follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
nickw14

Drives: Built FA20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Guidance to someone who is new to tuning

So I am strongly considering purchasing software/hardware so I can start tuning my car. I have actually been doing a lot of research but honestly, it has really only confused me more. I know someone who tunes their car themselves (although he owns a GM vehicle, so I'm sure it's completely different though the concept may be the same) and I have talked with him briefly on the matter. It seems like it is one of those things that you have to ask a very specific question about in order to get a straight answer. The subject is very broad.

Mostly I would just like your input on which route would be best for me to go. I have my options listed below. I understand that some of this is based solely on preference or my own opinions, but I am really curious to see what the community thinks of each of these solutions.

Tactrix OpenPort
This is at the top of my list right now. I really want more of a tuner, not a programmer. In other words, I would like to work with the maps myself and get some experience actually modifying values instead of having a programmer or a device with built in maps and map switching doing it for me.
Another thing that catches my eye about Tactrix is the price tag. At $169, the investment needed to begin tuning pales in comparison to the other solutions out there. This also raises a red flag to me. I don't know much about tuning, so I am not entirely sure that this device comes with everything needed to begin tuning my car. It seems that another disadvantage would be accessing community maps, or any other tuner's maps for that matter. Other solutions come with pre-made maps that do specific things. For the most part, those are pretty much guaranteed to work. With something like Tactrix, it seems as though I would either have to find free maps or buy into a pre-existing service to get maps from other tuners. Or, of course, just alter the stock maps myself.

OpenFlash
When I first looked at openflash, it looked like it was more like a programmer (which I want to stay away from). As I read more about it and did more research on it, it appears to allow you to edit and flash your own maps as well. This is a huge +1 for me since OpenFlash also has a nice interface and several pre-made maps for me to run while I am getting the hang of tuning maps myself.
So, why am I not sold on OpenFlash? The fact that it costs $500. That isn't a bad price really, but compared to Tactrix, I would rather spend less if I could. I also understand that OpenFlash is still under development. I am not entirely sure if that means that the maps that come with it are under development, or the whole device is under development.

Unichip
I have heard a lot about unichip not only from the fa20 scene but also from other scenes as well. One of my friends was talking about getting a unichip for his tc, for example. My view of unichip was always that it was more of a programmer type tuning solution than anything else as well. Correct me if I am wrong, but does unichip not allow you to flash your own maps to your ecu?
It's also a little more expensive that OpenFlash, and much more expensive than Tactrix.

I would really rather not fork out over $500-$700 when most of that is going to the maps that come with the solutions. I get that it probably sounds very risky for a beginner like me to NOT want to use pre-made maps, but my goal is ultimately to do all the tuning myself. I have people around me who can teach me, so I am not too worried about severely messing anything up.

If anyone can provide some insight into my concerns, it would be much appreciated! Thanks!
nickw14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nickw14 For This Useful Post:
adamg (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Go with OpenFlash. Find a used unit for ~$400 on the member classifieds, they come up more often than you'd think (people going EcuTek for FI, for example)

It is capable of doing EVERYTHING from a single-loaded tune standpoint. Editing via Romraider.. OTS maps for a lot of different configurations.

The most dynamic and rewarding features of the OFT are datalogging and ease of use via the touch screen. The other strong feature is that it does NOT sign your stock rom file, so if you ever had to go back to stock (warranty issues!) then fire up OFT, "unmarry it" via loading your stock rom back on, and boom! It's like you never were tuned in the first place.

--

I am personally a new tuner as well. I have learned (and still learning) how to re-scale my MAF (help via VGI's java app), correct knock (using Kode's tool), and tweak other cool settings, such as flat foot shifting and cold start fix.

The cold start fix alone is so awesome- I have catless headerback exhaust to a single exit FT86SFV2 catback... the setup is LOUD at cold start. I get up for 4am for work every morning and knew I had to change it. I went into Romraider, zero'd out the ignition timing post start (the bulk of the cold start "bark"), reset the MAF scaling post start table, and cleared the DTC codes associated so I don't throw a CEL (mainly P050B or whatnot.. ignition timing at cold start). Set the cold-start RPM to 1400.

Now when I start my car up, it immediately goes to the target of 1400rpm with NO IGNITION RETARD TIMING. Sounds almost like warm idle. I love the OFT and don't often champion for specific products or take the time to write at length about them if I don't firmly believe in them.

In the hands of a competent tuner, you could tune for custom FI kits. Shiv has some OTS tunes for, say, JRSC and others.. with more on the way.

OFT or Ecutek, tactrix and unichip don't hold a candle to them
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
adamg (02-16-2015), nickw14 (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
nickw14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
Go with OpenFlash. Find a used unit for ~$400 on the member classifieds, they come up more often than you'd think (people going EcuTek for FI, for example)

It is capable of doing EVERYTHING from a single-loaded tune standpoint. Editing via Romraider.. OTS maps for a lot of different configurations.

The most dynamic and rewarding features of the OFT are datalogging and ease of use via the touch screen. The other strong feature is that it does NOT sign your stock rom file, so if you ever had to go back to stock (warranty issues!) then fire up OFT, "unmarry it" via loading your stock rom back on, and boom! It's like you never were tuned in the first place.

--

I am personally a new tuner as well. I have learned (and still learning) how to re-scale my MAF (help via VGI's java app), correct knock (using Kode's tool), and tweak other cool settings, such as flat foot shifting and cold start fix.

The cold start fix alone is so awesome- I have catless headerback exhaust to a single exit FT86SFV2 catback... the setup is LOUD at cold start. I get up for 4am for work every morning and knew I had to change it. I went into Romraider, zero'd out the ignition timing post start (the bulk of the cold start "bark"), reset the MAF scaling post start table, and cleared the DTC codes associated so I don't throw a CEL (mainly P050B or whatnot.. ignition timing at cold start). Set the cold-start RPM to 1400.

Now when I start my car up, it immediately goes to the target of 1400rpm with NO IGNITION RETARD TIMING. Sounds almost like warm idle. I love the OFT and don't often champion for specific products or take the time to write at length about them if I don't firmly believe in them.

In the hands of a competent tuner, you could tune for custom FI kits. Shiv has some OTS tunes for, say, JRSC and others.. with more on the way.

OFT or Ecutek, tactrix and unichip don't hold a candle to them
Thanks for that information! Now when you say people are selling their OFT to go FI, I am assuming that means they are only doing that because of the base map tunes that comes with most FI kits? Otherwise, OFT could technically tune for FI, they just don't offer any OTS maps that will do so?
Old 02-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #4
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw14 View Post
Thanks for that information! Now when you say people are selling their OFT to go FI, I am assuming that means they are only doing that because of the base map tunes that comes with most FI kits? Otherwise, OFT could technically tune for FI, they just don't offer any OTS maps that will do so?
Typically people go Ecutek for two major reasons:

1. Their tuner recommends/requires it.. the platform is MUCH more prevalent, and professionals typically put their stock into what is most prevalent and powerful. Thus, the client will need to furnish that in order to get a tailored tune

2. Ecutek boasts some really awesome FI safety features, multiple map loading, etc. OFT can be custom tuned to an FI system and work just as well, so don't think it's not "safe" or that Ecutek can reach farther into the tuning file and tweak it.. but there's a lot of science that goes into the finer workings of an ECU tune file and Ecutek makes it easier to work with.

Multiple map functions with ecutek is really cool, but not a necessity of you're not a track/race guy imo
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:35 PM   #5
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
OP2's logging is also quite high-res compared to OFT, which can be useful in some cases.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
User configurable digital gauge displays, graphical/numerical histogram, programmable tuning alerts, multiple map storage, built in diagnostics and new features added regularly with almost all of them not requiring a laptop. This is the advantage handhelds have over cables. And this doesn't take into account all our free OTS maps (for NA, turbo and supercharger applications) that probably 95% of all tuned frs/BRZ use. Yes you can use our OTS map with non-OFT devices. But it would be nice to support the people who do the mapping work to make your car run better
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:13 PM   #7
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Tactrix OpenFlashTablet and Ecutek are all flash programmers ie they flash a rom to your ecu. Ie you connect device via obd port flash ecu and remove in a few minutes
They flash new ecu code and tables to ecu allowing hundreds of tables and parameters to be directly altered.

All three offer good logging abilities as they directly query the ecu ram at high speed.

UniChip is a piggyback device and requires it to be permanently wired in. It alters the sensor inputs to the ecu to trick or fool the ecu. Its very limited in its adjustments and logging capabilities .

Tuning using any of them requires reading research and aquiring knoledge, non of them will assist in that way.

Of the flash programmers Openflash tablet is the only one that comes with tunes for free.

openflash tablet and Tactrix do not lock or encrypt tunes and do not lock your ecu and dont write licience info to ecu.

Ecutek has extra features like map switching and can use sensor inputs for flex fuel systems and overboost cut if you require them.
But it locks your ecu to ecutek, no free tunes, tunes you buy from ecutek tuners are almost always locked so you cannot alter or read them you can only flash.
You can tune from a base map or stock map yourself with ecutek and all other flash devices.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #8
nickw14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
User configurable digital gauge displays, graphical/numerical histogram, programmable tuning alerts, multiple map storage, built in diagnostics and new features added regularly with almost all of them not requiring a laptop. This is the advantage handhelds have over cables. And this doesn't take into account all our free OTS maps (for NA, turbo and supercharger applications) that probably 95% of all tuned frs/BRZ use. Yes you can use our OTS map with non-OFT devices. But it would be nice to support the people who do the mapping work to make your car run better
That reminded me of another question...

Since OFT is in active development, what is the likelihood of a serious hardware update in the near future? I do not own an OFT, so I am unaware of any serious bugs or requests from the community that do have OFT's.

I completely agree with supporting the people who write the maps, I wouldn't feel right even using the free ones without an OFT
Old 02-16-2015, 08:02 PM   #9
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Since OFT is in active development, what is the likelihood of a serious hardware update in the near future? I do not own an OFT, so I am unaware of any serious bugs or requests from the community that do have OFT's.

I completely agree with supporting the people who write the maps, I wouldn't feel right even using the free ones without an OFT
Personal experience\opinion
I have an oft and tactrix

If you new to tuning buy an oft they are easy to use , if you can use a phone you can use oft. It comes with preloaded tunes for a variety of mods and E85 fuel. You can use it as a beginner and its still a powerful tool for experienced users. Second hand oft sell like hot cakes, for good price if you want to move on

Tactrix is great but it can be a bit overwheming for new users as its more low level it a very powerfull device , probably more suited to someone with a bit of tuning or flashing experience. you can also onsell tactrix. for good prices.

Both devices are very reliable and can receieve software updates to the devices to update and add new features to existing hardware.

have a read of links below to get an idea of what these devices can do
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Shiv@Openflash (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #10
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:

Thanks, there are no plans for hardware revisions in the foreseeable future. All the past and future updates are software/firmware related and processed automatically when you connect the OFT to your laptop with a WIFI connection.

No bugs that I'm aware of at this time. But multiple datalog file storage will be released soon.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
nickw14 (02-18-2015), Turdinator (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #11
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
As someone who is very new to tuning, I'd really like to weigh in on a couple of reasons why I chose OFT vs the competitors.

Ultimately, My goal is to stay NA. I have a tuner who is local to me @nelsmar) and is fantastic at tuning with ECUtek. He's helped a lot of our local group, and to be honest, that was really hard to say no to when he offered to help me relearn the craft I used back in Hondata days (2003 ish) but haven't used since.

When I decided to stay NA, I narrowed it down to OFT and ECUtek. Regular updates, people who understood the platforms and honestly the brand recognition played in here and I didn't like Tactrix when I had my impreza. Largely because I wasn't writing my own tunes.

I started asking questions, Like you. @steve999 and @Shiv@Openflash answered them all as simply as they could without somone having the platform, But I still wasn't sold. As I saved, I had about $500 to play with and I just couldn't get the ability to tune myself for that money on the ECUtek. So I called up the openflash guys to see if they could help me out with cost and they advised me of a sale going on their website. I got mine new for just under $450 shipped.

I've not had a single regret. The openflash guys are VERY busy, but will write a tune for you if you want to pay for that. Steve has been constantly assisting me with new links and posts, updates and information.

Currently, I am running a stock tune because I have an exhaust leak at the header to over pipe and wanted to minimize excess heat, ect. No fault of OFT, all my issue.

Before this, I was running a custom tune that I wrote through the feedback of the community using DATAZAP.ME to show them what I am recording and that felt amazing. To know I was the reason the 3k dip was smaller and the harder pull on top end. I was the reason the car felt stock to my wife who shifts it at about 3.7k, but became a different beast when you pulled into the 4.2k range.

All platforms have their pros and their cons. But the knowledge that I am possibly the most active OFT tuner in my local group and knowing that other users will help me with positive encouragement when I am learning new things... I hope to never give it up.... Unless I get into FI -- Where I will likely just have @nelsmar write a tune on ECUTek
Koa (02-18-2015), nickw14 (02-18-2015), Shiv@Openflash (02-17-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #12
nickw14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celadrielas View Post
As someone who is very new to tuning, I'd really like to weigh in on a couple of reasons why I chose OFT vs the competitors.

Ultimately, My goal is to stay NA. I have a tuner who is local to me @nelsmar) and is fantastic at tuning with ECUtek. He's helped a lot of our local group, and to be honest, that was really hard to say no to when he offered to help me relearn the craft I used back in Hondata days (2003 ish) but haven't used since.

When I decided to stay NA, I narrowed it down to OFT and ECUtek. Regular updates, people who understood the platforms and honestly the brand recognition played in here and I didn't like Tactrix when I had my impreza. Largely because I wasn't writing my own tunes.

I started asking questions, Like you. @steve999 and @Shiv@Openflash answered them all as simply as they could without somone having the platform, But I still wasn't sold. As I saved, I had about $500 to play with and I just couldn't get the ability to tune myself for that money on the ECUtek. So I called up the openflash guys to see if they could help me out with cost and they advised me of a sale going on their website. I got mine new for just under $450 shipped.

I've not had a single regret. The openflash guys are VERY busy, but will write a tune for you if you want to pay for that. Steve has been constantly assisting me with new links and posts, updates and information.

Currently, I am running a stock tune because I have an exhaust leak at the header to over pipe and wanted to minimize excess heat, ect. No fault of OFT, all my issue.

Before this, I was running a custom tune that I wrote through the feedback of the community using DATAZAP.ME to show them what I am recording and that felt amazing. To know I was the reason the 3k dip was smaller and the harder pull on top end. I was the reason the car felt stock to my wife who shifts it at about 3.7k, but became a different beast when you pulled into the 4.2k range.

All platforms have their pros and their cons. But the knowledge that I am possibly the most active OFT tuner in my local group and knowing that other users will help me with positive encouragement when I am learning new things... I hope to never give it up.... Unless I get into FI -- Where I will likely just have @nelsmar write a tune on ECUTek
Awesome review and great advice. It seems like OFT is really the better option for those of us who won't be writing many of our own tunes. It's great to know that the support behind the product is real.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickw14 For This Useful Post:
Koa (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #13
FReSh
Dirt Trackin'

Drives: '13 Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Is OFT flex fuel capability in the works/possible? That's an advantage that ECUtek currently has over OFT, I think.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #14
Toyota John
Calle Atun

Drives: 13 FRS, 93 Mr2, 85 ae86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
For flex fuel you need to repurpose one the the leads the the ecu. Everyone I have seen uses the secondary O2 lead. ECUtek uses the custom map feature to change the way the ecu interprets that voltage and turn it into use able data. I don't know it that is possible with OFT?
Toyota John is offline   Reply With Quote