follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2015, 01:43 PM   #85
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Real-time Oil temperature Analysis - Pre/Post Coolant Loop Oil Cooler Install

It's a bitch to just run the hoses for me since I have a Kraftwerks supercharger in the way. Also the oil gasket on the OEM cooler seemed to have expanded and now does not want to get seated without popping off. I'm trying to use 1/2" and 3/8" hoses but what you just said has me concerned about the hoses being too big for the throttle body ports. Starting to wonder if this is all worth the ~4 def F cooler oil temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #86
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think 3/8" is fine for the throttle body fitting. Loose is probably not 100% accurate.

It went on to the TB without any issues compared to the oil cooler, so it just felt really easy. If you make sure the hose clamps are tight you should be fine.

I just got back from my first drive in the car, nothing fancy/fast. No leaks, and oil temps were within 4C of the coolant.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #87
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
Starting to wonder if this is all worth the ~4 def F cooler oil temps.
Not sure where you got that number from. My videos show a 15 degree difference, but the range is 10-20 degrees not 5 or so.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:56 PM   #88
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
@Kostamojen my bad 10-20 instead of ~5. It has just been frustrating getting the hoses to connect and fit. I know someone else got this to work with the KW kit but I'm not sure it's worth it for me. Seems like the greatest benefit for me is to extend the oil filter up higher so it'd be easier to change in the future (I may just forgo connecting the lines ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2015, 02:34 AM   #89
RelentlessGT

Drives: Toyota GT86 Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys,
I have done the Forester XT Oil cooler route (done from the coolant line not through the throttle body) and had decent results.

Perhaps the other change could be a lower temperature thermostat to increase the temperature differential between the coolant and the oil in the heat exchanger. It is a shame that the thermostat is not in a really nice to change spot like the oil filter is so you could change the thermostat easily without draining the coolant if you were intending to drive the car hard.

Not sure what the impact would be for daily driving with that type of thermostat but it might be worth 5 deg. Celsius.
RelentlessGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:03 AM   #90
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,318 Times in 4,120 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdxyjy View Post
Why have plain sex with a model when you can hire a cheap prostitute, dress up in a bear suit, and bring in some chains? Different strokes.
Why are you quoting @jsimon7777 without credit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Why have plain sex with a model when you can hire a cheap prostitute, dress up in a bear suit, and bring in some chains? Different strokes.
I also don't see how it is relevant to this thread.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:26 AM   #91
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessGT View Post
Hi guys,
I have done the Forester XT Oil cooler route (done from the coolant line not through the throttle body) and had decent results.

Perhaps the other change could be a lower temperature thermostat to increase the temperature differential between the coolant and the oil in the heat exchanger. It is a shame that the thermostat is not in a really nice to change spot like the oil filter is so you could change the thermostat easily without draining the coolant if you were intending to drive the car hard.

Not sure what the impact would be for daily driving with that type of thermostat but it might be worth 5 deg. Celsius.
You could try the lower temp thermostat , some say they may run engine colder than design temp , but I suspect the limiting factor is the surface area of the oil to coolant heat exchanger .

Even running coolant from the OEM lines instead of the throttle body still sees coolant to oil temp differential increase after 15 mins or so of hard driving differential about 45F degrees so another 9F/5C degrees wont gain you much more heat transfer possibly 10-15% maybe. But every bit helps and its a relatively cheap and easy mod.

If your going to do sustained long track runs it probably worth the expense of an air/oil radiator type oil cooler. I did see someone with a double stacked sandwich plate running both types together. They must have made a custom centre mount to hold both plates maybe.

Last edited by steve99; 03-09-2015 at 05:46 AM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:35 AM   #92
WesleyG

Drives: 2014 Satin White Pearl GTS auto
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have a similar setup on my 2zz GE- they came standard with these, and after about 5 super hot laps on Kyalami in sunny south africa-- track temperature 50 deg + Celcius and ambient temperature 30 deg Celcius, the oil temp starts to creep up to around 115 deg Celcius, So it works to an extent, but has it limits, on a dedicated track car it will not be sufficient.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #93
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Talking

First of all, that quote is relevant to all threads no matter what. Second, getting my words out is more important than giving me credit. Third, methinks it was an ad bot of some kind, but an ad bot with good taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Why are you quoting @jsimon7777 without credit?

I also don't see how it is relevant to this thread.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil cooler, oil temp, temperature