follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #1
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Aisin to Tremec

Been in contact with a Tremec rep,...if your interested in upping your driveline capacity to handle boost you seriously should consider swapping out the wimpy Aisin which only rates to 210ftlbs. I've been assured its an easy swap and he has done it to many FRS/BRZ's and he works and advises for the World Challenge teams running Tremecs.

Espaņol Search
OverviewProductionQualityCorporateLocations
Driveline SystemsTechnologyEngineering ServicesComponentsMotor Sports & AftermarketOur CustomersFTP
Job OpportunitiesResume
NewsIndustry EventsMedia Gallery

Home > Products & Services > Motor Sports & Aftermarket > Products > Magnum XL

Magnum XL 6-Speed Transmission

Introduced to the marketplace in 2012, the Magnum XL is a continuation of the popular Magnum 6-speed series. Featuring all the most important content from the original Magnum, the XL retains its brute strength and sophistication, but eliminates its multiple shifter locations and dual speedo outputs.
Refinements include a new extended length tail section designed to eliminate the semi-remote shifter found in many popular late-model applications.
Initially available for the 2005 and up "S197" Mustang, the Magnum XL was designed specifically to replace the OEM 5 or 6 speed transmission where performance improvements are desired. Simplifying the swap, the Magnum XL includes a SFI-approved steel bellhousing, crossmember, trans mount isolated shifter and shift ball and even reuses the OEM hydraulic clutch relase system.

• Trans mount isolated shifter and shift ball
  • 700 lb-ft torque capacity
  • Choice of two different gear ratio sets (2.66 or 2.97)
  • SFI-approved steel bellhousing
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Get him to provide some examples of where these conversions have taken place.
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Waiting for him to email me details and costs. But the ones put in are this one,...Magnum XL 6 speed,....700ftlbs of torque,...direct shifter.....I'm digging this a lot.
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
ft_sjo
Banned

From experience a sales rep doesn't have a clue what 'easy' means.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ft_sjo For This Useful Post:
Dimman (08-12-2013), Itsjusdame (10-13-2016), Mike86 (08-13-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
SigmaHyperion

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
"Easyl in a stripped and prepped World Touring car complete with a full time mechanic team, is a whole different world from John in his garage and his daily driver.

I'd be interested but only if something that could be had rebuilt from a junkyard was an option. 100% new has gotta be stupid expensive.
SigmaHyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SigmaHyperion For This Useful Post:
JohnJuan (08-23-2017)
Old 08-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
That transmission is about $3500-4K but it's designed to go in a Mustang...
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
NomoreNA

Drives: Raven FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I have been building mustangs for over 10 years so you can take what I say however you want. Tremec makes a good transmission, but they are very notchy especially for the first 1000 - 1500 miles while you break it in. They are also infamous for having issues under high RPM shifts which won't be an issue for those who do not have intentions of high reving cars such as mine. I'm not knocking the idea or saying don't give it a shot, but it may not be the best solution.
NomoreNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
dabocx

Drives: Scion FRS
Theres a few vendors looking at building the Aisin *no clue what that is exactly* might be easier than this. I know AWDtuning builds 5 speed wrx transmissions since those are glass compared to the STI 6 speeds.
dabocx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomoreNA View Post
I have been building mustangs for over 10 years so you can take what I say however you want. Tremec makes a good transmission, but they are very notchy especially for the first 1000 - 1500 miles while you break it in. They are also infamous for having issues under high RPM shifts which won't be an issue for those who do not have intentions of high reving cars such as mine. I'm not knocking the idea or saying don't give it a shot, but it may not be the best solution.
Had the TR6060 in my vette.. As you said.. was very notchy for the first 3K miles or so. especially when cold.. got better over time.. had no issues with high rpm shifts.. should be able to find a used one out of a wrecking yard for a reasonable price. The stock tranny might hold up pretty well being the rear wheels break loose so easily in the FRS.. of course larger sitcky tires will put more stress on everything.. something gotta give..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I swapped a 90's T5 into my 60's mustang.... fit like a glove.

You only need be concerned if it actually physically fits into the transmission tunnel of the car, the input shaft depth and pilot bearing match up to the flywheel (can be solved with custom bellhousing/adapter plate), input shaft splines are compatible with a clutch disc that fits you pressure plate, starter compatibility, output shaft compatibility (custom u-joint/yoke or driveshaft can solve that), driveshaft length, shifter position when installed in car, clutch actuation mechanism (hydraulic vs cable depending on what year transmission)...

Actually, those are a lot of things you need to be worried about.

Never had high-rpm shift problems, but my 289 only went to about 6K rpm

Lucky for me every mustang built from 64 1/2 to the 90's had pretty much the same bellhousing bolt pattern/depth. Was able to get a nice used world class T5 from ebay for about 250 shipped back when I did my conversion....
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
NomoreNA

Drives: Raven FRS
I guess I should specify on "high rpm" I spun my built teksid up to 9300 rpm and with the custom damper and valvetrain my FRS has no problem holding 9500.
NomoreNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
ft_sjo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf6mech View Post
Guess I used the wrong wording,....he is more than a sales rep.,... he also owns a speed shop that does among a lot of other things,...tranny conversions......so yah he is more than just a suit and would know.......geez guys a sh*t full of negativity here. I'm sharing my quest to find a solution for a matching trans. for the horsepower and wheel torque im running......very rough crowd.
Often reality is seen as negative to some people. Wishful thinking is easy, being successful is often not.

Thanks for clarifying this guys qualification. Still interested in more detail.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I recently sourced a T5 WC trans for my SR20VET powered race car, I have heard great things about the trans and I know it has only gotten better through years of development.

Anyone questioning the difficulty of a trans swap isn't equipped to do so and should refrain from commenting...either you know what is involved or it will be way over your head, swapping transmissions to a new model is never "oil change easy" but if all parts are provided and you can work on a car it should be fairly cut and dried.

also people lose track of what the purpose of the swap would be, no one is switching trans to improve shift feel, it's to improve torque handling,

I'm glad to hear the new magnum will fit in the trans tunnel,
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkullWorks For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (08-13-2013), RedReplicant (12-31-2021)
Old 08-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
degrees

Drives: 6MT BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf6mech View Post
I'm sharing my quest to find a solution for a matching trans. for the horsepower and wheel torque im running
Call @Don@Accelerated. They have a Tremec mounted in a customer's turbo FR-S. The solution needs a fair amount of fab work but it's certainly possible.
37 is offline   Reply With Quote