follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
Cjymiller
Original 2013 Owner

Drives: 13 BRZ, Galaxy Blue Silica
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Perrin Headerback Exhaust; 987 Motorsports | Review

This is the first car I have really been able to modify. My old 1987 Volvo 740 Turbo was not what you'd call tuner friendly and it had 366,000 miles when I sold her for a $1,000. I knew that buying a BRZ would be a new chapter. Not only would I be presented with the vastness of the aftermarket, but finding resources that could help my decision making would be important.

I was lucky to find Billy Muller at @987 Motorsports. When hunting down the catback portion of my exhaust, I had my heart set on the Perrin pipes in black and he helped me source one of the last sets in circulation. Billy also provided perspective on my direction. He was able to answer all my questions and then begin to go in depth on related issues I would have otherwise been ignorant of.

Recently, Perrin decided to discontinue anything in their lineup that replaces a cat. Sourcing a 2.5" overpipe and catted front pipe would be a trying process, so I immediately hit up 987 Motorsports. A phone call later, Billy had located what I needed. Perrin was no longer holding inventory and what was left out there was going fast. Four days later, I had some great parts delivered and the real fun began.

With the help of a Grimmspeed Guide, and a second opinion from the fantastic writeup of @F1point4, my frontpipe and overpipe install proceeded without issue.

I was done three hours later. Crawling out from under the car, and dusting myself off, I started it up. What a fantastic noise. I had thought that the catback itself was a sweet sound but two more pipes later, I had a smooth, deep, strong tone. A drive was in order. I grabbed 3 other BRZ, and two WRX and we immediately went up the mountain on the other side of the valley.

I left the music off for this trip. Under load, the exhaust reverberated through the trees and made its solid baritone note heard. I also left the windows down. As I eyed the tach, I could hear the tone change as the motor progressed through the rev range. It was satisfying. The car sounded more alive and as though it was basically making that ribbon of mountain tarmac its B****.

A full Perrin headerback exhaust is awesome. It makes a fantastic sound that is loud enough to get attention but absolutely quiet at cruising. Although Perrin does not make a front pipe any longer, substituting another brand should yield the same results. I highly encourage anyone to reach out to 987 Motorsports and simply start a conversation. Tell them what you have in mind and they will help you find the best way to get there. Even if you're like me, all the way on the other side of the country.

Special Thanks to:

Billy Muller
billy@987-motorsports.com
(908)454-4498
http://987-motorsports.com/
Perrin Headerback, OFH, OFT, Ohlins R&T MI20, 17x9 Weds TC105N, Hankook RS4 (235/40), TOM's JDM Tails, PCV AOS, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Rear Trans. Mount, Whiteline Shift Bushing, SS brake Lines, Hawk DTC60, Bayson R Lip Kit, LED Lighting , Smoked JDM Sidemarkers, Rear Fog Enable, Carsmo Armrest, Grimmspeed Plate Relocater
φφκα
Cjymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cjymiller For This Useful Post:
feldy (11-23-2013), PERRIN_Mladen (11-22-2013), wrxgoose (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
so they stopped with the front pipe? damn, i guess i got lucky picking it up when i did. I LOVE the way mine sounds, and while it's a high flow cat, it smells like i'm burning through it, which i'm gonna check tomorrow.

great review, and i still think that it's one of the best sounding exhausts available for this car.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
lickitysplit
Don't care

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I too got my front pipe a few weeks back and it was the last one at the shop I bought mine from. Glad I did it when i did. The quality of their system is quite remarkable
lickitysplit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lickitysplit For This Useful Post:
PERRIN_Mladen (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
koevasi

Drives: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So what is perrin's rationale for pulling the cat replacement parts?
koevasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Looks like we all went into a Perrin front pipe hunt, I got my 3" front pipe last week.

I plan on having the same setup as you, but in 3"
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
i considered getting the Perrin exhaust system but the damn thing weighs more than the stock!
Old 11-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Muller Performance

Drives: Subaru & Scion
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I would love to know why Perrin discontinued the front pipe, that's your biggest restriction area, the equivalent to the downpipe on the wrx/sti platforms.
Perrin's quality is spot on. There's a reason their pieces cost more, V band clamps on the catbacks, the thick flanges, and the great welds. They keep churning out new products too.

Thanks for the mention Chris, what's next for the car?! Suspension, wheels, tires, short shifter.

-Billy
Muller Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
JDKane527

Drives: Asphalt Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987 Motorsports View Post
I would love to know why Perrin discontinued the front pipe, that's your biggest restriction area, the equivalent to the downpipe on the wrx/sti platforms.
I believe it was due to emissions, and moving forward didn't want to tamper with it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
projek_01

Drives: 1996 ST204, Series 10 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
dam, glad i bought my 3" header back before they discontinued it. circuit motor sports told me it was discontinued also when I ordered mine too. I asked perrin jeff why but he didn't get back to me.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #10
Apoc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
i considered getting the Perrin exhaust system but the damn thing weighs more than the stock!
I went with perrin because it was lighter than stock, made decent power and sounded the way I wanted.

Stock Catback = 38.4 lbs
Perrin Catback (Res) = 33.6 lbs
Perrin Catback (Non-Res) = 29.2 lbs

This was pulled from Dsport Magazine.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #11
Pablitomarrero

Drives: FR-S 10 series
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

lol
Pablitomarrero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pablitomarrero For This Useful Post:
Apoc (11-23-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #12
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
nice writeup. guess on front pipe is probably is either high defect rate on cat or cost to manufacture was high and killed margin.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #13
Pablitomarrero

Drives: FR-S 10 series
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
nice writeup. guess on front pipe is probably is either high defect rate on cat or cost to manufacture was high and killed margin.
Since the announcement I always thought the latter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pablitomarrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
PERRIN_Mladen

Drives: '11 535i
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987 Motorsports View Post
Perrin's quality is spot on. There's a reason their pieces cost more, V band clamps on the catbacks, the thick flanges, and the great welds. They keep churning out new products too.

Thanks for the mention Chris, what's next for the car?! Suspension, wheels, tires, short shifter.

-Billy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDKane527 View Post
I believe it was due to emissions, and moving forward didn't want to tamper with it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by projek_01 View Post
dam, glad i bought my 3" header back before they discontinued it. circuit motor sports told me it was discontinued also when I ordered mine too. I asked perrin jeff why but he didn't get back to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablitomarrero View Post
Since the announcement I always thought the latter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@PERRIN_Jeff has been extremely busy, so I apologize for his lack of response!

In regards to why the front pipe has been discontinued, there is no state that allows for cats to be replaced unless they have failed or are out of warranty. Even then, they need to be a proper cat and the high performance cats do not qualify for legal replacement.

There will always be companies bending the rules to do this, but we are taking the "green" high road.
PERRIN_Mladen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
987 motorsports, exhaust, headerback, perrin, review