follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2014, 04:28 AM   #57
john79

Drives: FT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
looks good! I think I will try this soon!
john79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #58
Iam-Naimless

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FRS
Modifying the snorkel will yield NO real world benefit under circuit conditions. Buy a direct ram air snorkel to replace the stock one. U will feel a benefit from that at speed.
Iam-Naimless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iam-Naimless For This Useful Post:
Scrappydoo (01-10-2017)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #59
Dephective

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
good point on heat soak.

Stock tables Intake Air Temps above 86F starts to pull timing from map, above 120F its pulling maybe 1.5 to 2 degrees, this will effect performance.

If you can keep your IAT lower its better , however is generally only a problem in traffic or low speed, or maybe for boosted guys with a turbo near intake tract. Once your around 60kMH IAT recover to close to ambient on stock car.
Correct on the first part. Regarding turbo, it really doesn't matter where you place the filter because as soon as it is compressed it's going to heat up dramatically. How efficient your IC is and airflow over it is what matters, but really pointless in traffic and low speeds anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam-Naimless View Post
Modifying the snorkel will yield NO real world benefit under circuit conditions. Buy a direct ram air snorkel to replace the stock one. U will feel a benefit from that at speed.
Um anything that reduces IAT on a N/A car is going to be better than not. If you look at the stock opening at the end of the tube its a tiny cylindrical tube that is placed out of direct air flow. This mod is considerably better on getting airflow that gets trapped behind the bumper cover to move over the filter. A ram air filter is going to have its drawbacks as placement is key, and they aren't always safe from rain. Stock airbox is still the best performing based on MAF placement and ease of tuning. I haven't seen an intake out that doesn't have MAF issues when it comes to tuning.

'01 Accord-daily
'93 Rx7-fire breathing track monster 545hp 397tq 2300lb.
'06 Mazdaspeed6 one helluva love-hate relationship
Dephective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #60
Iam-Naimless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephective View Post
Correct on the first part. Regarding turbo, it really doesn't matter where you place the filter because as soon as it is compressed it's going to heat up dramatically. How efficient your IC is and airflow over it is what matters, but really pointless in traffic and low speeds anyways.

Um anything that reduces IAT on a N/A car is going to be better than not. If you look at the stock opening at the end of the tube its a tiny cylindrical tube that is placed out of direct air flow. This mod is considerably better on getting airflow that gets trapped behind the bumper cover to move over the filter. A ram air filter is going to have its drawbacks as placement is key, and they aren't always safe from rain. Stock airbox is still the best performing based on MAF placement and ease of tuning. I haven't seen an intake out that doesn't have MAF issues when it comes to tuning.
The car is not built to function sitting still. Airflow at speed is key to making a proper intake. You apparently have not been involved in that process like i have for many years as a racer.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #61
KAOS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 10 Series
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys, FRS driver here. I see all of the snorkel mods, nice. Anyway, I tried something similar and noticed a huge drop in torque down low, off the line. I drive an AT out of neccessity not choice. Anyway if you just punch it from a stop or under 1500 rpms with the oversized snorkel it will bog and the car will barely move. Rpms slowly climb to 2000 and the car gets going like normal. Anyway, I liked the extra pull up top so instead of abandoning the idea I designed a system that maximizes torque down low and still allows the car to breathe freely up top. I am not vendor status yet but, I have already made a request. Soon I will post pics and videos of the system in operation. I am also looking for a stock MT and stock AT to get a free intake upgrade and dyno session here in the North Bay. So before you pull the trigger on a $300 snorkel you may want to wait and see what I have. There really isn't anything like it out there. I hope to offer this unit right around the $50 range but, without a minimum order for reduced build costs the price sits at $65 right now. I believe that my unit will out perform most if not all snorkels on the market throughout the entire rpm range. This is a quality built unit, factory looks. I hope to have some videos up by mid week. Thanks.
KAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KAOS For This Useful Post:
DC2R (07-11-2014), FRSGeek (07-14-2014), kodyo (07-11-2014)
Old 07-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #62
Dephective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam-Naimless View Post
The car is not built to function sitting still. Airflow at speed is key to making a proper intake. You apparently have not been involved in that process like i have for many years as a racer.
You must not have read anything in my post then because that's exactly what I said.

I also went on to say that placement is key for a ram air-styled intake, however the issue is that all of the optimal placement locations are in direct path of where water would hit the filter. Airflow at speed isn't the only important thing to consider, 99.9% of drivers use their cars on the street as well, and heat soak in traffic is an issue. If it were a track car only and the car would never see rain, I would definitely have a ram air snorkel in my front grill.

'01 Accord-daily
Old 07-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #63
zooki

Drives: waiting on a 2021...
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAOS View Post
Hey guys, FRS driver here. I see all of the snorkel mods, nice. Anyway, I tried something similar and noticed a huge drop in torque down low, off the line. I drive an AT out of neccessity not choice. Anyway if you just punch it from a stop or under 1500 rpms with the oversized snorkel it will bog and the car will barely move. Rpms slowly climb to 2000 and the car gets going like normal. Anyway, I liked the extra pull up top so instead of abandoning the idea I designed a system that maximizes torque down low and still allows the car to breathe freely up top. I am not vendor status yet but, I have already made a request. Soon I will post pics and videos of the system in operation. I am also looking for a stock MT and stock AT to get a free intake upgrade and dyno session here in the North Bay. So before you pull the trigger on a $300 snorkel you may want to wait and see what I have. There really isn't anything like it out there. I hope to offer this unit right around the $50 range but, without a minimum order for reduced build costs the price sits at $65 right now. I believe that my unit will out perform most if not all snorkels on the market throughout the entire rpm range. This is a quality built unit, factory looks. I hope to have some videos up by mid week. Thanks.
And dyno sheets and AFR logs....yes?
1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke, the tow rig
1969 Mustang, the fast car....(:
zooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #64
Iam-Naimless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephective View Post
You must not have read anything in my post then because that's exactly what I said.

I also went on to say that placement is key for a ram air-styled intake, however the issue is that all of the optimal placement locations are in direct path of where water would hit the filter. Airflow at speed isn't the only important thing to consider, 99.9% of drivers use their cars on the street as well, and heat soak in traffic is an issue. If it were a track car only and the car would never see rain, I would definitely have a ram air snorkel in my front grill.
No shit sherlock....
The Following User Says Thank You to Iam-Naimless For This Useful Post:
BRZHarley (09-26-2015)
Old 07-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #65
Dephective

^ lol then what were you even arguing about? the 1% of cases that people would benefit?

'01 Accord-daily
Old 07-14-2014, 10:36 PM   #66
KAOS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 10 Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooki View Post
And dyno sheets and AFR logs....yes?
Yes, my car is no longer stock so I need a couple of volunteers with stock AT and MT. I will install my unit along with a K&N drop in filter and pay for dyno sessions on both cars. I need guinea pigs. I know there are gains being made with this unit because I have it installed on my car and can feel it in the butt dyno. Also, I monitor AFR's with OFT and have not seen any major variances that would lead me to believe that this unit is detrimental in any way. I run E85, and I don't have a dyno to compare my car to before but , I can tell you that from running the stage 2 map on oft with stock snorkel to stage 2 with my snorkel there is a noticeable difference.
KAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #67
EZx2

Drives:

If I understand right the air flow on twins comes from bottom of the car, ..
..so why open the snorkel @FRont side, but not bottom??

Another choice is: combine bottom opening with direct tube from the front of the car, but this requires cutting…
Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited by EZx2; 07-15-2014 at 06:55 AM.
EZx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #68
zooki

Drives: waiting on a 2021...
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Cool

[QUOTE=EZx2;1846725]

..so why open the snorkel @FRont side, but not bottom??

Because most people don't understand how air flows in, around, and under an automobile at speed. They don't understand what the radiused opening of the stock snorkel is for, and how the area in front of the radiator basically becomes a giant airbox at speed. It really doesn't matter which way you face the snorkel opening. Grimmspeed found through testing that the stock snorkel was not a restriction, and I think Cosworth found the same thing., that the stock intake system was good to around 300 HP.
1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke, the tow rig
1969 Mustang, the fast car....(:
zooki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zooki For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (07-15-2014), DC2R (07-15-2014), diodelphi (01-16-2015), Fast_Freddy (07-19-2014), hmong337 (10-01-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 01:38 AM   #69
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I recommend a "real" ram air setup as well. But they are expensive as fuck still.

I just wanted more noise and a bigger opening for lowering the ambient air temps. Whether or not it increases actual air flow would require more testing than I can do.

But I have run "ram air" style "real race car" intakes before, but require more filter maintenance and caution in various weather.
Quote:
..so why open the snorkel @FRont side, but not bottom
The plastic piece blocks the back side of the snorkel, and the bumper is directly in front... I cut it like that to keep it intact so that it still mounts to the stock locations, removes the silencer (for more noise) and creates a larger opening.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #70
Dephective

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooki View Post

Because most people don't understand how air flows in, around, and under an automobile at speed. They don't understand what the radiused opening of the stock snorkel is for, and how the area in front of the radiator basically becomes a giant airbox at speed. It really doesn't matter which way you face the snorkel opening. Grimmspeed found through testing that the stock snorkel was not a restriction, and I think Cosworth found the same thing., that the stock intake system was good to around 300 HP.
Sure the stock intake system could flow enough to produce 300hp. That isn't the issue. In order to get more into the intake tract, you need to reduce any restrictions. If we had a larger displacement motor or were able to rev higher to create more volumetric suction, our factory intake would definitely flow more. So in that case, no it isn't a restriction. However, that isn't the case currently, and more direct airflow means cooler air, which means power and responsiveness (<-- more than anything)

'01 Accord-daily