 PM   #308
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
As for those that have an LS swap do you think there would still be room to fit a turbo? Maybe take one of JDL's vband headers, flip it and throw a single turbo on it?
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=201

This guy has a 5.3L iron block LS and they're fitting a turbo. Details are scarce.

Closed Thread