follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #855
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
That barrel run... Did you see how far down your voltage dropped? Or how long you were at WOT?

Also any plans to snag the procede?

I didnt see the voltage. My switch is temporarily mounted right behind the TSC buttons (where the Heated seat switch is on the LIMITED cars) and I didnt look down at all. But i was likely WOT for 6 secs on the way down before braking. Coming back it was likely 8 secs or more, i was at the top of 3rd gear before i had to scrub some speed off to make my first turn.

Procede? Possibly. My first order of business at the moment is to install my JRZ coils. I just got them delivered after 4 months of waiting for JRZ to change the valving for me. So, I need to install them and let them settle and then get a proper race alignment. But i need to PM @Lord09 since i believe he has his for sale. I also just tuned my 16 Golf R, so I have been a little busy with side projects. The golf had some issues that i had to work out.
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #856
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
I didnt see the voltage. My switch is temporarily mounted right behind the TSC buttons (where the Heated seat switch is on the LIMITED cars) and I didnt look down at all. But i was likely WOT for 6 secs on the way down before braking. Coming back it was likely 8 secs or more, i was at the top of 3rd gear before i had to scrub some speed off to make my first turn.

Procede? Possibly. My first order of business at the moment is to install my JRZ coils. I just got them delivered after 4 months of waiting for JRZ to change the valving for me. So, I need to install them and let them settle and then get a proper race alignment. But i need to PM @Lord09 since i believe he has his for sale. I also just tuned my 16 Golf R, so I have been a little busy with side projects. The golf had some issues that i had to work out.

Sounds like fun. If I remember the aux charger that rob recommended was around 80 bucks and was an easy install.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #857
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Garage
Quote:
Sounds like fun. If I remember the aux charger that rob recommended was around 80 bucks and was an easy install.
Well that sounds stupid simple. I can do that in my garage, easier to pass it by the wife. Usually i have to go up to work and use the shops resources. That is not as wife friendly.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1460991730

This is how i work on my cars.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #858
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Well that sounds stupid simple. I can do that in my garage, easier to pass it by the wife. Usually i have to go up to work and use the shops resources. That is not as wife friendly.

This is how i work on my cars.

Lol that first picture looks like it's floating.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 04-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #859
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Garage
Quote:
Lol that first picture looks like it's floating.
Yeah, I'm a Jedi.

Anyways, yes i need to get an AUX charger and Procede. Both i can do in my garage so there is no excuse.

Thank you for the education.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (04-20-2016), Sojhinn (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 10:50 PM   #860
stevo585

Drives: White 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
That barrel run... Did you see how far down your voltage dropped? Or how long you were at WOT?

Also any plans to snag the procede?

I've pulled from 0-125mph (top of fifth before). That's what 20-25 seconds? Still around 21-22V.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:37 AM   #861
rdub-S

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
track day coming

I have a track day coming up in a month. This will be my first time at the track with the ESC. I have the most recent version of the ESC, a procede controller and plan to pick up an aux charger.

From my experience at this track, I expect I'll run out of boost with this system or trigger the thermal protection. So what then? Will it hurt anything to shut it off and stay out there unboosted? Am I OK to run on the same OFT tune with the system shut off or should I remove it and flash back to a Stage 2 tune?

I don't want to damage the system. I bought the ESC primarily for street use, but I don't want it to be a liability at the track, and would be prepared to uninstall for a day if recommended.

rdub-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #862
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub-S View Post
I have a track day coming up in a month. This will be my first time at the track with the ESC. I have the most recent version of the ESC, a procede controller and plan to pick up an aux charger.

From my experience at this track, I expect I'll run out of boost with this system or trigger the thermal protection. So what then? Will it hurt anything to shut it off and stay out there unboosted? Am I OK to run on the same OFT tune with the system shut off or should I remove it and flash back to a Stage 2 tune?

I don't want to damage the system. I bought the ESC primarily for street use, but I don't want it to be a liability at the track, and would be prepared to uninstall for a day if recommended.

Keep everything on... It will handle the thermal issues on its own. And run it like you want.

Installed Mods:
Old 04-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #863
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Garage
Quote:

I ran my car on the track with the system off for 1 session and with it on for 3 other sessions. It wont make any difference. Your OFT tune will run fine whether the ESC is on or off. In fact I still drive my car with the ESC off quite a bit.

Once i taxed my ESC, it still worked fine....it just didnt produce quite the same level of power. But you could still feel it kicking in. If the ESC is turned off, technically it would cause a slight air restriction, but likely nothing that would be of consequence.

When i had my first ESC on my other BRZ...I used to remove the ESC (motor/turbine only) assembly and reinstall my std inlet tube. Took 5 mins. This way i was legal for STX events. It didnt matter that i still had all the ESC bits still installed.

So, to recap you should be fine to run however you wish. I bet you get power longer than i did. My batteries were brand new last week. And they were charging back up much faster these last two days, than they were during my track sessions.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:39 PM   #864
sidesleeper

Drives: BRZ series blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It doesn't run rich with the lack of extra air that the tune expects to see?
sidesleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #865
stevo585

Drives: White 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I ran my car on the track with the system off for 1 session and with it on for 3 other sessions. It wont make any difference. Your OFT tune will run fine whether the ESC is on or off. In fact I still drive my car with the ESC off quite a bit.

Once i taxed my ESC, it still worked fine....it just didnt produce quite the same level of power. But you could still feel it kicking in. If the ESC is turned off, technically it would cause a slight air restriction, but likely nothing that would be of consequence.

When i had my first ESC on my other BRZ...I used to remove the ESC (motor/turbine only) assembly and reinstall my std inlet tube. Took 5 mins. This way i was legal for STX events. It didnt matter that i still had all the ESC bits still installed.

So, to recap you should be fine to run however you wish. I bet you get power longer than i did. My batteries were brand new last week. And they were charging back up much faster these last two days, than they were during my track sessions.
"If the ESC is turned off, technically it would cause a slight air restriction, but likely nothing that would be of consequence".

Not exactly. My MAF was off 10% with it installed when I did my street tuning on ecutek. Had to rescale. We specifically did WOT runs with it on and off to adjust.

I wouldn't call it slight but still doubt anything bad would happen. Just more of an FYI.
brzaapi (04-21-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #866
rdub-S

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks all. Very much appreciate having the benefit of your experience. Will run it as is and see how it goes.
rdub-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #867
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Thanks all. Very much appreciate having the benefit of your experience. Will run it as is and see how it goes.

Yeah you should be fine as the thermal safe guards won't let anything bad happen. And since you are running a procede it will allow airflow as you open up throttle.

Just don't worry about it and have fun!

Installed Mods:
Old 04-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #868
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo585 View Post
"If the ESC is turned off, technically it would cause a slight air restriction, but likely nothing that would be of consequence".

Not exactly. My MAF was off 10% with it installed when I did my street tuning on ecutek. Had to rescale. We specifically did WOT runs with it on and off to adjust.

I wouldn't call it slight but still doubt anything bad would happen. Just more of an FYI.
Hmmm. Maybe its cause i am using a "flash n go" tune with flex fuel kit. I dont know. I suppose it may cause scaling issues.

To be honest, if someone was still using the foot pedal switch, and I still am. Then i would leave the system on, but slightly move the switch back as to not engage the turbine. This way you still get the benefit of the partial turbine spin when it detects a vacuum, to assist airflow. But, the ESC still doesnt produce boost. Why do this? Well sometimes i like to keep my car pure NA and see what i can do. Besides, sometimes my fellow drivers will say " you beat me cause your boosted". Then I show them that i can still do it when i am NA. The ESC helps, but it doesnt give me a 5 sec faster lap time. But horsepower guys (i use to be one) are ignorant to such things.

However, rdub-s....this does not apply to you since you are on the procede. We are all just sharing ideas here on the board, cause its fun to talk about our cars and our ESC toys. I am no expert at all. But you wont have any issues. The ESC is actually quite robust. Sohjinn is right, just run it. Everything else here is academic. Let us know how you do.

I have another event this weekend. The wife and I are splitting time on the BRZ. So I will report back on how well my batteries have broken-in.
The Following User Says Thank You to brzaapi For This Useful Post:
DC2R (04-29-2016)