follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yahoo: 10 cars worth waiting for

So, apparently yahoo has some differing info than what I've heard before.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/10-new-c...iting-for.html

Quote:
The joint-project sports car from Toyota and Subaru is now getting far enough along to report at least the following, even though we're certain much will change. The car is said to be very light, and to use at least two versions of Subaru's flat, 2.0-liter four, with output purported to be around 200 hp in the RWD Toyota model and 250 hp in the Subaru version. Toyota's edition bows first, reportedly late this year, and not as a Toyota, but as a Scion, with the name FR-S. The Subie, if it comes to these shores, won't arrive until mid-2012 at the soonest. Pricing for the SubaScion is expected to be in the mid-$20K range.

I wonder how much of this they're making up.

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
SOA Blog said their coupe will be on sale in Spring 2012. I seriously doubt the Scion will be on sale this year considering they are unveiling it in December. Unless they have already started production, or are very close, I don't think we'll be seeing them here until at least Q1 2012. That said, if it is really 250hp in the Subie, I will definitely wait for it. The rest of that article seems like it is purely based on rumors so I wouldn't put much faith in it.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It sounds like the subaru might get the 2.5l or 2.0l turbo if its going to have 250hp? If so the Subaru is the car to get!!!
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Random_Art
professional smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
It sounds like the subaru might get the 2.5l or 2.0l turbo if its going to have 250hp? If so the Subaru is the car to get!!!
Considering they've consistently said that there will be no turbo version for this car, I would lean towards a 2.5L engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceywilly View Post
SOA Blog said their coupe will be on sale in Spring 2012. I seriously doubt the Scion will be on sale this year considering they are unveiling it in December. Unless they have already started production, or are very close, I don't think we'll be seeing them here until at least Q1 2012. That said, if it is really 250hp in the Subie, I will definitely wait for it. The rest of that article seems like it is purely based on rumors so I wouldn't put much faith in it.
I agree. We haven't even seen a production version of any version of this car, so a December 2011 release from Scion is a bit of a stretch of believability.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Said it before and I'll say it again, if the Subaru variant comes with 250bHP (possible the EJ25 NA) then that's the one I'll be going for. I can wait a little longer for it to release.

But side note, how is the FR-S supposed to be released in the same month it's being unveiled?
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
ft86cbx

Drives: FT86 (Soon)
This isn't aimed at the OP. But I'm so bored of hearing magazines replaying the same things. Hell, even Toyota (when they say anything) just say the same thing in a different way...

We need more NEW info soon.
ft86cbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
imo they're just rehashing old rumors. its yahoo for gods sake...

can somebody give me an example of a true joint venture where one guy gets a better engine and the other guy doesnt? it makes absolutely NO sense that subaru gets the better car, unless its price is significantly higher. but i just dont see the subaru version, even with a 2.5L, being that expensive... lets say the scion is 23k. imo the subaru would have to be like 28k to have a better engine and not step on scions toes.
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
But side note, how is the FR-S supposed to be released in the same month it's being unveiled?
this just reminded me, the debut of the 1st Ford Mustang at a autoshow (cant remember which one) was the same day it hit dealers.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
MrVito
Grumpy Old Man

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S, 2010 Tundra, 80 626
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I really think the only differences between Subaru/Toyota/Scion will be the same as between the Talon/Eclipse/Laser dsm offerings of the 90's. Slightly different interiors, lightly different sheet metal, but otherwise mechanically identical. Even the 300GT and Stealth fell under the Diamond Star Motors project between Chrysler and Mitsu, and they were mechanically the same as well. It makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint, the unibodies and powertrains are all made in the same factories, the two manufacturers split the costs, and put their respective front ends/rear bumpers and dashboards on the cars. If one gets a higher trim level, they both do, and pricing would be competitive between the two, largely because people don't tend to cross-shop Subaru and Toyota/Scion. Just like people who went into an Chrysler-Jeep-Eagle dealership were not likely to go into a Mitsubishi dealership, due to brand loyalty. Enthusiasts know better, but if both cars are available at the same price, and look basically the same, I would probably buy the Subaru over the Scion, because I prefer dealing with the Subaru dealership in town.

Like was said before, yahoo is just recycling the garbage they heard from autoblog, motortrend, 7tune, etc.
MrVito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
GenkiElite

Drives: 91 Corolla (dd) S14 (daily drifter)
Top ten cars to wait for but I don't they have any valid information. Still speculation.

(Waiting impatiently for facts...)
GenkiElite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:33 PM   #11
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Drives: it like I stole it
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Art View Post

I agree. We haven't even seen a production version of any version of this car, so a December 2011 release from Scion is a bit of a stretch of believability.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Japan/Euro FT-86 was released December this year after the TAS, but I have a feeling the Scion will come at least a few months later. Most of Toyota's world-wide release cars debut in Japan first, then spread to the other countries and since it will be a Scion, it would make sense if it was delayed.
iff2mastamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
KevinDuMa

Drives: 2004 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Not much new information here but I thought it was interesting that they posted specs. While I was at the store I took a look in Car & Driver, Road & Track, and Motortrend and all of them had the Fr-S in the 2012 car section all of them with relatively the same info except Car & Driver said this car would be around 28 grand which is total bs in my opinion. Just excited this car is somewhat making progress and actually put on lists of cars to buy for 2012. Anyway I took a picture of the Motortrend excerpt, enjoy.

I'm also kind of disappointed with what they put as the tq but I guess we'll have to wait for real specs from Toyota.
KevinDuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #13
Random_Art
professional smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDuMa View Post
Not much new information here but I thought it was interesting that they posted specs. While I was at the store I took a look in Car & Driver, Road & Track, and Motortrend and all of them had the Fr-S in the 2012 car section all of them with relatively the same info except Car & Driver said this car would be around 28 grand which is total bs in my opinion. Just excited this car is somewhat making progress and actually put on lists of cars to buy for 2012. Anyway I took a picture of the Motortrend excerpt, enjoy.

I'm also kind of disappointed with what they put as the tq but I guess we'll have to wait for real specs from Toyota.
Dude... you don't need to post this on every thread.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #14
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVito View Post
I really think the only differences between Subaru/Toyota/Scion will be the same as between the Talon/Eclipse/Laser dsm offerings of the 90's. Slightly different interiors, lightly different sheet metal, but otherwise mechanically identical. Even the 300GT and Stealth fell under the Diamond Star Motors project between Chrysler and Mitsu, and they were mechanically the same as well. It makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint, the unibodies and powertrains are all made in the same factories, the two manufacturers split the costs, and put their respective front ends/rear bumpers and dashboards on the cars. If one gets a higher trim level, they both do, and pricing would be competitive between the two, largely because people don't tend to cross-shop Subaru and Toyota/Scion. Just like people who went into an Chrysler-Jeep-Eagle dealership were not likely to go into a Mitsubishi dealership, due to brand loyalty. Enthusiasts know better, but if both cars are available at the same price, and look basically the same, I would probably buy the Subaru over the Scion, because I prefer dealing with the Subaru dealership in town.

Like was said before, yahoo is just recycling the garbage they heard from autoblog, motortrend, 7tune, etc.
This is nothing new; car manufactures have been doing this for over 75 yrs. Badge Engineering

Tags
ft86, scion, subaru, toyota, yahoo