follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #1
86driftcar

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Two resonators and still have rasp

This weekend I finally went with a buddy who is running a sprintex supercharger to get the last piece of exhaust installed; "resonated front pipe" which cause his exhaust to sound as raspy as a honda fart can. He is pro tuned with ECUTEK and running catless UEL tomei header, tomei over pipe, resonated invidia front pipe and resonated & muffler invidia N1 cat back. Two resonators but still raspy AF. Does anyone know if this will eventually go away, wil a revision tune get rid of this raspy sound? I've searched all I could and cant find a solution, any help is appreciatted.

Last edited by 86driftcar; 10-14-2019 at 11:09 PM.
86driftcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #2
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
The combination of a catless header and aftermarket front pipe are going to contribute to the noise, as you've removed the two factory cats. The N1 can be raspy, especially with an EL header. You could try to use the stock frontpipe. Some people seem to have success with the JDL ultra-quiet frontpipe.

If it was me, I'd try the stock frontpipe first, then consider a different catback.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:05 PM   #3
BEZO760

Drives: Blue 2016 SCION FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've got

Header: JDL UEL header (no cat)
Over Pipe: Tomei over pipe (regular ol' basic pipe)
Front Pipe: JDL ultra quite front pipe (1 cat & 1 res)
Catback: Invidia N1( you know the deal)

No rasp at all. The JDL ultra quiet pipe really helps with rasp. The downside which I don't mind at all is it does drone at certain rpms on the highway.

All 2.5 inch not 3 inch.
BEZO760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #4
evoto86

Drives: manual Toyota 86
I have a Catless UEL Header, Aftermarket Overpipe. I have kept the stock front pipe and catback, cut out the resonator in the front pipe and replaced it with a Vibrant ultra quiet resonator and it sounds great now no rasp at all and better then stock. You could just do the stock front pipe and Vibrant ultra quite resonator I'm sure he will get good results from that as well.
evoto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86driftcar View Post
This weekend I finally went with a buddy who is running a sprintex supercharger to get the last piece of exhaust installed; "resonated front pipe" which cause his exhaust to sound as raspy as a honda fart can. He is pro tuned with ECUTEK and running catless tomei header, tomei over pipe, resonated invidia front pipe and resonated & muffler invidia N1 cat back. Two resonators but still raspy AF. Does anyone know if this will eventually go away, wil a revision tune get rid of this raspy sound? I've searched all I could and cant find a solution, any help is appreciatted.

The N1 is notoriously loud, you'd need a different catback to cut out the rasp.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:54 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,814 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86driftcar View Post
This weekend I finally went with a buddy who is running a sprintex supercharger to get the last piece of exhaust installed; "resonated front pipe" which cause his exhaust to sound as raspy as a honda fart can. He is pro tuned with ECUTEK and running catless tomei header, tomei over pipe, resonated invidia front pipe and resonated & muffler invidia N1 cat back. Two resonators but still raspy AF. Does anyone know if this will eventually go away, wil a revision tune get rid of this raspy sound? I've searched all I could and cant find a solution, any help is appreciatted.
Ya, put the OEM header back on.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:07 AM   #7
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Ace 250 header, hks double res fp, csg mxp touring86 catback. No drone or rasp and not much louder than stock. Sprintex SC didn’t really impact exhaust only added intake/sc noise and whine.

I have noticed slight changes to exhaust sound with tune changes, but nothing drastic, i wouldn’t expect it to solve your issue.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:16 AM   #8
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Ya, put the OEM header back on.

humfrz
Decatting the OEM header works well for unleashing some free flow, plus it's way quiter than a Tomei UEL catless header that I trialled, plus the only cost was 3 gaskets.

The Tomei header, which showed nil real positives or gains over the decat, apart from noise, alot of noise, was pulled and sold ASAP, the guy I sold it to got busted by the police for noise after about 1 week.....opps

As for the OEM catback, I'm running it with my AVO, the only other aftermarket bits is a cheap 2.5" overpipe and a SME 2.5" resonated front pipe, the car is as quite as, it was slightly louder with the decated OEM header though, it seems a turbo acts as an excellent muffler.

This makes me happy because I dislike loud for the sake of being loud.

The main reason for my SME front pipe was after decating the OEM frontpipe there was a bit of rasp and added noise, the resonated front pipe fixed the rasp.

I do wish I got the dual resonated now though, an additional glass pack would be icing on the cake, the quiter the better I say.

The little thing runs up perfectly, it sounds stock when I'm just plodding around, and all you really hear when I'm up it is induction.

These are linkys from Pulse Racing (tuner/workshop) on facehead if anyone is interested in listening, scroll down to 10 September for when it got the turbo, or al the way back to 20 March for NA tune with full decat and 2.5" header back exhaust (twice the noise, half the power) > https://www.facebook.com/PulseRacingWorkshop/

My build thread is in the signature block if anyone is interested in an older gents opinionated view on things.

Not as old as Humfrz, but I'm working on it.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-14-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 07:53 PM   #9
86driftcar

Thanks for replying yall. I have read and taken in some of your experiences, opinions. I feel like the combination of deleting the 3rd cat and the Invidia N1 is most likely causing he raspiness. When he was running the OEM front pipe there was no issue/rasp whatsoever so its definitely the catless front pipe.
He dropped in a K&N filter and as mentioned the catless but resonated invidia front pipe so we're going for a tune revision at the dyno this week. We'll see if anything changes and will report back... stay tuned...
86driftcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86driftcar For This Useful Post:
JesseG (10-15-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 03:32 AM   #10
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Your not gonna lose much running the stock FP imo. Just go back to stock FP and your Golden

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:33 PM   #11
kevaughan

Drives: BMW E30, 2014 FR-S
I had the same rasp problem as you when I was completely catless.
This front pipe changed everything and now the sound is much improved.

https://www.ft86motorsports.com/invi...-fr-s-brz.html
kevaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:40 PM   #12
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Why are you surprised there's rasp? The Invidia N1 and similar (Spec D) are basically the worst sounding exhaust you can buy for this platform. They have significant issues with drone and rasp even on otherwise stock exhaust, and after you go catless this just exacerbates this condition.

If you want your exhaust to not sound like garbage, buy a quality exhaust and stop trying to be cheap.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:54 PM   #13
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I just got a Arc grip catback for cruises and meets, sounds amazeballs, really deep sound, no drone..

AVO turbo, 2.5" overpipe, 2.5" resonated front pipe.

Slightly too loud for me for daily, but by no means loud loud.

My kids says it sounds better than my old 2015 STI with a turbo back Q300, less drone as well, the Q300 droned a bit .
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:59 AM   #14
keithyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoto86 View Post
I have a Catless UEL Header, Aftermarket Overpipe. I have kept the stock front pipe and catback, cut out the resonator in the front pipe and replaced it with a Vibrant ultra quiet resonator and it sounds great now no rasp at all and better then stock. You could just do the stock front pipe and Vibrant ultra quite resonator I'm sure he will get good results from that as well.
Hi, could you share the photo of the modified front pipe with the Vibrant resonator? From the spec, the resonator is 14" long, does it have enough space to weld it in without blocking the hanger position? How did you arrange the hanger position on the front pipe?

Appreciate your advice
keithyk is offline   Reply With Quote