follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

View Poll Results: Interested in a double din Android unit?
Yes, I'd be interested 248 78.73%
Maybe, depends on the capabilities of the deck. 67 21.27%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #239
WRXGuy1

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrylum View Post
Indeed! I've been doing a lot of googling trying to find a diagram for them.

What kind of apps do you want to run on it? Remember, this is a head unit in your car, not really a tablet, so you're not really going to be doing a lot of hardcore gaming or anything. So far I haven't had much of a problem getting the apps I would want in my car to run on the unit.
Google Maps for one, the versions that are on 4.0+ have many more features and a better UI than ones for older versions.

WRXGuy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #240
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuy1 View Post
Google Maps for one, the versions that are on 4.0+ have many more features and a better UI than ones for older versions.
Yea, I'll give you that, but I never use it. NavFree USA is a free nav software that you can download locally and not have to use 3G/LTE to navigate. So it works even when you don't have service.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #241
gerrylum

Drives: 2006 Scion tC
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXGuy1 View Post
True, it's better but not THAT much better. The version of GoogleMaps I'm using is still pretty darn good and I actually prefer to use it over any other Nav software available for Android even if I have to use my phone as a wifi access point for the head unit.

I'll just say the benefits of having an android based head unit, even if it's running Gingerbread, far outweigh the drawbacks of using a competing product that doesn't use Android at all, and costs hundreds of dollars more.
gerrylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #242
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Im a fan of these droid units but will always feel one or three Android versions old... I'm going to keep an eye on the company Devium and their Kickstarter Dash project.. Their model seems like the best go forward idea for car stereos... build the deck w/amps, but let the customer provide the phone/phablet to power the music. As long as your phone fits their faceplate, you'll be able to use all features of your phone and charge it..

I like the fact they will be supporting the Samsung Note after the iphone version drops later this year
Old 11-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #243
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkoastal View Post
Im a fan of these droid units but will always feel one or three Android versions old... I'm going to keep an eye on the company Devium and their Kickstarter Dash project.. Their model seems like the best go forward idea for car stereos... build the deck w/amps, but let the customer provide the phone/phablet to power the music. As long as your phone fits their faceplate, you'll be able to use all features of your phone and charge it..

I like the fact they will be supporting the Samsung Note after the iphone version drops later this year
Is this it?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...one-car-stereo

I can just imagine Apple fans trying to use a 3.5-4" touch screen radio while driving. Oh lord. Couple that with Apple Maps....

Neat idea though.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #244
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forme View Post
Is this it?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...one-car-stereo

I can just imagine Apple fans trying to use a 3.5-4" touch screen radio while driving. Oh lord. Couple that with Apple Maps....

Neat idea though.
Thats the one... Of course the Iphones have to get this first (easier R&D with a single phone style), but android phones are next on their list.. Whats nice about this platform is that the faceplate is what connects to the phone, not the actual stereo.. I'm hoping eventually this guy makes a faceplate for tablets and then its pretty much a done deal for me..
Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #245
gerrylum

Still haven't had time to do a video review, but here's a photo of the install.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #246
2forme

Garage
Sweet, I installed mine into my other car. Not a bad little unit. I'm trying to get Ca-Fi to send me a copy of the modified Torque apk to see if it will work over USB on the knockoff.
@gerrylum, what launcher are you using and is it possible to get the launcher bar on the driver side?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #247
gerrylum

I'm just using ADW Launcher EX. I'm not SURE if the app bar can be moved over to the left... I'll check the settings tonight and report back.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #248
gerrylum

Nope, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to move the app bar to the other side.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:38 AM   #249
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thanks but no thanks, only because I would buy this 100% if I bought an FRS to replace that 20 year old looking cassette CD player.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #250
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
Thanks but no thanks, only because I would buy this 100% if I bought an FRS to replace that 20 year old looking cassette CD player.
Are you honestly saying the stock BRZ head unit is better than this???? LOL!

Edit: Forgot this was the Adayo thread. You should check out the head unit battle thread I did with the Ca-Fi. It runs Torque and has a capacitive touch screen.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
LeeMaster (12-02-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #251
Trashed675

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrylum View Post
Received my head unit on Friday and installed it yesterday. So far so good, though I haven't got my steering wheel controls connected yet, nor the rear-view camera that came with it. I'll post a video review soon.
Did you get the Ca-Fi or the knock off? I've got a first gen tC at the moment as well and the reason i'm not getting this, until my FRS arrives, is because i don't want to have to mess with the ipod input or the steering wheel controls, I am curious to see if you find a solution though. You'll have to post a video of it in action.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #252
2forme

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashed675 View Post
Did you get the Ca-Fi or the knock off? I've got a first gen tC at the moment as well and the reason i'm not getting this, until my FRS arrives, is because i don't want to have to mess with the ipod input or the steering wheel controls, I am curious to see if you find a solution though. You'll have to post a video of it in action.
FWIW both the ca fi and the knock off come with iPod cables and steering control leads/apps. I have both.