follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2015, 06:11 PM   #15
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Well, it could be argued that the Prius has aged well.
But in any case, even your statement is true, it does not follow that 10 years from now that would still be the case. Progress...

Personally, I love the idea of a non-hybrid rwd version and a hybrid awd version with electric motors up front. I'm a fan of simplicity and rwd and saving a few bucks, so I know which one I would get.
Explain the numerous failures of batteries on the second gen Prius. It's not the mileage that will affect the longevity, but time it self. Batteries degenerate overtime, whether they're lead-acid or lithium ion. Extreme temperatures don't help either. Not to mention the less a battery is used (or charged to full charge), the more the storage capacity degenerates.

As an electrical engineer I'm reminded everyday that electric cars are far from the future and that the current hybrid tech isn't meant to last as long as a car with a regular combustion engine setup. It's not the recharge times that any of you should be worried about, but the longevity and potential repair costs that electric cars and hybrid systems can have.

It will be interesting to see what they do next with batteries or the use of supercapacitors. Hopefully graphene will be less snake oil and more olive oil.
strat61caster (06-10-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #16
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Fake titties may be bigger too.. but they're still fake titties. I guess I just like NA.

I am still surprised at how many people are confused that some folks just don't like FI... in their sports cars.

I'd like a Turbo-Diesel truck. I'd even like a turbo/hybrid commuter but sports cars.. I like good ol' fashioned NA.
Hey, fake tits are still tits, and everybody loves tits. Men, women, babies, gay, straight. It don't matter. Tits rock. These are fake, would you turn them down? Man I love tits. So squishy and smooth. What were we talking about again?

I'll be in my bunk.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
dem00n (06-10-2015), raven1231 (06-10-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 06:27 PM   #17
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
Explain the numerous failures of batteries on the second gen Prius. It's not the mileage that will affect the longevity, but time it self. Batteries degenerate overtime, whether they're lead-acid or lithium ion. Extreme temperatures don't help either. Not to mention the less a battery is used (or charged to full charge), the more the storage capacity degenerates.
Yes, batteries degrade over time. But NiMH batteries are relatively durable and there are plenty of 10 year-old Prii still kicking.

NiMH batteries *don't* like to be fully charged, that reduces life. They like to be kept between ~40% and ~80% SOC for maximum life, and that's where the Prius' control system keeps the battery pack.

Lithium batteries may have more of a shelf life issue. The ones I am familiar with did, anyway...

Quote:
As an electrical engineer I'm reminded everyday that electric cars are far from the future
Right, they are the present :P

Quote:
and that the current hybrid tech isn't meant to last as long as a car with a regular combustion engine setup. It's not the recharge times that any of you should be worried about, but the longevity and potential repair costs that electric cars and hybrid systems can have.
The money saved over 10 years can easily offset the cost of a ~$3k battery pack replacement.

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what they do next with batteries or the use of supercapacitors. Hopefully graphene will be less snake oil and more olive oil.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to future developments.

FWIW, I'm an aerospace engineer but I spent many years at an electric vehicle company. Electric vehicles have their drawbacks, but for commute duty they are brilliant. I would save $25-$50/week commuting electrically vs. my S2000 or SV650 (70 mile round trip). And it is pretty cool to *never* have to stop at a gas station.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-10-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 06:36 PM   #18
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Yes, batteries degrade over time. But NiMH batteries are relatively durable and there are plenty of 10 year-old Prii still kicking.

NiMH batteries *don't* like to be fully charged, that reduces life. They like to be kept between ~40% and ~80% SOC for maximum life, and that's where the Prius' control system keeps the battery pack.

Lithium batteries may have more of a shelf life issue. The ones I am familiar with did, anyway...

Right, they are the present :P

The money saved over 10 years can easily offset the cost of a ~$3k battery pack replacement.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to future developments.

FWIW, I'm an aerospace engineer but I spent many years at an electric vehicle company. Electric vehicles have their drawbacks, but for commute duty they are brilliant. I would save $25-$50/week commuting electrically vs. my S2000 or SV650 (70 mile round trip). And it is pretty cool to *never* have to stop at a gas station.
Right, so we can agree hydrogen is the answer?
tahdizzle (06-10-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #19
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
Right, so we can agree hydrogen is the answer?
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:29 PM   #20
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
As for RWD being "too easy".......... wat? compared to what exactly?
Context of racing only and compared to FWD. I've raced both. Racing RWD at the limit is easier and less frightening then doing so in a properly setup FWD car (aka race specific setup). RWD requires much less "faith and commitment".

If you would like to discuss this topic more please PM me or start a new thread.. I think we've detoured this one enough.
juliog (06-11-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 09:44 PM   #21
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post

"Base model will be a 2.0T, RWD only, with 6MT. 300-330 hp in the base car....

This is the baby NSX, estimated base price of about $55K with the hybrid running to high $70K or low $80K. In the big scheme, it's the "S2000 replacement" in terms of where it fits on the sportscar hierarchy.

So I was reading that going yeah 2.0T, RWD, 330hp HP sounds good and got to the $55k USD and thought really $25k more than a BRZ Limited. Are they high? This thing better be tipping the scales at Miata type weights and made out of exotic materials for that kind of money. Even then I don't see the base model selling at all. Subaru could drop a turbo on the BRZ STI and sell it for $40k fully optioned out and still outsell this S2000 base model successor.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #22
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
So I was reading that going yeah 2.0T, RWD, 330hp HP sounds good and got to the $55k USD and thought really $25k more than a BRZ Limited. Are they high? This thing better be tipping the scales at Miata type weights and made out of exotic materials for that kind of money. Even then I don't see the base model selling at all. Subaru could drop a turbo on the BRZ STI and sell it for $40k fully optioned out and still outsell this S2000 base model successor.
It's also in Porsche territory.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #23
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
Yeah, it is pricey... but inflation is real and the S2K wasn't exactly cheap to begin with. The same sort of thing would happen with Mazda if they brought out an RX7 successor. Hell, it's very possible this could be better than the Supra successor Toyota is working on in all but power output.

Remember, it's mid-engined... that right there is the exotic factor. I mean, the Alfa 4C is about that price and although made of exotic materials, it uses struts in the rear (compromise) and has only about 240hp (if I remember correctly). Knowing the handling prowess of the S2000 and NSX, this baby NSX is likely to have superb suspension design and handling feel/response... and 330hp stock with a turbo, leaving room for aftermarket tuning, makes a strong case for it against something like a Cayman for those more performance-focused/less brand-focused... and of course, reliability and maintenance costs should be considered too.

Then again, there may be a 4 cylinder turbo Cayman out around that time too... likely to be more expensive though...
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:33 AM   #24
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
It's also in Porsche territory.
What if Honda makes a lighter, better performing, more reliable Cayman?
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Sigh-on-Rice (06-11-2015), strat61caster (06-11-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 01:04 AM   #25
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
It would have a Honda badge and not attract Cayman buyers. People who buy Caymans are buying the Porsche badge and the leather goodies on the inside, not the car.

I'm not terribly happy about the turbo either, unless they do an electric turbo like the next gen BMWs. Turbo lag is real.

Last edited by serialk11r; 06-11-2015 at 01:20 AM.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:09 AM   #26
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,257 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Still wouldnt trade my twin for one. I like the look, but wont match the IDX. I hope its a 2+2 as well.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV2Rg3zH5EY"]Nissan IDx NISMO Concept - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube[/ame]
strat61caster (06-11-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 03:55 AM   #27
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I would take the Honda... But I'm not spending that much on a car anytime soon.
I'm also not the typical Porsche buyer.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:07 AM   #28
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
The IDX has been confirmed to be shelved. Sorreh.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote