follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #29
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
FWIW:

when I was in japan in 2005, I found a new (but open box) Nismo Super Coppermix clutch kit for RB25DET.

Bought it at Up Garage for $650 (after exchange rate). Sold it for $1650 and more than covered my airfare.

The problem in 2019 is that most of the (local) locations for Up Garage are constantly raided by US military personnel or folks living in Japan that know how to sell parts online. Add in 3rd party sellers like RHDJapan that are selling stuff for about 5% markup over distribution cost, and there's not a lot of margin and profit to be made for an operation like this in the US.

However, something that is still high margin is used wheels... specifically, if you can import used wheels, repair, and then offer to sell them for close to new wheel pricing since it is refinished.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
FTEIGHTSIX (10-08-2019), Tcoat (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 07:37 PM   #30
FTEIGHTSIX
Switched to the dark side

Drives: 91 & 95 240sx KA-T SOLD, 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Every car enthusiast US military personnel that has been stationed in Japan for the last 20+ years has been selling these parts on Ebay and shipping stuff back from Japan for cheap.

I am well familiar with their business model. I was already trying to raid places in Japan back in 2005, when the JPY was at 125 to 1 USD.

All the people in the US military have an advantage... anything they ship via USPS is shipped using domestic rates, so they can ship items for very VERY cheap across the Pacific.

Sorry, I've been in this aftermarket business for 20 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
FWIW:

when I was in japan in 2005, I found a new (but open box) Nismo Super Coppermix clutch kit for RB25DET.

Bought it at Up Garage for $650 (after exchange rate). Sold it for $1650 and more than covered my airfare.

The problem in 2019 is that most of the (local) locations for Up Garage are constantly raided by US military personnel or folks living in Japan that know how to sell parts online. Add in 3rd party sellers like RHDJapan that are selling stuff for about 5% markup over distribution cost, and there's not a lot of margin and profit to be made for an operation like this in the US.

However, something that is still high margin is used wheels... specifically, if you can import used wheels, repair, and then offer to sell them for close to new wheel pricing since it is refinished.

I 100% agree.

I used to have buddies stationed over there grab parts for me when I was in the 240 scene.

I feel as if it differs from what I’ve seen because most retailers in the US only offer a very small selection of parts for the twins as well as a lot of other vehicles. Most times, we see the same brands over and over again.

RHDJapan opens the door to more of the Japanese market, but they only sell new parts almost exclusively plus their markup and shipping costs.

To my understanding, the used parts market can fit somewhere in between 3rd party sellers and overseas retailers like RHDJapan because they can offer parts not normally seen at lower than retail prices with much larger inventories.

Profit margins of course are dependent on what they acquire their inventory for and logistics.

It’s hard to say what kind of parts they’ll have for us, but I think there’s definitely a place in the market for them.

It’s the same reason why Japanese motor importers are still around in Southern California, specifically some of the same ones I’ve seen more than a decade ago.

WTB: FA20 longblock in Socal or shipped.
FTEIGHTSIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #31
FTEIGHTSIX
Switched to the dark side

Drives: 91 & 95 240sx KA-T SOLD, 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Whether or not it’s sustainable is an economics question.

The economy is good now, so the business can thrive. Problem is... as soon as we have another recession, the market will plummet and disappear, much like it did 9-10 years ago.

WTB: FA20 longblock in Socal or shipped.
FTEIGHTSIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #32
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTEIGHTSIX View Post
Whether or not it’s sustainable is an economics question.

The economy is good now, so the business can thrive. Problem is... as soon as we have another recession, the market will plummet and disappear, much like it did 9-10 years ago.
It's not that simple, but I will say importers that buy from Japan directly (in JPY) are more exposed to a recession than others that buy via USD.

When a recession hits, the JPY spikes in value and the exchange rate often falls below 1 USD = 100 JPY. If it's below this mark, most importers lose (lots of) money and it's hard to adjust pricing in a manner that will cover your bottom line.

Only those that buy overseas in USD will be better isolated from a recession. Namely, those that buy from vendors that export in USD, which is a lot of East/Southeast Asia countries outside of Japan/China/S.Korea...
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #33
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
So is a physical location open yet in Torrance?
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #34
Thaeyo

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
So is a physical location open yet in Torrance?
It's online only, and they were planning to do will-call pick up. They haven't settled in to do in-store shopping.
Thaeyo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thaeyo For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (10-26-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 07:55 PM   #35
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
IIRC, the old store called RRR in Gardena was owned by UpGarage as well. Hopefully they will last longer this time around.
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote