follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #15
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
There you have it. Real life experiences with coated headers. Hopefully this helps you make your decision.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
Churg (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #16
ELutz04

Drives: Black 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Definitely helps make a decision. The real life experience is exactly what I need to hear, so thank you guys. I was pretty set on the UEL, but I'll try to broaden my horizons and look into the P&L EL. Thanks again folks.
ELutz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #17
CCPcoatings

Drives: Dmax
Ceramic Coating your Scion FR-S header

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELutz04 View Post
Hey guys,

So every time I'd look around for a ceramic coating debate, it always turns into people talking about why wrapping your headers are bad because it can start a fire.

I really have no interest in wrapping the headers, but I am about to order FA20Club catted UEL header. I want to know if it is really necessary to get the ceramic coating (for an additional $175 and ~2 weeks delay on shipping). I honestly don't care much for looks, and I don't drive my car all that hard. I am a pretty typical daily driver; I don't race, and I don't go on the track. I do, however, plan on keeping this car for a very long time, so I'd like all the parts to last.

Last question, and this is more ignorance than anything, but what are the gaskets? FA20Club offers gaskets for an additional $20.

Thanks!

Eric

Granted you don't "need" ceramic coating for your purposes, nor does anyone for that matter. That being said, if you coat the header prior to insulation it will look pristine for a long time to come. Obviously more important if its mild steel, but its probably more necessary if its SS.

Although the SS will not rust through like a mild steel pipe it will oxidize and corrode and generally look like hell fairly quickly. Another reason you want to coat SS is because it holds so much heat at its surface. You want to insulate that as best you can and also the ceramic will dissipate the radiated heat much faster than the raw substrate as well. If the money is not an issue save yourself some grief down the road and coat it.

Not sure what ceramic your supplier is using but just make sure it is NOT traditional bright ceramic. These engines run to hot for this type of ceramic..... You want a high temp ceramic rated at 1700-2000F+....
CCPcoatings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CCPcoatings For This Useful Post:
unsurety (06-03-2014), Wepeel (06-03-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #18
ELutz04

Drives: Black 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCPcoatings View Post
Granted you don't "need" ceramic coating for your purposes, nor does anyone for that matter. That being said, if you coat the header prior to insulation it will look pristine for a long time to come. Obviously more important if its mild steel, but its probably more necessary if its SS.

Although the SS will not rust through like a mild steel pipe it will oxidize and corrode and generally look like hell fairly quickly. Another reason you want to coat SS is because it holds so much heat at its surface. You want to insulate that as best you can and also the ceramic will dissipate the radiated heat much faster than the raw substrate as well. If the money is not an issue save yourself some grief down the road and coat it.

Not sure what ceramic your supplier is using but just make sure it is NOT traditional bright ceramic. These engines run to hot for this type of ceramic..... You want a high temp ceramic rated at 1700-2000F+....

Thank you for the detailed information. If anything, it was good to learn a little about metal corrosion.

I just wanted to update everyone with my decision. With many things in life, I always try to go with my gut. I ordered the FT86 Speed Factory Catted UEL Header. It just felt right, and based on all the reviews I've seen, it seems to be worth the wait. Now I have something to look forward to in a few months.
ELutz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ELutz04 For This Useful Post:
gramicci101 (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #19
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
In the meantime, find places that will coat your header if you want to go that route.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #20
FT86POWER
Banned

Drives: FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Ceramic coating is not worth it unless your are going turbo. It will certainly look cooler but the benefit doesn't really justify the gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELutz04 View Post
Hey guys,

So every time I'd look around for a ceramic coating debate, it always turns into people talking about why wrapping your headers are bad because it can start a fire.

I really have no interest in wrapping the headers, but I am about to order FA20Club catted UEL header. I want to know if it is really necessary to get the ceramic coating (for an additional $175 and ~2 weeks delay on shipping). I honestly don't care much for looks, and I don't drive my car all that hard. I am a pretty typical daily driver; I don't race, and I don't go on the track. I do, however, plan on keeping this car for a very long time, so I'd like all the parts to last.

Last question, and this is more ignorance than anything, but what are the gaskets? FA20Club offers gaskets for an additional $20.

Thanks!

Eric
FT86POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #21
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Benefit justify gains? Wat? You mean benefit/gain justify costs?

I think it does... under hood temps and corrosion resistance alone would be worth it. It's not that much either, email price top pay when you're already spending money on a quality header and tune.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #22
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT86POWER View Post
Ceramic coating is not worth it unless your are going turbo. It will certainly look cooler but the benefit doesn't really justify the gains.

Traditional turbo setups kind of eliminate the need for a header.

As for the ceramic coating, just don't coat the cat. Other than that, it deffinitely won't hurt anything. Other than your wallet. :p
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #23
355rockit

Drives: Sci FR-S, Fer F355, Toy Highlander
I had may headers coated (don't coat the cats). It does help reduce engine compartment temps and does hide the header better if you get a darker coating in case of emissions inspection. I would recommend it... it is relatively cheap to get done. I went a bit overboard and got the top of the line 2000 degF resistant coating.
355rockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:29 AM   #24
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
If it's coated inside and out, it's protecting your investment. By investment I mean the header as it's corrosion resistance and all the plastic and rubber components that are anywhere near the header.

Now going turbo, I'd say it's pretty much required to go coated unless you're using some kind of other heat shielding, and even then it's good practice to use multiple ways of controlling the heat (coatings, wrap, and heat shields).
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:27 AM   #25
BC-Boy

Drives: 2013 Brz sport-tech
Garage
there are tests that have been done on the Nameless Header Thread, underhood temps were monitored on key components and also random underhood areas , which have turned out to be similar to noncoated. i personally wrapped my overpipe and i can touch it with my fingers just after a pull , and its not hot unless you literally press you finger and hold it. but you can also feel the radiant head from the wrapped overpipe is very very minimal then move my hand towards the uncoated / unwrapped header and wow its like a torch, as well as the frontpipe .. if wrapping wouldnt void my header warrenty id do it, and its also like a wick when it gets oil soaked, catchs fire easy. The absolute bomb is a custom made heat blanket , but thats dam pricey, check out the one Crawford had for his turbo set up its sick
BC-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:33 AM   #26
BC-Boy

Drives: 2013 Brz sport-tech
Garage
for the record ive seen countless people over the years wrap many many headers and downpipes on turbos , eg sr20s,4g53s,hondas,rb etc... not so much subies, and have never witnessed a crack, usually the cracks appear if a cheap mild steel was wrapped like a pacesetter header, or if the exhaust was improperly supported and cause unwanted stress on the motor portion of it, bad engine mounts also cause cracks etc etc,... i have seen the wrap desintagrate and make a mess in the hood, but newer wrap is better quality.
BC-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #27
wallace03

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Is wrapping a good alternative to coating?
Old 06-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #28
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage

Thread clearly states Ceramic coating.

And BC boy likes cars with his rice.
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote