follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2018, 02:18 AM   #1
KooshaS

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ Headlight Question

Hello all! I'm new to the forums and have recently purchased a 2017 BRZ from an auction and I'm fixing it up and plan on keeping it for as long as possible. So I have the the left headlight but the right headlight doesn't have the bracket or housing. I have the actual headlight but need the black housing with all the wiring and everything. My local dealer quotes me $850 for one headlight assembly so thats my last resort. I know 2017 had a design change so I was wondering can I just buy a previous gen BRZ (2013-2016) headlight and use the housing on that or will it not work properly? I can't find any used parts for 2017 and up and if I do, its been damaged too much. Thanks for any advice.
KooshaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:23 AM   #2
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KooshaS View Post
Hello all! I'm new to the forums and have recently purchased a 2017 BRZ from an auction and I'm fixing it up and plan on keeping it for as long as possible. So I have the the left headlight but the right headlight doesn't have the bracket or housing. I have the actual headlight but need the black housing with all the wiring and everything. My local dealer quotes me $850 for one headlight assembly so thats my last resort. I know 2017 had a design change so I was wondering can I just buy a previous gen BRZ (2013-2016) headlight and use the housing on that or will it not work properly? I can't find any used parts for 2017 and up and if I do, its been damaged too much. Thanks for any advice.
As long as the electronics are intact and such. I'm pretty sure any aftermarket bracket or housing that fits the BR-Z will help you as well. I'm thinking finding a used aftermarket spyder, winjet headlight for the brz or the like and removing parts from it to install on another. I think the only difference in the internals. This is because I've seen people put the 2017 headlights on the 2016s
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:29 AM   #3
KooshaS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
As long as the electronics are intact and such. I'm pretty sure any aftermarket bracket or housing that fits the BR-Z will help you as well. I'm thinking finding a used aftermarket spyder, winjet headlight for the brz or the like and removing parts from it to install on another. I think the only difference in the internals. This is because I've seen people put the 2017 headlights on the 2016s
That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. Theres this guy thats selling a set of headlights from his 2014 BRZ I believe for $200. I don't want to buy it and then have it not fit or work so I just want to double check or see if theres any other alternatives.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:33 AM   #4
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KooshaS View Post
That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. Theres this guy thats selling a set of headlights from his 2014 BRZ I believe for $200. I don't want to buy it and then have it not fit or work so I just want to double check or see if theres any other alternatives.

$200 is very cheap, probably cheaper than an aftermarket alternative. I'm also not sure how different the connectors are or electrical stuff is if permanent. Might be a full assembly and maybe best to just bite the bullet from subaru.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:57 AM   #5
KooshaS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
$200 is very cheap, probably cheaper than an aftermarket alternative. I'm also not sure how different the connectors are or electrical stuff is if permanent. Might be a full assembly and maybe best to just bite the bullet from subaru.
Thanks for the advice. Im going to go look at it tomorrow at the body shop to see what i can do