follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2013, 12:31 AM   #15
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I removed the panel down there, added some more tape, held some of the plastic back...still nothing, the rattle/buzz continues. It's starting to sound like it's coming from behind the dash, maybe in the gauge cluster or to the left of it or something. I don't know, but I give up at this point. It's going to the dealer this week.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
John86

Drives: BMW 228i TPK , 13 BRZ (LemonLawed)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think I've have this same problem. I noticed it about 10k miles ago and it's become worse. I've taken it to the dealer twice and both times they told me they couldn't hear it, or that it was within spec—whatever that's supposed to mean. I'm going to take it in again because it now happens pretty loudly every time I take my foot off the accelerator. It has always sounded like metal on metal to me, but it's hard to tell. I've also had a very hard time telling exactly where it's coming from, but it almost sounds like the wheel well to me. At first I thought it might be down by the speaker cover, but I'm now pretty sure it's either at the firewall or on the other side. The amount of rattles and issues in this car are really adding up—to the point where I don't plan to keep it past three years at this point, which is too bad because it is fun to drive. I'm looking forward to what your dealer tells you because mine has not been helpful so far. Best of luck.
John86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #17
Prog

Brought it to the dealer yesterday. Took the tech for a drive, and he clearly heard the noise. I will update the thread as soon as I have my car back. In the meantime, I'll be breaking in this brand new Forester for them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prog For This Useful Post:
snk828 (11-07-2013), sprintertrueno86 (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #18
Sookainian

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Mine also making some kind of rattling sound behind the dash while driving. I tried removing everything but couldn't find any lose wiring.

[ame]http://youtu.be/lUEf3E2IrPo[/ame]

To my surprise after i loosen this screw the sound is gone. When I tried tightening it back, the sound comes back. It sounds like the plastic is rubbing/knocking against the metal bar behind.

What i did was to take some foam padding and stick it in between and the sound is gone.

Going to test drive it later
Attached Images

Last edited by Sookainian; 11-08-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Sookainian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sookainian For This Useful Post:
Blunt (11-29-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sookainian View Post
Mine also making some kind of rattling sound behind the dash while driving. I tried removing everything but couldn't find any lose wiring.

To my surprise after i loosen this screw the sound is gone. When I tried tightening it back, the sound comes back. It sounds like the plastic is rubbing/knocking against the metal bar behind.

What i did was to take some foam padding and stick it in between and the sound is gone.

Is the noise you were hearing the same as the noise in my video? I also believe my noise sounded like plastic touching metal.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #20
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
I removed the panel down there, added some more tape, held some of the plastic back...still nothing, the rattle/buzz continues. It's starting to sound like it's coming from behind the dash, maybe in the gauge cluster or to the left of it or something. I don't know, but I give up at this point. It's going to the dealer this week.
I have this exact noise. Let's fix it!

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in NJ For This Useful Post:
initialrt (07-12-2014)
Old 11-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #21
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sookainian View Post

I'm hoping it's this simple.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #22
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
I have this exact noise. Let's fix it!
I removed so many panels and taped up so many things that I gave up and brought it to the dealer. I will update the thread when I get my car back and confirm it's gone. Hopefully they'll be able to tell me what the cause was so you can fix it yourself if you'd like, or you can let your dealer know the cause and quickly get your car in and out.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:04 AM   #23
pghfan19

Drives: honda civic ex
I've got a tapping noise coming from the drivers side dash. It happens while car is moving and for a few seconds once the car stops and is idle. I think its somewhere around the speaker on top of the driver's side dash. I've noticed if I push down on the speaker cover the sound goes away. I've tried removing the speaker cover but the tapping noise is still there.
pghfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #24
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghfan19 View Post
I've got a tapping noise coming from the drivers side dash. It happens while car is moving and for a few seconds once the car stops and is idle. I think its somewhere around the speaker on top of the driver's side dash. I've noticed if I push down on the speaker cover the sound goes away. I've tried removing the speaker cover but the tapping noise is still there.
That isn't what I have. I completely removed the speaker grill, mid, and tweeter, then stuffed a towel around the wires to make sure they didn't slap the dash.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #25
Prog

Update: Called the dealership for an update. Apparently they have some kind of device at the Acura dealership (the parent company of the Subaru dealership owns a few dealerships around here) that they can stick in random places to diagnose sound problems. They haven't figured out exactly what is causing the noise yet, but it is coming from the steering column.

More updates when I have them.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #26
connorlug

Drives: #1553 10 Series FRS
I've got the exact same noise from the steering column area. I'm a dealership tech but I decided to check the forums before I tore my brand new car apart. Let me know what you find and I can speak with my field rep and hopefully get a TSB started.
connorlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #27
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorlug View Post
I've got the exact same noise from the steering column area. I'm a dealership tech but I decided to check the forums before I tore my brand new car apart. Let me know what you find and I can speak with my field rep and hopefully get a TSB started.
Will definitely keep the thread updated. I really doubt they did any work on Saturday and they're closed Sunday, so hopefully they'll make some progress tomorrow. I miss my car, but I want that rattle/buzz GONE. It was so freaking annoying and that's just embarrassing for a brand new car.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #28
BRZprime

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have this same issue. I think it's coming from the wires near the fuse box but I haven't had the chance to stuff some towels down there to see if it fixes it.
BRZprime is offline   Reply With Quote